The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I know nothing about NCAA Women's Mechanics other than what I hear or read occasionally. But the few games I have watched I never see officials do this. I am not sure why, but that appears to be something that is not practiced very often.

Peace
See ^^^

Trust me, we do it every game. As often as possible
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
See ^^^

Trust me, we do it every game. As often as possible
I can say when I watch NCAA or lower level college games, I cannot recall seeing it done. Maybe it is those in your areas that want to do it and others that choose not to. Just like any mechanic that involves people all over the country, officials do not all do things with the same level of emphasis.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 04:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Run The Endline Throwin Administration ???

Made basket. Dead ball timeout immediately after the ball passes through the basket. There will be a run the endline throwin after the timeout.

Where does the administering official put the ball in play?

I have never seen this addressed in any mechanics manual, either IAABO, or NFHS.

If I'm the administering official, I just put it in play on the side that I was on as the old lead (becoming new trail), either table side, or opposite table side, when the timeout was requested. I was never taught to do it this way, it just seemed natural.

I've had partners who have put the ball in play on the side opposite from where their partner is standing (two person Connecticut), administer on the our table side if it was a sixty second timeout, administer on the opposite table side if it was a thirty second timeout. I'm not as comfortable doing this, but I'm flexible, and will go along with my partner.

How could the NFHS, or IAABO, have gone this far, after decades of fiddling around, trying to improve mechanics guidelines, and not have come up with a mechanic guideline to cover this procedure? I know that they cannot cover every single possibility, but it seems like they should have, at least, covered this.

One thing that we have to do, here in my little corner of Connecticut, according to our mechanics guidelines, is to stand, during the timeout, with the ball, at the spot where we will administer the throwin after the timeout. If we need to leave that spot to confer with partner, we are instructed to leave the ball at that spot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 22, 2015 at 05:33pm.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

How could the NFHS, or IAABO, have gone this far, after decades of fiddling around, trying to improve mechanics guidelines, and not have come up with a mechanic guideline to cover this procedure? I know that they cannot cover every single possibility, but it seems like they should have, at least, covered this.
No one has ever cared. Obviously the only people that care are a couple of coaches that obviously have too much to worry about as the vast majority of coaches never cared either way, because they coach their players to do whatever we do in this situation.

Quote:
One thing that we have to do, here in my little corner of Connecticut, according to our mechanics guidelines, is to stand, during the timeout, with the ball, at the spot where we will administer the throwin after the timeout. If we need to leave that spot to confer with partner, we are instructed to leave the ball at that spot.
That is the NF mechanic too. But again, mechanics are guidelines not hard fast rules.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... mechanics are guidelines not hard fast rules.
From your post (and many previous posts, in many previous threads), mechanics sound like they are not hard fast rules where you officiate, and that's fine, where you officiate; but mechanics (and signals) are hard fast rules here in my little corner of Connecticut. Cadets (rookie officials) are taught IAABO mechanics, utilizing both the written manual, and floor training, and all officials are expected to use them, and to do otherwise may negatively impact one's ratings, ranking, and the number, and level of games, that one is assigned. This will impact rookie officials, and veteran officials, alike.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 22, 2015 at 05:37pm.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 05:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I wish we could fine you every time you use the phrase "my little corner of Connecticut."
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
to do otherwise may negatively impact one's ratings, ranking, and the number, and level of games, that one is assigned.
Serious question on this... If someone moves to your area with decades of experience at the high school and small college level, is your association really going to restrict the number of games they get because they don't follow the mechanics to the strictest degree possible? Even if they are an absolute rules expert and the best communicator and game manager your group has ever had?

I ask in all seriousness because I've worked for a lot of people that say what you are saying. But the reality is often quite different. Rules knowledge, communication, and game management often go a lot further than strict adherence to mechanics.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 08:54pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Made basket. Dead ball timeout immediately after the ball passes through the basket. There will be a run the endline throwin after the timeout.

I have never seen this addressed in any mechanics manual, either IAABO, or NFHS.

