View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 11:08am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If it's every time a call is made, it's likely a distraction (or you wouldn't notice). I'll ignore this until I see it's going to continue all game. Once I realize that much, I'm going to find (force) an opportunity to have a quiet "conversation" along the lines of, "coach, I don't expect you to agree with every call, but unless you have a question, the commentary needs to stop."

If he does it again, then be very clear about issuing him a warning. Some will say to make this warning public so it shows up on tape, but if there's a tape it'll show me talking to him and that's good enough for me.

After the warning, a T almost always puts a stop to it. If that doesn't work, the 2nd T will.

I don't ignore it for a couple of reasons. First, it almost always escalates as the game progresses. The coach is feeling his boundaries. Second, it has a high possibility of inciting the crowd around him.
While it certainly can get the crowd going, and in the wrong direction, my biggest concern is it having a negative impact on the players. I mean, I've seen them get fired up from their coaches in such a way that things get a bit out of hand.