The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have received lots of questions regarding blocks below the waist in the free blocking zone in a shotgun formation. The rule requires the ball to be in the free blocking zone at the time of the block. The question arises when A's lineman immediately go low at the snap. We have been calling this a legal block. If they delay at all, they can not block below the waist because the ball will be out of the zone. Agree? Disagree? Any thoughts?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the shotgun snap is an incredibly slow rainbow snap, there's no way an offensive lineman can engage a defender down low before the ball gets to the QB. I would discourage such blocks in shotgun formation.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

If you look closely there is very little opportunity for a low block ever...In our area we concentrate on initial charge, if it is immediately low, we allow it, even in the shotgun.. If you look closely also I bet there are very few times that when blocker goes low the defender doesn't try to "defend" himself with his hands, when he does that the block becomes legal if there is contact with the defenders hands... In short, I would allow the initial charge to be low..as long as it is simultaneous with the snap
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I had just that complaint last Friday night, explained it to be OK if immediate, then had our state commissioner (who happens to be on the NF rules committee) confirm that interpretation yesterday. Any delay...flag it. I also agree with the contact with the hands first comment.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I agree. It'd have to be immediately right at the snap....no delay.....