View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 10:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
No the don't. Just yesterday on TV I heard the announcer say something like the team is setting their tight end up wide. The player who usually lined up at TE was lined up far to the side, in the backfield, and there was a split end out even wider than him. I've also seen this happen where it is a RB lined up wide. Isn't this what you are saying a WR is? Then why is this ESPN announcer calling him a TE? It's because he is referring to what his normal position is, what he is listed as on the roster.
I guess I am missing your point. No one in this thread mentioned the TE and depending on where the TE is located in the formation, they might not be in the FBZ. If we use your logic only TEs can line up on the end and on the line of scrimmage. They often do not depending on the skill set of that player. But they still call them a TE.

The term was very generic and you have made a simple thing complicated more than it needed to be (and you are the only one making this point like your life depended on it). Gates for the SD Chargers is a TE and moves around all over any of their numerous formations. But if he lines up in a wide, he is restricted in how he blocks (and the reason they have a definition for a crack back block in the NFL). And the reason the question was asked so the person could get clarification to what a blocker wide of the formation could do. I will stick to the term even if you do not like it. Trust me, you will get over it.

Peace