Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Question Video Added

Gentleman,

I am looking for clarification on the rules concerning the Free Blocking Zone when the offense uses a shotgun formation with the quarterback lined up more than 3 yds. behind the line of scrimmage.

Rule 2-17-5 states:

Quote:
Art. 5... The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive lineman to clip and/or block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone.
Does this mean that there is no free-blocking zone when the offense uses the shotgun (snap receiver more than 3 yds. behind LOS) or is the "disintegration" of the FBZ properly interpreted as a more gradual thing.

Can't find anything in the Rules Book or Case Book that explicitly addresses this.

Thanks.

JM

Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Coach, I tend to go with this rule of thumb for plays in shotgun formation:

If a lineman is blocking below the waist, that block must be on his initial charge. If his initial charge is high, then he re-coils and goes low, by rule we have an illegal block below the waist because the ball is out of the free blocking zone.

Other officials may not do this the same way I do.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

More experienced guys correct me if I'm wrong, but we've basically been allowing cut blocks, etc. on the initial surge only when in the shotgun. When the ball leaves the zone, the zone is gone. So you really only have time for immediate blocks at the snap.

If an OL backs a step or two and then cuts a DL, we've been flagging that.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

This is a damn hard call, but our association says that it must be simultaneous with the snap and any hesitation on the part of the lineman results in an illegal block.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

It would be wonderful to see this play in action.

Without it based upon the description the ball leaves the free blocking zone almost simultaneous with the snap. Therefore, any hesitation after the snap would be a foul.

The intent of the rule is to protect players from crippling knee injuries. In the past players could be in the free blocking zone off the line and block or clip while the ball was in the zone.

The last set of restriction allows only linemen to clip or block from behind and only when the ball is in the zone. This keeps players from gaining momentum for the block.

The direct answer to CoachJM's question is the restriction begins as soon as the ball leaves the zone. A snap to a QB in a shotgun. The restriction begins almost immediately.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by booker227
This is a damn hard call, but our association says that it must be simultaneous with the snap and any hesitation on the part of the lineman results in an illegal block.
That is also the interpretaion that we use. It does take some time for the snap to leave the zone. But the blocker had better go right at the snap.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I had this 3 weeks ago and picked up on it. I didn't flag it thinking it was a "picky" call. I was told at my association meeting that I made good judgement by not chucking the rag. If the cut block is immediate no foul. I knew "letter of the law" it was illegal knowing the ball is out of the zone in a nanosecond and the players simply aren't that fast. Let this one go! As others said, if there's a delay, then cut block, you got something.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

We do as many of you have said, "ok if immediately after snap," if not, we have a foul.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Thanks to all who have replied.

Per Ed Hickland's comment/request, I have provided a video of the play in question at the link below.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmvideos/CutBlockPF.wmv

The clip first shows the play in realtime and then in slow motion. The camera angle isn't ideal, but the block is made by the Offensive Center against the Defensive Nosetackle. It looks to me like the center does take a half step back before initiating the cut block. An illegal block below the waist was called on the play and the play had no material impact on the outcome of the game.

After seeing the video of the play, I'm curious as to how many would have called it and how many would have let it go.

Thanks.

JM
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
Thanks to all who have replied.

Per Ed Hickland's comment/request, I have provided a video of the play in question at the link below.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmvideos/CutBlockPF.wmv

The clip first shows the play in realtime and then in slow motion. The camera angle isn't ideal, but the block is made by the Offensive Center against the Defensive Nosetackle. It looks to me like the center does take a half step back before initiating the cut block. An illegal block below the waist was called on the play and the play had no material impact on the outcome of the game.

After seeing the video of the play, I'm curious as to how many would have called it and how many would have let it go.

Thanks.

JM
After seeing the video, I would have flagged that. I would not say it was immediate enough. He delayed before the cut, so I'd have a foul.

If this was a HS game, I would have actually shut the play down, cuz the outside slot receiver started before the snap.

By the way, how do you attach a video?

[Edited by MJT on Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:44 PM]
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'd also say the center delayed a bit prior to going for a shoe top block.

Also agree that one of the slot backs started too early.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

This is pretty easy. QB is six yards back and has the ball before C initiates contact.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
MJT-
Good eyes on the false start. I saw it too and had to watch it again saying, "Did I see that right?"

As for the cut block, if that got flagged in your game then I am very impressed with the officials. From the size of the players it looks like it is an underclass (maybe 8th or 9th grade) game. Most officials don't know this rule or might not catch it. I know I might be one of them. Yeah, I agree with the statements by the others here. There is a delay and the ball is out of the zone.

As for attaching the video, he posted a link to his website. The video is on his (well, actually comcast's) server and the link directs you to a file he has uploaded.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

Why would you shut the play down on the back who is moving? Are you saying he is simulating the snap? Why wouldn't it be a live ball foul for not being set? I am a wing and struggle with these at times. When an end isn't set I like to blow it dead---nothing good can come of the play and the player has ususally went into the ENZ.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

That's where your judgement comes in.. Was a player in motion simply moving smoothly towards the NZ when the snap occurs or was a stationary player (such as a back or slot) driving out of his set position towards the NZ prior to the snap.

One is judged to be simulating the start of the play hence a dead ball/false start. The other is judged to be a live ball/illegal motion call.