The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Zebra06
New Official Needing Some Simple Help...

Hi everyone,

I just became qualified to officiate footbal and am looking to make sure I get all the proper equipment for the upcoming season. Would someone here please take a few moments to identify on a list all the equipment/uniform items that I'll need to get started this fall? I already have a few items from working lacrosse in the spring and so I don't necessarily need a "starter pack" from one of the well-known vendors. Also, I do want to keep on low budget if I can.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 05:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cold Weather Starter Package

Warm Weather Starter Packages

These are two good places to start. Specific items are sometimes personal, but this should give you and idea what you need or should use at the beginning.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

2 flags, 2 bean bags, FITTED hat, whistle, knickers, short sleeve, long sleeve, penalty reporting card and bullet pencil. Rule and case books, simplified and illustrated is great when getting started, and Reddings Study Guide is great at explaining the rules in more detail. You are from Penn., so you probably want some long sleeve Under Armour and cold gear leggings also.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 06:07pm
M.A.S.H.

Although you have a few of the things used in lacrosse (whistle, short sleeve shirt, etc) it's probably going to be better just to buy a package. Just my two cents...
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Extra whistle, extra socks. Probably the only two items that I buy some new ones every year and I've been doing this for 30 years.

Don't waste money on a jacket. For cold weather, I dress in layers, Underarmour, sweatshirt, etc. The jackets are too cumbersome and look amateurish.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

ways to save money

If you're told you need a clip and a down marker, you can save money. istead of the $8 clip, but a $3 spring hook at a hardware store with something easy to see on the other end. I use a small float, but another guy I know uses a few links of a yellow plastic chain.

Two or three rubber bands do the same thing as a $6 elastic down indicator.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

I would agree that it is important to have an extra whistle and extra socks available.
Don't forget a watch.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Reply:

here is my list

* Black hat with white piping
* Short sleeve striped football shirt
* Long sleeve striped football shirt
*If required, state association patch and American flag attached at specified location.
* Whistle and lanyard (or fingle whistle)
* Game data card for recording timeouts, fouls, etc.
* Watch or other timing device (If you will have timing responsibilities)
* Elastic down indicator
* Bean bag (white unless otherwise specified).
* Weighted Penalty marker (Yellow flag)
* White knickers for varsity games. In my area we wear black shorts for JV games and below.
* Black belt
* Football officiating socks. In my area we don't wear the officiating socks when wearing black shorts. We just wear white socks.
* Black shoes (some states require COMPLETELY black shoes).
* Shoe shine
* Chain clip
* If desired, a black undershirt
* If desired, white compression shorts (holds shirt in place)
* Something to pack all this in.

It it always best to be prepared in case something breaks, gets overly soiled or dingy, gets lost, or rips, so buying two of each item is advisable. I suggest talking with an official from your area about this list and keeping in mind the level you will work.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears
Reply:
* If desired, white compression shorts (holds shirt in place)
Mike,

Good list, but I would move the white compression shorts from "if desired" to "necessary. It looks more professional when stripes are not seen through the knickers.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Mike,

Good list, but I would move the white compression shorts from "if desired" to "necessary. It looks more professional when stripes are not seen through the knickers.
I've tried both and black compression shorts cover the stripes better IMO.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Mike,

I think that is a good addtion. I dont' want to start the debate about black vs white
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Great list. I would add maybe not immediately and in order a second bean bag (they tend to get lost), a second flag (small one to supplement the first, chances are and you hope it is never needed), and a reversible jacket (someone mentioned they never need it but black side out looks good and depending on the weather, can feel good before the game starts.)
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I've tried both and black compression shorts cover the stripes better IMO.

I have white and black compression shorts, both hide the stripes. They also have done wonders for my legs, have not had any muscle pulls at all.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a complete list of my gear and it comes from different vendors:

-- Richardson Flexfit hats (you'll probably just need the black; I rotate 3 black hats during the year)
-- Official's Choice shirts -- short and long sleeve; I have 2 Honigs shirts with the new material that I don't like due to the collar, but you may like them;
-- Honigs Elite knickers; they have athletic and regular cut
-- Nylon tube socks; some wear the fitted ones, but I can't find any fitted socks I like; 2 or 3 pair of tube socks will hold up for a year and next year you can wear them for your bad weather games
-- I've worn Spotbuilt shoes for 3 years, but this year am going to the New Balance ones
-- you can get pretty much any belt a supplier sells
-- I use Honigs flags, bean bags, cards (for varsity games; I made my own cards for subvarsity games) and card holder
-- I have 2 old flags for bad weather, one new one for good weather, and a heavy weighted flag for when I work back judge
-- Fox 40 whistles; I wear the cushioned kind in football (but regular in hoops)
-- I wear a smitty lanyard; the finger whistles aren't for me, but you may like them
-- a quarter or half dollar

Underneath all this, I wear Underarmour tights, Brooks briefs, and Feetures light socks. I have also worn the UA sleeveless shirt, though this year I'm trying out the Asics brand. I wear a Nike Pro long sleeved shirt for bad weather games (more comfortable than the UA) and have a pair of runner's gloves. But I wouldn't worry about cold weather stuff until mid to late October, depending on where you are.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH
I have white and black compression shorts, both hide the stripes. They also have done wonders for my legs, have not had any muscle pulls at all.
I have used the black shorts in the past as I use them for basketball. This year I am switching to the white shorts for football.