The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 10, 2000, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am moving to the Virginia Beach area soon and I am wanting to start officiating basketball. I have played womens basketball on the high school and collegiate level, but all I know about officiating is what I have seen on the court. If someone would be so kind to send me in the right direction of how to get started or who to call I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You!!
Old Fri Mar 10, 2000, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Join your State H.S. Activities Association. You can contact any Athletic Director at any sigh school and they will give you the address. Also you need to find a mentor and go to camps.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2000, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Find a local assoc. to see if they have classes, mentors, or prep sessions for the test.

After you pass, Good Luck! Your life will never be the same.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2000, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

First, contact the Virginia State Athletic Association or whatever governing body tests and certifies sports officials for your state. (As advised previously, Athletic Directors will have this info.) Most states, for a small fee (in Pennsylvania it's $25.00), they will send you preparational materials, a current NFHS rule book and dates & locations for the exam. Once you've passed the test, you will join a Chapter or "group" of officials which there will be several in your area. Do your homework here (something I did not do)...find out which chapters have organized programs in place to train new officials. In my case, I was given a complimentary whistle, a Case Book, a schedule of games, and a "Good Luck". If it hadn't been for a veteran official stepping forward to mentor me, I'm not sure that I would have survived that first year. Anyway, that's my opinion on how to get started. You are to be commended for your interest in officiating! Always remember that you're doing a great service to those kids out there by giving them a fair and equitable opportunity to play the game. Best of luck to you as you enter this fine vocation!