The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

What do you do with clock if he takes snap in shotgun and throws directly to ground? takes hand to hand snap trys to throw to ground and hits center's leg?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Basketball
What do you do with clock if he takes snap in shotgun and throws directly to ground? takes hand to hand snap trys to throw to ground and hits center's leg?

The clock stops for the incomplete pass but the WH has the authority to start it on the ready.

Assuming the pass hits the center's leg and then falls to the ground then I would say it is a legal spike. There is a play in the case book similiar to this other than the ball comes back up to the QB and he spikes it again. In this situation the 2nd throw is an illegal forward pass. Unless the center makes an attempt to catch it or does catch it it is not illegal touching.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

MRH beat me to it, with the case book play about a pass hitting a lineman in the back. We had this same thing happen Friday night but called intentional grounding because the QB was under duress and was unloading the ball to avoid loss of yardage, etc. It does help to stop and think once in awhile.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Excuse me while I cry cause you yelled at me. Boo hoo. Oh, I can do whatever I like, too.

And the word is consistency. With an "e."
I'm glad you are not in our organization. Its people like you that give the good officials a bad name. Why don't you do us all a favor and QUIT!!! You "can do whatever you like" So you think you are above the rules. Well in my eyes you're nothing more than pond scum and you would never officiate a varsity game in our organization.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 02:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesels
I'm glad you are not in our organization. Its people like you that give the good officials a bad name. Why don't you do us all a favor and QUIT!!! You "can do whatever you like" So you think you are above the rules. Well in my eyes you're nothing more than pond scum and you would never officiate a varsity game in our organization.
Boo hoo hoo. I'm really hurt, now.

If you guys allow a spike from the shotgun, it's your organization that has problems. Notice that nobody else here advocates a spike from the shotgun being legal. I guess everyone else should quit, too. And perhaps you should post more than 4 times before calling people names. Just a thought that I'm sure you'll ignore, troll.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 02:39pm.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

A shotgun spike is not a legal spike.

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 03:44pm.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now throw this twist into it: QB is getting rushed and sees his RB trying to block and he throws it as his RB's feet obviously avoiding the sack but you don't call that an illegal forward pass or intentional grounding. WHY???? Because you always say he had an eligible receiver in the area!!!! Same thing as being in a shotgun formation and spiking the ball, just that he is not being rushed and you're going to call illegal forward pass or intentional grounding. I see why the coaches get screwed up and yell at us the way that they do because you're not being consistant. If you don't call it when the QB is being rushed you better not call it when he is not being rushed!!!!!!
These are two different situations. The spike is legal only within a very specific set of circumstances. It is not legal from the shotgun, and in that case breaks this rule: "A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time."

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
These are two different situations. The spike is legal only within a very specific set of circumstances. It is not legal from the shotgun, and in that case breaks this rule: "A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time."

Yes they are two different situations but both have the same ending. Both are throwing the ball away to conserve time or loss of yardage. I love how everyone seems to think its ok to throw the ball at the RB's feet when the QB is being rushed but what is he trying to do (hint...doesn't want to get sacked) avoid loss of yardage!!!??? So my point is if there is an elligible receiver in the area when the QB is throwing at his feet when the QB is being rushed and you let that go then justify throwing an intentional grounding call when the QB is in a shotgun formation and has an eligible receiver in the area and throws the ball to the ground. I know its a judgement call and you are not in the head of the QB but we all know what he is doing when he throws the ball at his receiver's feet when he is being rushed.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes they are two different situations but both have the same ending. Both are throwing the ball away to conserve time or loss of yardage. I love how everyone seems to think its ok to throw the ball at the RB's feet when the QB is being rushed but what is he trying to do (hint...doesn't want to get sacked) avoid loss of yardage!!!??? So my point is if there is an elligible receiver in the area when the QB is throwing at his feet when the QB is being rushed and you let that go then justify throwing an intentional grounding call when the QB is in a shotgun formation and has an eligible receiver in the area and throws the ball to the ground. I know its a judgement call and you are not in the head of the QB but we all know what he is doing when he throws the ball at his receiver's feet when he is being rushed.
What you are missing is the specific rule that specifies the legality of spiking the ball to stop the clock. You seem, however, to just be wanting to argue instead of learn. I don't have the energy for just arguing right now.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Boo hoo hoo. I'm really hurt, now.

If you guys allow a spike from the shotgun, it's your organization that has problems. Notice that nobody else here advocates a spike from the shotgun being legal. I guess everyone else should quit, too. And perhaps you should post more than 4 times before calling people names. Just a thought that I'm sure you'll ignore, troll.
I see why you have over 4000 postings!!! Its because you suck and don't get any varsity games. I see that no one is advocating the shot gun spike but everyone is allowing the the ball thrown at the RB's feet to save loss of yardage. Its the same point that you, stupid moron that you are, are failing to realize. So you keep posting and keep doing the sub varsity games while those of us that know the rules and know how to officiate and keep control of the game keep going to officiate the state finals on a regular basis.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What you are missing is the specific rule that specifies the legality of spiking the ball to stop the clock. You seem, however, to just be wanting to argue instead of learn. I don't have the energy for just arguing right now.

I know the specific rule and what it states. There also is a specific rule on intentional grounding and we all seem to overlook that rule "because there is an elligible receiver in the area"
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see why you have over 4000 postings!!! Its because you suck and don't get any varsity games. I see that no one is advocating the shot gun spike but everyone is allowing the the ball thrown at the RB's feet to save loss of yardage. Its the same point that you, stupid moron that you are, are failing to realize. So you keep posting and keep doing the sub varsity games while those of us that know the rules and know how to officiate and keep control of the game keep going to officiate the state finals on a regular basis.
Thank you for your response to Rich. I was looking for a reason to expand my ignore list.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Gentlemen, what happened to our professional ethics & couresty towards our fellow officials. Just because one of us says something out-of-place, that doesn't give the rest of us any reason what so ever to act or respond in a like or worse manner. That stuff just doesn't belong on an official's professional forum...

Last edited by FeetBallRef; Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 09:48am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for your response to Rich. I was looking for a reason to expand my ignore list.

Cute I see you defend your boyfreind really well...lmao
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Wesels, I feel sorry for the crew you're on if your conduct on this forum is a reflection of your game management skills.