The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
A week ago in WI at our WIAA meeting, there was a transparency that showed examples of coaches, players, stat boys, and photographers listed as people that will not be allowed in the box. From that, and the discussion that followed, it was my understanding that the sideline team is responsible for their area.

Rich or anyone else from WI...is that what you were lead to believe..?
The WIAA meeting I was at ended up with this as the process:
1) 1st infraction = flag and SLW
2) 2nd infraction - flag - 5 yd penalty
3) 3rd infraction = flag 15 yd USC1,
4) 4th infraction = flag, 15yd and USC2 w/ejection of HC....
5) if at any point prior to 3rd infraction, there is actual interference (either contact or requiring LJ or L to sidestep ) then go right to 15 yd USC1 .

Lots of guff from coaches at the meeting, but only 1 that was frothing at the mouth.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
This is how a discussion can digress to being extreme. I suspect, and would certainly hope, everyone is going to try and work with coaches regarding this rule revision to make it work. I don't think there is any need to alter the current sequence of gentle reminder, followed by a series of sterner reminders until there is reasonable compliance. The new rule might just make the overall interval somewhat shorter

I would expect a visitng coach to notice a photographer in the restriced area, before we might, and would want him out of that area. He might even look for assistance from a wing official if there was a problem. Obviously this would be a game management issue, but if we could be of assistance inconspicuously, we should help.

Charm is likely our best option, but if that fails I've found offering the annoying visitor a choice usually works. He can choose standing where I ask him to stand, or he can stand on the other side of whatever barrier separates the playing field from the spectators. If he's a real jerk, I'll simply stop the game until he removes himself, or game management has him removed. None of that is anything new.

The area more likely to present a photographer in the way problem is in the area of the goal line extended and around the EZ. Most will respond to a gentle reminder, but all MUST respond eventually.
Most varsity coaches use a get back coach, so I think the get back coaches job has gotten easier now to keep the players back, and he will notice if more than 3 people are in the box. Most of the fields here are turf and have had the markings updated so I will be looking forward to having a less congested sideline. Im glad the feds changed the rules.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 07:59am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFBUmp View Post
Lots of guff from coaches at the meeting, but only 1 that was frothing at the mouth.
Did anybody check for a pulse on that one???