If I'm the administering official, I just put it in play on the side that I was on as the old lead (becoming new trail), either table side, or opposite table side, when the timeout was requested. I was never taught to do it this way, it just seemed natural.

I've had partners who have put the ball in play on the side opposite from where their partner is standing (two person Connecticut), administer on the our table side if it was a sixty second timeout, administer on the opposite table side if it was a thirty second timeout. I'm not as comfortable doing this, but I'm flexible, and will go along with my partner.

We go opposite the table. As our state is mostly 2 man, the official admistering the time out is at half court it just makes sense to keep him on the table side.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

Please refer to the visual aid

In NCAAW if the backcourt throw-in spot opposite the new T is anywhere from the first cone to the end of the arrow (i.e., inside the three-point arc), we step into the area between the lane lines, bounce the ball, then step back...even if there's defensive pressure.

If the throw-in spot is where the second cone is - outside the three-point arc - we balance the floor.

Having done it, it's not so bad. If there's no pressure there's really no need to be over there. If there is, the C stays in the backcourt to help.
All good, but he said the "lead" was bouncing the ball to the thrower....and the "lead" in that diagram is about 70 feet away.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
All good, but he said the "lead" was bouncing the ball to the thrower....and the "lead" in that diagram is about 70 feet away.
Shut up
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not paid to read, you know...

At least I explained it correctly, even if I didn't answer the question

And I got to use my cool graphics so I'm happy regardless.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Interestingly, an observer just had a discussion about this with a few of us at an NCAAW's camp. Now this is 3-person but he said for an endline throw-in following a timeout after a made/awarded FG/FT it's not a bad idea to position ourselves so the administering official is table-side. Why? It gives everyone a good view of the benches/coaches since the C is looking right at them and both the L and T are right next to them.

As for conferring with partners during a timeout, NCAAW mechanics call for the non-administering officials to go to the the administering official if we need to talk. That way both benches (should) know where the throw-in spot is and it keeps us (hopefully) from forgetting the spot.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 01:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
From your post (and many previous posts, in many previous threads), mechanics sound like they are not hard fast rules where you officiate, and that's fine, where you officiate; but mechanics (and signals) are hard fast rules here in my little corner of Connecticut. Cadets (rookie officials) are taught IAABO mechanics, utilizing both the written manual, and floor training, and all officials are expected to use them, and to do otherwise may negatively impact one's ratings, ranking, and the number, and level of games, that one is assigned. This will impact rookie officials, and veteran officials, alike.
I am an official that has worked 3 sports at one time and college in each of them and no mechanics are hard fast as you try to make them be other than maybe a starting point like where you stand when putting the ball in play or where you start with runners on base or where you stand going in the 10 yard line. But no mechanic is in stone when play is going on or even covers every possibility. That is why you go to camps and we have classes or discuss mechanics at meetings to cover what people know or have learned is best like what happens on a BC violation situation that comes from the C position. And if you are a student of the game, there is a reason Referee Magazine has published books which cover things that never are published in your IAABO or NF books.

And where I live, we want rookies to go to camp to learn how to officiate and watch other officials to learn the idiosyncrasies of the mechanics. And around here we do not just do 2 person, we do 3 which requires a greater ability to work with your fellow officials. Even when I worked the State Finals, we spent a couple of hours going over mechanics and procedures that were stated and were not stated.

The simple fact Billy that you are mentioning something that is not listed, should be a sign that mechanics are "guidelines" if you read this board. Many people have said that, not just me. But for some reason you focus on me. Maybe you need to get out of the corner sometime.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 06:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corner Of Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wish we could fine you every time you use the phrase "my little corner of Connecticut."
It's because I can't speak for the entire state of Connecticut. Even though Connecticut is 100% IAABO, each of the local boards has their own way of doing things.

Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 06:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Part ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
... restrict the number of games they get because they don't follow the mechanics to the strictest degree possible?
Mechanics is only one small part of any observation, and rating. For example, poor mechanics may mean getting twenty-eight varsity assignments instead of thirty varsity assignments.