The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Where's the moderator? Wesel's posts are an embarassment to this forum and should be deleted.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesels
I see why you have over 4000 postings!!! Its because you suck and don't get any varsity games. I see that no one is advocating the shot gun spike but everyone is allowing the the ball thrown at the RB's feet to save loss of yardage. Its the same point that you, stupid moron that you are, are failing to realize. So you keep posting and keep doing the sub varsity games while those of us that know the rules and know how to officiate and keep control of the game keep going to officiate the state finals on a regular basis.
I am a varsity crew chief. I work every week, sometime 2-3 games a week depending on availability. I formed my crew in 2003 after moving here and the same core 3 officials have been on the crew since then.

Around here we all work subvarsity games, too. How am I supposed to improve my crew or bring new officials into the sport or on my crew unless I'm there to provide some direction, mentoring, and support?

Oh: You are a troll who has just found my ignore list.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 11:46am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I reviewed a game film and saw this intentional grounding call:

The QB was under duress, the WR goes down and in (probably should have been down and out from looks of defense), the QB throws to the down and out. Nobody in the area. There was nothing obvious about this play.

When do you consider missed route?
When do you consider the ability of the passer?
I hear "obvious" thrown around alot, but I wish everything was obvious to me.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner
I reviewed a game film and saw this intentional grounding call:

The QB was under duress, the WR goes down and in (probably should have been down and out from looks of defense), the QB throws to the down and out. Nobody in the area. There was nothing obvious about this play.

When do you consider missed route?
When do you consider the ability of the passer?
I hear "obvious" thrown around alot, but I wish everything was obvious to me.
You always consider BOTH. Your real judgement here is - was the QB trying to throw the ball to someone, or was he simply trying to not get sacked. And if the latter, THEN you consider whether he managed to get the ball close enough to his receiver to not have a foul. If the former, then you don't have IG, even if the receiver ran the wrong route.

No, it's not always obvious, but with the QB under duress, you've got to err on the side of calling it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would think that an IG flag would only come from the WH. Zebras downfield aren't in the best position to determine if the QB was under duress. I suppose the WH can flag and then confer with his crew to make sure the flag was legit if he calls grounding. Otherwise, the WH is watching the QB to see what he does, and the WH has to peek downfield looking for a receiver where the ball was thrown, and at the same time make sure no one roughs the QB. A lot to keep track of!