The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a junior high girls' game last night.

Blue team has ball OOB for throw-in under their basket. Blue player inbounds the ball in the key. Red player intercepts the pass, and shoots at the blue team's basket. The shot doesn't go in, and the red player rebounds her missed shot, and then starts to go up for another attempt. My partner blows his whistle for dead ball, and starts to give the ball back to the blue team for another OOB throw-in. The red team's coach starts yelling, and says we should have left well alone and not blown the whistle. He says his team should have the ball OOB as his player had possession when the whistle was blown.

I figure we blew the call, but what is the correct call here? And if we didn't blow the whistle and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, then what? I have read this a few times, but my muddled brain can't remember.

GregAlan
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan

Blue team has ball OOB for throw-in under their basket. Blue player inbounds the ball in the key. Red player intercepts the pass, and shoots at the blue team's basket. The shot doesn't go in, and the red player rebounds her missed shot, and then starts to go up for another attempt. My partner blows his whistle for dead ball, and starts to give the ball back to the blue team for another OOB throw-in. The red team's coach starts yelling, and says we should have left well alone and not blown the whistle. He says his team should have the ball OOB as his player had possession when the whistle was blown.

I figure we blew the call, but what is the correct call here? And if we didn't blow the whistle and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, then what? I have read this a few times, but my muddled brain can't remember.

GregAlan
Legalistically speaking, partner shouldn't have blown and should have begun a 10-second count. There's no reason to stop play until the 10-second count is up, or until the ball goes in the basket. If she makes the shot, the score counts for blue, and red gets the ball oob.

Once your partner blew there were no good choices. Giving the ball back to blue doesn't seem right. But then neither is giving it to red. I think you have to go with the arrow, and hope everyone forgets about the whole thing.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan

GregAlan
You start a 10 second back court count. If they dribble, "shoot" and catch the ball, without it touching another player, or "shoot" catch and dribble you have a double dribble. If they make the shot, you blow your whistle, count the basket for the other team and give the ball to the team that made the basket at the wrong goal, with the endline to run.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

And remember, if the "shooter" is fouled,it is not a 2 shot foul. No bonus, their ball OOB. If bonus is in effect, GO TO THEIR BASKET and shoot the FT(s).
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, If they dribble, "shoot" and catch the ball, without it touching another player, or "shoot" catch and dribble you have a double dribble.
Thanks, I forgot this aspect.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, If they dribble, "shoot" and catch the ball, without it touching another player, or "shoot" catch and dribble you have a double dribble.
Actually, I forgot another one. If they "shoot" catch it off the backboard and "shoot" again, that's also a double dribble.

I should have also pointed out that their "shot" needs to strike the backboard.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Once your partner blew there were no good choices. Giving the ball back to blue doesn't seem right. But then neither is giving it to red. I think you have to go with the arrow, and hope everyone forgets about the whole thing.
From the original sitch it sounds like the red player still had the ball when the partner blew it dead. If that is the case, then it is definitely red's ball OOB. They were in possesion when the "inadvertent" whistle occurred. If the ball were in the air for a "shot," it is still red's ball as team possession ends on a try. Shooting at the wrong basket is not a try.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I forgot another one. If they "shoot" catch it off the backboard and "shoot" again, that's also a double dribble.

If the "shot" doesn't hit the backboard, and the "shooter" gets the rebound, is that considered passing to herself or double dribble?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If the "shot" doesn't hit the backboard, and the "shooter" gets the rebound, is that considered passing to herself or double dribble?
If it does not hit anything and they catch it in the air it's a walk. If it hit's the floor they began a dribble, so it would depend on if they dribbled prior to the "shot". There is nothing in the rule book that I could find that mentions if their "shot" only hits the rim, part of me wants to include the rim with the backboard, but there is no rule support.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
"Passing to herself", but that;s not a violation unless the pivot foot moved.

Also, if the "Shot" was a jump shot and A1 gets the "rebound" after the ball hit the backboard, that's travelling for lifting the pivot foot before starting the dribble.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

if whistle was inadvertent don't we always go to the arrow--not a rule i like but isn't that the rule on an inadvertent whistle?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
if whistle was inadvertent don't we always go to the arrow--not a rule i like but isn't that the rule on an inadvertent whistle?
No. Only when there's no team control (or disposal). 7.5.4
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This one should be simple.....
Not as simple as you thought !
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Also, if the "Shot" was a jump shot and A1 gets the "rebound" after the ball hit the backboard, that's travelling for lifting the pivot foot before starting the dribble.
Wow, I'd love to see that call!! Jump shot, ball hits backboard. . .TWEET!! Travel. That would be a fun one to watch.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Wow, I'd love to see that call!! Jump shot, ball hits backboard. . .TWEET!! Travel. That would be a fun one to watch.
You'd want to watch it from the stands. This person's partner is gonna have no fun at all cleaning up afterward!