The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Experienced Backjudges?

I noticed some real helpful "experienced" people on this forum in the past weeks. Just wondering if anyone out there has any advice for a new BJ, allthough I recently got assigned some varsity games at BJ prior to the season my preparation was 4 and 5 man HL and LJ, and in the past I worked only the flank positions in High school games. We use 5 man mechanics, I got some work at BJ in a scrimmage, and I understand the basics such as pre-snap routine, keys on specific formations, positioning depth, and goal line mechanics.

Im sure a lot of you will have suggestions so please let me know if there are any "tricks of the trade"
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Know Rule 6

Don't get beat

Know Rule 6

Don't get beat
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 05:53am
Chain of Fools

I've worked a bit of BJ in my career. Its not enough to get over the feeling that my rear end is hanging out of my shorts when I work it. It is weird to get used to the fact that you've got all that stuff in front if you and all that grass behind you.

Conditioning wise, you've got to adjust from a lot of side-stepping to back peddling.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Lots of good info in these 3 threads:

Advice for new Backjudge

First year as Back Judge...need some tips

Backjudge
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

You will earn your money on punts and with your dead ball officiating.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

On a dead ball when a player goes into hostile territory (the opponent's bench) Go In and get him out.

Never turn your back on the play. You will find on a pass right at you that you'll want to "get spun" away to officiate over your shoulder. Try to spin towards the play.

If you're going to be a BJ for a while and aren't going to have on-field play clocks invest in a Ready-Ref timer or something similar. They are a lot better than taking your eyes off of the play to check a wristwatch.

The Original Ready Ref Football Timer

Keep your distance

Never backpedal with a whistle in your mouth.

Never backpedal into a goal post.

Watch crossing routes for "pick" plays.

Watch WR on potential crack-back blocks.

Never go on the field with just one bean bag. (Its tough to bag both first touching and end of kick with only 1)

Goal Line!

When you drop back with a punt receiver maker sure he know what a legal fair-catch signal is.

And as has been said already, be able to quote rule 6 like its your wedding vows.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

At the end of the game, make sure HL gets his clip.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

You've got to decide with your wings at what yd line you will go to the end line and they will go to the goal line. Communicate WHO has the GL when you get down to that end. We use the 15-yd line as the time when the BJ goes to the EL and the wings cover the GL.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Backjudge

I am starting my second year as BJ. Things I learned from others and the hard way.

Presnap process:

Game clock running/not running and time on said clock.
Count defense and signal to LJ
Ready for play whistle and starting of 25 second clock( I use a very large wrist clock that has beeps on the count down. A must have IMO)
Read formation, know your responsibilities and make sure that your HL and LJ are on same page by having a great pregame discussion B4 every game.)
Know who your problem children are and be wise to their tactics.
Develop great relationships with FS and SS, they are your communication tools for help with above problem children.

At the snap:

Be on your toes and ready to move in all four directions. I found always taking a step back did not work for me. Read the play, go the right direction to see the blockers ahead of runner from inside out look and or move with the receivers that are your responsibility.

End of play:

All plays outside of numbers, be there to help get everyone untangled and to shuttle ball back. Dead ball officiating is your largest assett. OOB plays, go get the players and make sure you see the whole play oob.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

For your first few games, work on three things, pre-snap routine (Clock status and 25 second clock, player count, etc.), don't get beat deep and hustle.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

As many games as I've done as BJ...I'm not sure I can add anything real constructive that hasn't been mentioned yet. And yes, the Ready Ref is a great idea. Just sent mine back to Joe Grimm after 6 years with mine, and returned working like new....even got a call from him regarding the unit. Worth every penny.
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
at the end of the game, make sure hl gets his clip.
+1
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Crack-back blocks

[QUOTE=Reffing Rev.;623420]Watch WR on potential crack-back blocks.
QUOTE]

I always hear people say to watch for crack-block blocks? Are they illegal or only if they block in the back, down below the waist, etc.?
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

[QUOTE=stegenref;628545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Watch WR on potential crack-back blocks.
QUOTE]

I always hear people say to watch for crack-block blocks? Are they illegal or only if they block in the back, down below the waist, etc.?
The term crack back block is only a phrase used at the NFL level to describe an illegal act. There is no such terminology at the high school level or the college level. Only lineman can block below the waist and a WR is not a lineman by definition. So there is nothing special to watch out for, this block would be obvious to almost anyone if they understand the rule. There is nothing illegal about a WR coming back to the ball and making a legal block (above the waist and on the side or in front).

Peace
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Only lineman can block below the waist and a WR is not a lineman by definition.
I don't think that the term wide receiver is defined. WRs lining up as linemen is very common. Usually they are not lined up within the free blocking zone but if they do line up there then the blocks would be legal.