View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 08:54pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Made basket. Dead ball timeout immediately after the ball passes through the basket. There will be a run the endline throwin after the timeout.

Where does the administering official put the ball in play?

I have never seen this addressed in any mechanics manual, either IAABO, or NFHS.

If I'm the administering official, I just put it in play on the side that I was on as the old lead (becoming new trail), either table side, or opposite table side, when the timeout was requested. I was never taught to do it this way, it just seemed natural.

I've had partners who have put the ball in play on the side opposite from where their partner is standing (two person Connecticut), administer on the our table side if it was a sixty second timeout, administer on the opposite table side if it was a thirty second timeout. I'm not as comfortable doing this, but I'm flexible, and will go along with my partner.

How could the NFHS, or IAABO, have gone this far, after decades of fiddling around, trying to improve mechanics guidelines, and not have come up with a mechanic guideline to cover this procedure? I know that they cannot cover every single possibility, but it seems like they should have, at least, covered this.

One thing that we have to do, here in my little corner of Connecticut, according to our mechanics guidelines, is to stand, during the timeout, with the ball, at the spot where we will administer the throwin after the timeout. If we need to leave that spot to confer with partner, we are instructed to leave the ball at that spot.

We go opposite the table. As our state is mostly 2 man, the official admistering the time out is at half court it just makes sense to keep him on the table side.