The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

The coach that's just a jerk

We've all dealt with "that coach," the worst type of coach–the one that's just a jerk. He's arrogant, thinks he's above the game, doesn't care to work with us or show even the slightest appreciation for what we do, and makes snide comments on every call that goes against his team.

My question is, what tricks if any do you use to deal with these type of coaches?
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 10:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I know someone who can "take care of" guys like that. He only accepts cash.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
We've all dealt with "that coach," the worst type of coach–the one that's just a jerk. He's arrogant, thinks he's above the game, doesn't care to work with us or show even the slightest appreciation for what we do, and makes snide comments on every call that goes against his team.

My question is, what tricks if any do you use to deal with these type of coaches?
Usually completely ignore him (or her) unless he/she asks a question calmly. I've got one in one of my regular conferences who is constantly on the officials from the opening tip. I don't think he's quite to the level that you're describing, but I've given him the "stop sign" or a warning or whatever you want to call it in every game of his that I've worked. Once I do that (if he makes it to halftime before the stop sign, he's doing well), he's fine. I've never T'd him, though I'd be curious to know how many he's gotten.

You can't be afraid to take care of business with coaches who toe and/or cross the line like that. You shouldn't have to take your focus off the players to deal with the coach....he's making your job more difficult (and it's already a difficult job).

Taking care of business doesn't necessarily mean a T, but you need to assert your authority as soon as you hear something that is going to lead you down that path. If he wants to hurt his team after you've warned him, let him.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

We have one school in our area who is blocked in Arbiter by a good number of officials for the fact that its boys' varsity coach is a prototypical jackass. I know an assigner that once told a coach that no officials would work his games because he was a jerk.

I don't let coaches be jerks to me on the court, plain and simple. I will play nice to see if he'll do the same, but if he insists on being a jerk, he'll get himself seatbelted and if that doesn't do it, he can go to the locker room (and probably block me in Arbiter).
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 11:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I know someone who can "take care of" guys like that. He only accepts cash.

Mark, Jr., and I also accept electronic funds transfers to our off shore bank account in the Cayman Islands.

Just call us at 1-800-WHACKEM.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 11:18pm
Administrator

Quote:

Years ago, at an IAABO Fall Rules Interpreters Conference, between sessions, Hank Nichols was asked by a young official what was his criteria for T-ing up a coach. Hank's response was: "When he acts like an idiot."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 11:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Ignore them if I know they are that way. Then just T them up if they cannot get the hint. Usually a look or a sarcastic remark from me does the trick too.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 12:00am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:

There is a MS coach in the area that is known for behaving in a similar way. Before I started officiating, he acted this way even when our assignor officiated the game. I was impressed that the latter largely ignored the former's conduct.

This past fall, I officiated a game involving him. I made up my mind I'd ignore the guy as necessary and only acknowledge time-out requests, legitimate questions, and anything that violated the three p's.

TL;DR – I agree with Rut (though I'm not sure I'd use the sarcastic comment no matter how much I might think it in my head )

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 12:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

TL;DR – I agree with Rut (though I'm not sure I'd use the sarcastic comment no matter how much I might think it in my head )
Well I use sarcasm all the time and it works for me. You have to work within your personality. Not everyone can be funny. Not everyone can be hard azz. And not everyone can use the stupid "stop sign." Almost nothing we will talk about is going to be universal or work for anyone. Because my goal is to basically get them to shut up. If I use sarcasm and it works, I win.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 07:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The bolded part are things that do not even enter my mind when it comes to coaches. I could not care less what is going on in his head, it is not my concern.

The italicized portion is all I care about and it will get addressed by me after the 2nd or 3rd comment.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

If it's every time a call is made, it's likely a distraction (or you wouldn't notice). I'll ignore this until I see it's going to continue all game. Once I realize that much, I'm going to find (force) an opportunity to have a quiet "conversation" along the lines of, "coach, I don't expect you to agree with every call, but unless you have a question, the commentary needs to stop."

If he does it again, then be very clear about issuing him a warning. Some will say to make this warning public so it shows up on tape, but if there's a tape it'll show me talking to him and that's good enough for me.

After the warning, a T almost always puts a stop to it. If that doesn't work, the 2nd T will.

I don't ignore it for a couple of reasons. First, it almost always escalates as the game progresses. The coach is feeling his boundaries. Second, it has a high possibility of inciting the crowd around him.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 11:08am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If it's every time a call is made, it's likely a distraction (or you wouldn't notice). I'll ignore this until I see it's going to continue all game. Once I realize that much, I'm going to find (force) an opportunity to have a quiet "conversation" along the lines of, "coach, I don't expect you to agree with every call, but unless you have a question, the commentary needs to stop."

If he does it again, then be very clear about issuing him a warning. Some will say to make this warning public so it shows up on tape, but if there's a tape it'll show me talking to him and that's good enough for me.

After the warning, a T almost always puts a stop to it. If that doesn't work, the 2nd T will.

I don't ignore it for a couple of reasons. First, it almost always escalates as the game progresses. The coach is feeling his boundaries. Second, it has a high possibility of inciting the crowd around him.
While it certainly can get the crowd going, and in the wrong direction, my biggest concern is it having a negative impact on the players. I mean, I've seen them get fired up from their coaches in such a way that things get a bit out of hand.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 11:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well I use sarcasm all the time and it works for me.
What's sarcasm?
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 03:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
While it certainly can get the crowd going, and in the wrong direction, my biggest concern is it having a negative impact on the players. I mean, I've seen them get fired up from their coaches in such a way that things get a bit out of hand.
An even better point.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
There is a MS coach in the area that is known for behaving in a similar way. Before I started officiating, he acted this way even when our assignor officiated the game. I was impressed that the latter largely ignored the former's conduct.
That's pretty much the exact opposite of what I consider impressive, ESPECIALLY from the assignor.

No coach has license to act a fool from tip to horn. To steal an oft-used phrase from the members of this board: "You promote what you permit."