The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 02:50pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
He's called your bluff and you must either flag him for something he's allowed to do or you must back down.
Our state supervisor solved that by setting the time for the coaches to "retreat" back from the restricted area at the RFP whistle. They were told at the state coaches clinic, told in the pre-scrimmage rules clinics, and will be told in the pre-game conference.

As for us, our playoff lives are at stake if he sees film of the rule not being enforced so I'm fairly confident the SLW's will come fast and furious for the next 2-3 weeks.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

This is in the Ohio 2009 Season Manual for coaches and officials.

Sideline Safety

The sideline SHALL be clear of all players and coaches from the sideline to six feet outside the sideline. Please review NEW rules 2-3-g and 10-8-3. As a practical application – when the center touches the ball, the restricted area will be clear.

B. There is no longer a “coaches box”. When the ball is live no one shall be within 6 feet of the sideline. When the snapper touches the ball the restricted area will be cleared. All players and coaches shall be in the team box.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/manual.pdf

Last edited by bigjohn; Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 03:10pm.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Our state supervisor solved that by setting the time for the coaches to "retreat" back from the restricted area at the RFP whistle. They were told at the state coaches clinic, told in the pre-scrimmage rules clinics, and will be told in the pre-game conference.

As for us, our playoff lives are at stake if he sees film of the rule not being enforced so I'm fairly confident the SLW's will come fast and furious for the next 2-3 weeks.

OK, that's a NC rule/interpretation so you have to go with it. For the rest of us, I think that would cause more problems that it solves since it's such an agressive approach.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 03:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
The problem is that the when the R signals RFP, the coach is standing in front of you in the box signalling in his play. You tell him to get behind you and he politely but sternly reminds you that he has a perfect right to be there and will continue to stand there until the ball is snapped.

He's called your bluff and you must either flag him for something he's allowed to do or you must back down.
That's fine, but if he's not behind the line at the moment the ball is snapped, he's getting flagged. He doesn't get to "go behind after the snap."

And we will be very aggressive on this during the season. Our playoffs were threatened, too.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
The problem is that the when the R signals RFP, the coach is standing in front of you in the box signalling in his play. You tell him to get behind you and he politely but sternly reminds you that he has a perfect right to be there and will continue to stand there until the ball is snapped.

Guess it depends on whether his state association will have his back. NC has mandated us to enforce it from the RFP.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I wish the MIAA (massachusetts) would make that a point of emphasis. I'm a linesman, and you wouldnt believe how many assistant coaches think the restricted area is in fact their coaches box.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

This subject really burns me. I have no problem with throwing the flag - if they're in my way, they are affecting my ability to call the game. But the problem I have, and this is my problem, is that I flag them, and suddenly I am public enemy #1. And this reputation follows me throughout the year, in every sport I do, and following years. So, for doing the right thing, I get blackballed, and my crew gets blackballed. And since we are assigned games, it only makes the resentment grow. Rant off
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 10:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That's fine, but if he's not behind the line at the moment the ball is snapped, he's getting flagged. He doesn't get to "go behind after the snap."

And we will be very aggressive on this during the season. Our playoffs were threatened, too.
It's depressing hearing the crusty 35-year-vets at an association meeting (I belong to 3 and run the meetings this year for 1 of them) tonight talking about "tolerance" and "not going in with guns (flag) a-blazing." Of course, this is all driven by not wanting to pi$$ off the guys who rate them and their precious crews.

I simply don't care. We'll mention it in the pregame with the coaches, I'll have our wings remind them postgame, and they'll get one warning -- the sideline warning. After that, it costs them yardage.

If we're consistent from the first game, this will not be a problem at all within a week or two. And this moment reminds me why it's overboard to belong to 3 groups, too.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Since Indiana playoff assignments are done mostly based on coaches' votes, our playoffs could be threatened for enforcing this.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Since Indiana playoff assignments are done mostly based on coaches' votes, our playoffs could be threatened for enforcing this.
I guess it boils down to how important working a playoff game is to you.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

In my experience, a coach may not like when you enforce rules - but they do respect you. If the crew discusses this point of emphasis in their pre-game, and if the R reinforces this point of emphasis during the coaches pre-game, and the wing official reinforces this point of emphasis when he meets the coach before the game - and then the infraction is enforced, the coach will certainly understand. He probably won't like it - but I'm sure he will understand.

I would rather have the coach respect me for being a good official, than like me because I pander to him. I have seen too many times when a coach does a 180 and slams that official that panders to him and is "friendly" with him.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

My crew will use the same philosophy on this as we do on all fouls: we're not looking for trouble. It has nothing to do with what the coaches think, because coaches have no input on playoff assignments. I know of no mechanics that have the wing officials looking back over their shoulders either prior to the snap or during the play. My wing officials already work about a yard back from the sideline. If they have room to work during the play, the coaches are probably about two yards back. If they bump into one, it's a flag. Our first responsibility is to officiate the play. Coaches around here have always been good about giving us room to work. I don't expect it to be an issue.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Yet another reason why allowing coaches to have any say on who officiates their games is about the dumbest idea anyone ever came up with.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 11:22am
goldcoastump

Coaches should have no say in who gets playoffs and as far as I know in Georgia they do not. Our Officials Group does'nt maintain a "scratch list" and the coaches have no sayso in what officials they get. Granted Im not going to send someone back to a school where there was a problem this year but it won't affect next years assigning.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NJumpire9
How about the media?

Would a photographer or newspaper reporter roaming the sidelines be subject to this rule? Do you flag the hometeam, even if the "local' guy was roaming the visitors sideline or end zone? Does the responsibility lie with home management to keep them behind the 2 yd. zone the full length of the field?