The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:14pm
Stubborn Member

I realize that the delayed violation thing could be a problem with this, but what about ignoring the foul (if there is one), unless the foul is intentional or flagrant? Don't we do that after other violations?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I realize that the delayed violation thing could be a problem with this, but what about ignoring the foul (if there is one), unless the foul is intentional or flagrant? Don't we do that after other violations?
if the ball is dead you ingore fouls unless intentional/flagrant etc. most violations do make ball dead. however, violation by defense on FT does not cause ball to be dead.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 10:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
if the ball is dead you ingore fouls unless intentional/flagrant etc. most violations do make ball dead. however, violation by defense on FT does not cause ball to be dead.
Plus, it wouldn't be too hard to deem it intentional if I needed to deal with a knucklehead.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 10:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pardon My French ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because I first became a HS basketball official for the 1997-98 season.
Touché.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 07:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
As I predicted, the ego of IAABO interpreter Peter Webb prevails with a ridiculous NFHS rule change.
Ha ha!

I knew this would be a rule, just as it was in the 1990s.

They forgot it last year, they fixed it this year.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Ask yourself this...how many lane violations were called before the rule went back to the release? If the NFHS wants this to situation be a violation, they do they really think officials will call a violation on THIS play? I highly doubt it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 09:55am
NFHS Official

Just a question. Why do people dislike this rule?

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Jun 09, 2015 at 09:59am.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Ask yourself this...how many lane violations were called before the rule went back to the release? If the NFHS wants this to situation be a violation, they do they really think officials will call a violation on THIS play? I highly doubt it.

Well, I did back then. Boxing out the shooter was an issue and they eliminated it with this rule and its enforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
It is 100% unnecessary.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 11:51am
AremRed

I had a girls game this year where a defender boxing out the shoot knocked the shooter down. I saw it at Trail but C (multiple state finals official) did not make a call. At the next timeout C comes over talking about how he missed the play and should have called a tech (for dead ball contact). I was really surprised to hear that, given the ball was still live when the contact occurred.

I hope this new "rule" should eliminate refs thinking they should call a tech for this.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I had a girls game this year where a defender boxing out the shoot knocked the shooter down. I saw it at Trail but C (multiple state finals official) did not make a call. At the next timeout C comes over talking about how he missed the play and should have called a tech (for dead ball contact). I was really surprised to hear that, given the ball was still live when the contact occurred.

I hope this new "rule" should eliminate refs thinking they should call a tech for this.
Had the ball gone through the basket?

If not, another example that everybody makes mistakes. This exact play was posted here from an NCAA-M game this season. The ball was still live during the contact and after monitor review the officials went with a DBCT.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

I was in camp and saw it from the Trail and called a personal foul on the defender. Coach wasn't happy, but the observers didn't even comment on the play.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I don't believe that it is possible to observe the player in the marked lane space both entering the lane following the release and then again notice the timing that he crossed the FT line to determine if it was prior to the ball contacting the ring or backboard.

One of the reasons that the NFHS gave when reverting to entering on the release was that it would be easier for officials to look first for violations and then be able to switch to looking for fouls. Yet with this additional restriction, the officials now have to look for a second violation at the same time that they are supposed to be looking for contact fouls amongst the rebounders. It isn't going to work well.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Had the ball gone through the basket?

If not, another example that everybody makes mistakes. This exact play was posted here from an NCAA-M game this season. The ball was still live during the contact and after monitor review the officials went with a DBCT.
Some officials just move up on skills other than rules knowledge. I know a few very charismatic officials that are generally good officials but weak on rules but can BS their way through just about anything they don't really know. Some of them are are so charismatic that they'll be believed so thoroughly that when it is called correctly by others it isn't believed. We probably have some of those here too.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't believe that it is possible to observe the player in the marked lane space both entering the lane following the release and then again notice the timing that he crossed the FT line to determine if it was prior to the ball contacting the ring or backboard.

One of the reasons that the NFHS gave when reverting to entering on the release was that it would be easier for officials to look first for violations and then be able to switch to looking for fouls. Yet with this additional restriction, the officials now have to look for a second violation at the same time that they are supposed to be looking for contact fouls amongst the rebounders. It isn't going to work well.
The difference is that this violation can only occur at one location.....much easier to watch than 6 locations along the lane.

That said, I never bought that it makes a difference in watching for the violation. Either way, you have to determine if any player enters the lane before some independent event (shot released or shot hits).