View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
These are two different situations. The spike is legal only within a very specific set of circumstances. It is not legal from the shotgun, and in that case breaks this rule: "A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time."

Yes they are two different situations but both have the same ending. Both are throwing the ball away to conserve time or loss of yardage. I love how everyone seems to think its ok to throw the ball at the RB's feet when the QB is being rushed but what is he trying to do (hint...doesn't want to get sacked) avoid loss of yardage!!!??? So my point is if there is an elligible receiver in the area when the QB is throwing at his feet when the QB is being rushed and you let that go then justify throwing an intentional grounding call when the QB is in a shotgun formation and has an eligible receiver in the area and throws the ball to the ground. I know its a judgement call and you are not in the head of the QB but we all know what he is doing when he throws the ball at his receiver's feet when he is being rushed.