Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 11:58am
NFHS Official

Free Throw Shooter

Just read this on the NFHS site.

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

Rule 9-1-3g was revised in 2014-15 to allow a player occupying a marked lane space to enter the lane on the release of the ball by the free thrower. As a result of this change, protection of the free thrower needs to be emphasized. On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line extended into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard. A player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is farther from the basket until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

I'm assuming this is a violation and will be treated as if someone entered the lane early. Or if there is contact it could be a foul?

Last edited by OKREF; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 01:02pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It'll be interesting to see where they put this, and how it's worded, in the actual rule. Given their recent record, I could see them simply making it a case play instead.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

I'm assuming this is a violation and will be treated as if someone entered the lane early. Or if there is contact it could be a foul?
I'm calling fouls.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm calling fouls.
I'm calling the violation, but if the defender actually fouls the shooter as well, we could have both.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 01:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm calling the violation, but if the defender actually fouls the shooter as well, we could have both.
I'll treat it like we already treat throw-ins.

If there is illegal contact I'm calling a foul; no or marginal contact, I'll call the violation.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 01:55pm
NFHS Official

At the very least it's a violation, and depending on the contact it may be a foul, I guess is how I am looking at it.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll treat it like we already treat throw-ins.

If there is illegal contact I'm calling a foul; no or marginal contact, I'll call the violation.
I understand where you are coming from on throw ins. Guy breaks plane and fouls we call intentional foul. however, on FTs we have specific procedure. defense violates--arm out, delayed violation. If he continues and fouls then call foul also. If ball goes in then you are only penalizing foul. If it doesnt, then shooter gets another FT and then penalty for foul. We will see what they come up with in the book.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I understand where you are coming from on throw ins. Guy breaks plane and fouls we call intentional foul. however, on FTs we have specific procedure. defense violates--arm out, delayed violation. If he continues and fouls then call foul also. If ball goes in then you are only penalizing foul. If it doesnt, then shooter gets another FT and then penalty for foul. We will see what they come up with in the book.
Throw-in: defender breaks the plane and contacts the ball or thrower = official calls the technical foul or intentional personal foul AND issues a team delay of game warning, if one has not already been charged. The inconsistency comes when this action occurs after a delay warning has already been charged. The official doesn't issue two technical fouls or one IPF and a tech on the same play.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 08:12pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

Rule 9-1-3g was revised in 2014-15 to allow a player occupying a marked lane space to enter the lane on the release of the ball by the free thrower. As a result of this change, protection of the free thrower needs to be emphasized. On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line extended into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard. A player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is farther from the basket until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

As I predicted, the ego of IAABO interpreter Peter Webb prevails with a ridiculous NFHS rule change.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
As I predicted, the ego of IAABO interpreter Peter Webb prevails with a ridiculous NFHS rule change.
I've got a feeling they intended to make this change in the first place, reverting back to the way the rule used to be before they changed it the last time.

Again, I'll be mildly surprised if they don't just make it a case play and leave the rule alone.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'll call it however they write it up in the case book, personal feelings set aside.

I will say that that this fixation on boxing out the shooter has become a bit absurd lately, especially in summer ball. So something does need to be done to clean it up. You rarely see this in college ball, so I'm not sure why it's such a coaching fascination in high school.

It would be nice if we also felt as obliged to clean up some of the garbage between players in the marked lane spaces, but for some reason we loathe calling fouls down there.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'll call it however they write it up in the case book, personal feelings set aside.

I will say that that this fixation on boxing out the shooter has become a bit absurd lately, especially in summer ball. So something does need to be done to clean it up. You rarely see this in college ball, so I'm not sure why it's such a coaching fascination in high school.

You don't see it in college ball b/c college coaches are smarter than HS coaches. There is no need for the topside defenders to actively "box out" the FT shooter; they should already have gained an advantageous position by stepping into the lane upon the release. If they simply do that, any illegal contact will come from the free throw shooter displacing the defender from behind.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 04:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ridiculousness ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I will agree with you that Mr. Webb's insistence on IAABO officials using this rule last year (in essence, making IAABO a rule making organization rather than a basketball official educational organization, as it's supposed to be) before the NFHS clarified this issue was totally ridiculous.

However, if you think that the actual rule is ridiculous, then why didn't you complain that it was ridiculous when it was in the NFHS rulebook back in the 1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rulebook, the year before they, again, changed release to hit?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 04:52pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 06:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
You don't see it in college ball b/c college coaches are smarter than HS coaches. There is no need for the topside defenders to actively "box out" the FT shooter; they should already have gained an advantageous position by stepping into the lane upon the release. If they simply do that, any illegal contact will come from the free throw shooter displacing the defender from behind.
Maybe the referees should all meet and release a "Coaching Points of Emphasis" like they do for us.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I will agree with you that Mr. Webb's insistence on IAABO officials using this rule last year (in essence, making IAABO a rule making organization rather than a basketball official educational organization, as it's supposed to be) before the NFHS clarified this issue was totally ridiculous.

However, if you think that the actual rule is ridiculous, then why didn't you complain that it was ridiculous when it was in the NFHS rulebook back in the 1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rulebook, the year before they, again, changed release to hit?
Because I first became a HS basketball official for the 1997-98 season.