View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 23, 2015, 01:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From your post (and many previous posts, in many previous threads), mechanics sound like they are not hard fast rules where you officiate, and that's fine, where you officiate; but mechanics (and signals) are hard fast rules here in my little corner of Connecticut. Cadets (rookie officials) are taught IAABO mechanics, utilizing both the written manual, and floor training, and all officials are expected to use them, and to do otherwise may negatively impact one's ratings, ranking, and the number, and level of games, that one is assigned. This will impact rookie officials, and veteran officials, alike.
I am an official that has worked 3 sports at one time and college in each of them and no mechanics are hard fast as you try to make them be other than maybe a starting point like where you stand when putting the ball in play or where you start with runners on base or where you stand going in the 10 yard line. But no mechanic is in stone when play is going on or even covers every possibility. That is why you go to camps and we have classes or discuss mechanics at meetings to cover what people know or have learned is best like what happens on a BC violation situation that comes from the C position. And if you are a student of the game, there is a reason Referee Magazine has published books which cover things that never are published in your IAABO or NF books.

And where I live, we want rookies to go to camp to learn how to officiate and watch other officials to learn the idiosyncrasies of the mechanics. And around here we do not just do 2 person, we do 3 which requires a greater ability to work with your fellow officials. Even when I worked the State Finals, we spent a couple of hours going over mechanics and procedures that were stated and were not stated.

The simple fact Billy that you are mentioning something that is not listed, should be a sign that mechanics are "guidelines" if you read this board. Many people have said that, not just me. But for some reason you focus on me. Maybe you need to get out of the corner sometime.

Peace