The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Penalty Enforcment

Play 1: 1st and 10 on the 20. A1 pass to A2 complete on the 25 and runs to the 30 where he is tackled. During the run A3 illegally block B1 in the back at the 40. Is the basic spot, the end of the run at the 30 or the 40?

Play 2: 1st and 10 on the 20. A1 hands off to A2 and he is tackled at the 30. During the run A3 illegally block B1 in the back at the 40. Is the basic spot, the end of the run at the 30?
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Play 1: 1st and 10 on the 20. A1 pass to A2 complete on the 25 and runs to the 30 where he is tackled. During the run A3 illegally block B1 in the back at the 40. Is the basic spot, the end of the run at the 30 or the 40?

Play 2: 1st and 10 on the 20. A1 hands off to A2 and he is tackled at the 30. During the run A3 illegally block B1 in the back at the 40. Is the basic spot, the end of the run at the 30?
play 1: enforce from the 30.

play 2: yes. enforce from the 30.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

In both cases, the foul occurred during a run. Enforcement employs all-but-one: since the foul occurred beyond the basic spot (end of the run), enforce from the basic spot. As yankeesfan points out, that would be the 30 in each case.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Hope that these are just "scenarios" and not actual plays. Calling a BIB 10 yards in ADVANCE of where the run ended is weak.

The foul has no impact on the play.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
Hope that these are just "scenarios" and not actual plays. Calling a BIB 10 yards in ADVANCE of where the run ended is weak.

The foul has no impact on the play.
Unless the kid got whacked. "Player safety, coach."
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

No, real play...the first one.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Unless the kid got whacked. "Player safety, coach."
It would have to be pretty bad for me to call it, but if I do call it, I have a personal foul, not a block in the back...

Last edited by refbuz; Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 12:06pm.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

question on a block in the back call?

Quote:
It would have to be pretty bad for me to call it, but if I do call it, I have a personal foul, not a block in the back...

If one of our WR's is pushed by a defender but his momentum leads him to hit a different defender in the back near the ball carrier, is that a block in the back?

It happened to us earlier this year and we got penalized?

Sound normal? Or do you believe the Ref did not see the initial defender hit our guy into theirs?

Thanks, KB
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Kurt:
I had the dame situation in my last game. I clearly saw the O player hit by a D player and 'bounce' into another D player for what normally would have been called an illegal block (this was actually a low block on a kick).
One of my colleagues saw the low hit and flagged it. After telling him I saw the whole action and it was a hit from a D player that resulted in the A players motion, we just told our WH to wave off the flag and continued.

Unfortunately the initial contact can sometimes be missed - just like retaliation during a fight.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22 View Post
I had the dame situation in my last game.
I've never heard of an extra-marital affair described this way, but please -- stay on topic!
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBryan View Post
If one of our WR's is pushed by a defender but his momentum leads him to hit a different defender in the back near the ball carrier, is that a block in the back?

It happened to us earlier this year and we got penalized?

Sound normal? Or do you believe the Ref did not see the initial defender hit our guy into theirs?

Thanks, KB
Strange things happen in this game of ours so I would say that it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Based on your description, If I saw the whole thing I would pass on the call. With seeing the whole thing being the key phrase. Sometimes we only catch the tail-end of the play and have to make a snap decision. If it looks like a train wreck then odds are I am probably gonna call it. If it is something screwy like the play you described, I wouldn't hesitate to talk to another member of my crew for any input if I am the only one with the foul to see if they saw anything else.

Did you see the whole thing as it happened or did you only pick it up after watching the film? If you saw the whole play did you ask the covering official for an explanation of what he saw?

Maybe the covering official saw it and decided that your receiver's contact with the other defender was avoidable and warranted a flag, or maybe he flat out missed it.

Seems to me that you're not happy with the covering official's call. Would you feel the same way if it happened to YOUR defender?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Strange things happen in this game of ours so I would say that it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Based on your description, If I saw the whole thing I would pass on the call. With seeing the whole thing being the key phrase. Sometimes we only catch the tail-end of the play and have to make a snap decision. If it looks like a train wreck then odds are I am probably gonna call it. If it is something screwy like the play you described, I wouldn't hesitate to talk to another member of my crew for any input if I am the only one with the foul to see if they saw anything else.

Did you see the whole thing as it happened or did you only pick it up after watching the film? If you saw the whole play did you ask the covering official for an explanation of what he saw?

Maybe the covering official saw it and decided that your receiver's contact with the other defender was avoidable and warranted a flag, or maybe he flat out missed it.

Seems to me that you're not happy with the covering official's call. Would you feel the same way if it happened to YOUR defender?

Thanks for the insight guys, appreciate it.

I have made it a point in my 23 years of coaching, 99.9% of the time, I kill the Officials with kindness, I have no desire or need to scream or yell at Officials. I know how hard it is for them to do their jobs, etc.

Keep it rolling and thanks, KB