The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Coach is a jerk, and the season hasn't even started yet!

Last night, we had the draft for the HS level of our local kids rec league. I was administering the JV teams, which are co-ed this year (long story). Anyway, one coach kept complaining about how the draft was being conducted. He made remarks like, "That's not how we did it last year" and "This is stupid". I told him I'd been doing this for 17 years and that's how it was always done. He asked if he could have an advantage by drafting out of turn because "he didn't know the kids as well as some of the other coaches" (all the kids display their skills in front of the coaches, including him, on an "eval night") and wanted to know if he could not have to take any girls on his team because he "didn't know this level was going to be co-ed" even though we discussed it with every JV coach including him at least three times (our "experiment" this year is that each team has one or two girls on it because that's how the registration numbers came out). He criticized our entire Board and made snide comments during the whole evening. He was just a jerk.

When we were done, one of the other Board members came up to me and asked me about this guy, because apparently he was the same way last year. All I said was, "I'll make sure I get scheduled to work all his games."
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I bet he gives more problems throughout the year. Keep us updated. LOL
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:23am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He asked if he could have an advantage by drafting out of turn because "he didn't know the kids as well as some of the other coaches" (all the kids display their skills in front of the coaches, including him, on an "eval night")
A couple of observations: I think it is indeed a HUGE advantage to the coaches that know the kids best come draft day, because an evaluation does not always reveal the true picture. Some kids have even been known to tank it. But if this guy is smart enough to realize that he is at a disadvantage, you would think he would have sought legitimate help and done so a lot sooner.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All I said was, "I'll make sure I get scheduled to work all his games."
I can't wait for the stories! This is going to be fun.

PS Why doesn't the league simply not accept him for one of the coaching positions?
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 09:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
PS Why doesn't the league simply not accept him for one of the coaching positions?
I know one of our local rec leagues is hurting for volunteer parents (especially at the older age group) and takes "less than ideal candidates" out of necessity. The devil you know.......
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 10:14am
Official & Member

Speaking from experience...gather the board of directors, explain what you've observed and your feelings on the matter. Insist that they either get rid of him or sit him down and have a frank discussion about his role BEFORE THE SEASON BEGINS.

Is there ANY chance that his behavior and sportsmanship will improve during a tense, close game? Imagine the example he'll set as a coach if he's behaving like that on draft night.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Speaking from experience...gather the board of directors, explain what you've observed and your feelings on the matter. Insist that they either get rid of him or sit him down and have a frank discussion about his role BEFORE THE SEASON BEGINS.

Is there ANY chance that his behavior and sportsmanship will improve during a tense, close game? Imagine the example he'll set as a coach if he's behaving like that on draft night.
He's in his third year with us and I guess he's not too bad at the actual games. At least, there haven't been any formal complaints, although one parent told a Board member he thought the guy smelled of alcohol once. I'll work his first two games and see how he is. In the past two years, I think I worked only one of his games and I really don't remember any problems.

I do know that he and the Board President know each other and don't get along at all. Doesn't matter during a game, though.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When we were done, one of the other Board members came up to me and asked me about this guy, because apparently he was the same way last year. All I said was, "I'll make sure I get scheduled to work all his games."
Put me on them with you. That would be enough to draw me out of "retirement".
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 09:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Put me on them with you. That would be enough to draw me out of "retirement".
Call Bruce. You know how much I'd like to work with you again. BTW - went to the ref "clinic" for Three Rivers Youth League in Molalla today. You should call Will Davis. He's always looking for more refs and a lot of the games are on your side of town. Oh yeah - we got a raise this year for these games, $30 each and you get paid on game night, either check or ca$h. He has a bunch of tournaments coming up next month including one at Clackamas. Of course, I want to work the one in Tigard the following week. What a surprise.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Three Rivers Youth League...we got a raise this year for these games, $30 each and you get paid on game night, either check or ca$h.
$30 per game for youth rec league?? Wow! My brother-in-law told me Oregon was great, but I had no idea just how much
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

That's not the fee that every official gets. It's just a special rate for Mark.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
$30 per game for youth rec league?? Wow! My brother-in-law told me Oregon was great, but I had no idea just how much
That's per game if we do a two game shift. If we are scheduled for a single game, we get $32.50. This is probably the most competitive middle school league in the state. Actually, they go from 5th through 8th.

