Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JRutledge;628632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Anyone can line up anywhere and block legally. But a wide receiver or back cannot line up where they are expected to be and block below the waist or block in the back or even clip unless they are on the line and in the zone. If you are saying a TE could do this, yes they could. But they would have to be awfully tight to do so.

Peace
That's always going to be a touchy subject...where exactly 4 yards is precisely for the definition of the zone. We've had this discussion between our crew and have come to the point where unless the center/guard/tackle gap is a tad bit wide..the TE (in HS) is probably going to get the benefit of the doubt and be considered in the zone. I've walked this off nonchalantly during gametime as an ump and more often than not, 4 yards from the ball usually gets me into TE space...at least somewhat. I'm not very tall with a big stride either. If half of his foot is even in the zone...he's considered in the zone. Any split at all and we'd have IBBW. IMHO, they should make it illegal for anyone outside the tackle slot to participate in the FBZ and that would clean up some of the clutter and confusion.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 10:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
No the don't. Just yesterday on TV I heard the announcer say something like the team is setting their tight end up wide. The player who usually lined up at TE was lined up far to the side, in the backfield, and there was a split end out even wider than him. I've also seen this happen where it is a RB lined up wide. Isn't this what you are saying a WR is? Then why is this ESPN announcer calling him a TE? It's because he is referring to what his normal position is, what he is listed as on the roster.
I guess I am missing your point. No one in this thread mentioned the TE and depending on where the TE is located in the formation, they might not be in the FBZ. If we use your logic only TEs can line up on the end and on the line of scrimmage. They often do not depending on the skill set of that player. But they still call them a TE.

The term was very generic and you have made a simple thing complicated more than it needed to be (and you are the only one making this point like your life depended on it). Gates for the SD Chargers is a TE and moves around all over any of their numerous formations. But if he lines up in a wide, he is restricted in how he blocks (and the reason they have a definition for a crack back block in the NFL). And the reason the question was asked so the person could get clarification to what a blocker wide of the formation could do. I will stick to the term even if you do not like it. Trust me, you will get over it.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess I am missing your point ... If we use your logic only TEs can line up on the end and on the line of scrimmage. They often do not depending on the skill set of that player. But they still call them a TE.
That is the point. People call it a tight end even when he is lined up wide. People call it a wide receiver even when he is lined up tight.

You said "The term Wide Receiver means they are wide on the formation" It doesn't. Just as being a tight end does not mean they are tight on the formation.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
That is the point. People call it a tight end even when he is lined up wide. People call it a wide receiver even when he is lined up tight.

You said "The term Wide Receiver means they are wide on the formation" It doesn't. Just as being a tight end does not mean they are tight on the formation.
LDUB,

I will still use the terms and I have never had anyone not understand what I was talking about except with you or on this website. I have never had officials not understand the term or get confused until now. And the fact that someone online has a problem with it tells me a lot honestly after 14 years of officiating. Do what works for you; I will certainly do the same.

What we call the position really does not matter. If you are not in the FBZ and on the line (at the snap), you cannot block below the waist anyway. It is that simple. What we call the position is irrelevant. But I have never had anyone ever think a wide receiver was someone as someone clearly on the line and in the FBZ. First time for everything I guess.

Peace