My local kids rec league, which is purely rec, pays $23.00 per game for refs with at least 4 years experience for grades 3-8 and $25.00 for HS level games. If you wind up working alone (it happens rarely, but sometimes) you get 1 1/2 times your regular rate. Last year, I had one night in which I worked two HS games by myself. I made $75.00 for the two and it took about two hours. This league pays at the end of the month.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Mark..........a jerk is a jerk is a jerk. Sports, work, neighborhood it's universal.

Some people get it, some don't
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Think That You Died And Went to Referee Heaven ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
How about the Catholic school league that I officiate in?

Varsity games (7th and 8th graders):
Fees: $52 single; double $80; 3 games $104; 4 games $128
Payment at site
Periods are 7 minutes. Halftimes 8 minutes
Single ref fee 1.5 Times
Games starting late: after 10 minutes late $10.00 additional fee, 20 minutes late additional $15.00 fee. Games can be forfeited after 30 minutes late.
Schools agree not to solicit and officials agree not to participate in any raffle, contest, drawing, booster club or any other fund-raiser.

Junior Varsity (5th and 6th graders)
Fees: $30 per game (usually scheduled as a doubleheader, or tripleheader)
Payment at end of season
Periods are 6 minutes. Halftimes are no more than 8 minutes
Single ref fee 1.5 Times
Schools agree not to solicit and officials agree not to participate in any raffle, contest, drawing, booster club or any other fund-raiser.

These are real scholastic games. Cheerleaders, packed gyms, refreshment stands, same coaches year to year, etc. Coaches have to answer to the school's athletic director, and principal. I haven't given a technical foul in years. I really can't remember the last time. Most sites provide free refreshments for officials, water, soda, sports drink, pizza, hot dogs, hot pretzels, fried dough, etc.

The assigner takes his job very seriously. He was our interim high school board assigner for a year. We provide availability sheets, and contact information to him after we get our high school schedules, which we can update during the season. He realizes that our high school board games take a priority over his games, he's still an active member of our high school board, doesn't officiate, but is active on a few training and business committees. We get our assignments, usually for the entire season, except for last minute changes, and playoffs, by email, and must confirm by email. We pay no fees to the assigner. He gets a fee directly from the league, and gets to work as many games as he wants to. We have a mandatory new rules meeting, IAABO Refresher Exam study session, and league rules meeting at the beginning of every season.

This league, which includes about twelve teams, each of which has a varsity team (some have "A" and "B" teams), a junior varsity A-league team (some have "A" and "B" teams), and a junior varsity B-league team (3rd and 4th graders, one official games), for both boys, and girls. Varsity games are normally played on weeknights, not on Tuesdays, or Fridays, our busy high school nights, here in Connecticut. Junior varsity games are normally played on Saturday mornings, and Sunday afternoons. Farthest site for me is thirty-five minutes away. Most sites are about ten or fifteen minutes away.

All games are officiated by certified board officials. There are about forty of us working this Catholic school league. We have a few officials who are only on our local high school IAABO board to retain their certification. They don't accept any high school assignments, and don't come to any of our board meetings, they just show up at the annual board banquet, which accounts for about $45.00 of our $115.00 local IAABO high school board annual dues.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 12:15pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about the Catholic school league that I officiate in?

Varsity games (7th and 8th graders):
Fees: $52 single; double $80; 3 games $104; 4 games $128
Payment at site
Periods are 7 minutes. Halftimes 8 minutes
Single ref fee 1.5 Times
Games starting late: after 10 minutes late $10.00 additional fee, 20 minutes late additional $15.00 fee.
Must be a rich group of schools. The leagues I work are independent, not school related. There's a lot of parent volunteer work involved. The competitive leagues charge an admission, the strictly rec ones don't. Those are entirely funded by registration fees so the kid's parents fund the entire league's expenses, including gym rental, jerseys, insurance, website maintenance, referee fees and equipment.

However, I think the coaches (who are all volunteers) pay for foul insurance out of their own pockets.