The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Shooter

Can any player (on the floor) shoot the free throws when a hurt player has to leave the game or does it have to be the substitue?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Can any player (on the floor) shoot the free throws when a hurt player has to leave the game or does it have to be the substitue?
SUBSTITUE
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless there is no substitute available.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just though of a situation with this I hadn't considered before.

A1 is fouled and will be shooting two shots. After the first shot, B6 (the only sub eligible) subs for B2. During the 2nd shot, A1 shoves B3 in the back trying to get the rebound, causing B3 to roll an ankle and be unable to continue playing for the time being. The clock does not run. Bonus free throws are in effect. B2 is the only sub on the bench who has not fouled out or been injured; but B2 cannot re-enter because the clock has not run since B6 came in.

Any of the four on the floor may now shoot for B.
No eligible sub,
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:11am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

A1 is fouled and will be shooting two shots. After the first shot, B6 (the only sub eligible) subs for B2. During the 2nd shot, A1 shoves B3 in the back trying to get the rebound, causing B3 to roll an ankle and be unable to continue playing for the time being. The clock does not run. Bonus free throws are in effect. B2 is the only sub on the bench who has not fouled out or been injured; but B2 cannot re-enter because the clock has not run since B6 came in.

No eligible sub,

Snaqwells:

Not so fast. The purpose of the rule that does not allow B2 to re-enter the game until the first opportunity to sub after the clock has started is to keep both teams to run players in out of the game during the same stop clocked period: HC-B sends B3 in for B2; HC-A sees this and sends in A6 for A5; then HC-B sends B2 back in the game for B3 which causes HC-A to send A5 back in for A6, ad infinitum (Mark, Jr. who has taken three years of Latin is asleep, he had to carry me Thursday afternoon in a boys' jr. H.S. DH and has a H.S. swim meet Friday night and needs his rest, so I cannot ask him if I have used the correct Latin phrase, but I think everybody gets the idea).

But in your situation, the substitution rules would not prevent Team B to play short-handed because of an injury. The rules require a team to have five players on the court as long as it have five eligible players available, not withstanding a player that is technically eligible but has become injured during the game and cannot return to the game. This rule would trump the subsitution rule. Use the same logic when a TF has occured after the ten minute mark before the start of the game and before the start of the game: The rules state that starter cannot be replaced unless he becomes injured or ill, but the rules also state that any player including an incoming substitute can shoot the TF's free throws. The TF free throws trump the changing of the starting lineup rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This logic works for me, thanks. It's one of those late, lonely nights when I have too much time on my hands to just think about stuff. I think I'll just call it a night.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

So, there is no circumstance where a player on the floor can shoot even if there are enough subs? I thought this was on the NFHS test a few years back.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

No eligible sub,
I agree with that and disagree with what MTD wrote below.

There was an NFHS interp a few years ago that dealt with a player having to be removed due to the substitution rules and the team continuing with four for a brief time. The substitution rules do not get set aside unless there is an error.
2002-03 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 5: Team A is playing with five players, but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. RULING: The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery. (3-3-5)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 07:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I agree with that and disagree with what MTD wrote below.

There was an NFHS interp a few years ago that dealt with a player having to be removed due to the substitution rules and the team continuing with four for a brief time. The substitution rules do not get set aside unless there is an error.
2002-03 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 5: Team A is playing with five players, but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. RULING: The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery. (3-3-5)

NevadaRef:

I agree with you concerning 2002-03 NFHS Rules Interpretations SITUATION 5, but in Snaqwells play, there is an eligible substitute, and that eligible substitute is B2. That is the play that my post is addressing. Yes, SITUATION can be applied to Snaqwells play, but if the injured player cannot play even after the charged timeout, then I would stand by my decision to let B2 return to the game even though the clock had not been started since the time he was removed from the game. I admit that Snaqwells play is very remote and I have never had such a situation occur (knock on my head right now) in my 37 years of officiating, but you never know.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Jan 18, 2008 at 08:02am.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
NevadaRef:

I agree with you concerning 2002-03 NFHS Rules Interpretations SITUATION 5, but in Snaqwells play, there is an eligible substitute, and that eligible substitute is B2. That is the play that my post is addressing.
According to my understanding of the rules B2 is not an eligible substitute at that time.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, SITUATION can be applied to Snaqwells play, but if the injured player cannot play even after the charged timeout, then I would stand by my decision to let B2 return to the game even though the clock had not been started since the time he was removed from the game. I admit that Snaqwells play is very remote and I have never had such a situation occur (knock on my head right now) in my 37 years of officiating, but you never know.

MTD, Sr.
That's because you're getting soft in your old age.

(Said in the nicest possible way, of course. )
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:56am
Administrator

I just emailed Mary Struckhoff the following letter:

PLAY: A1 is fouled and will be shooting two shots. After A1’s first free throw attempt, B6 (Team B’s only remaining eligible substitute) replaces B2. A1’s second free throw attempt is unsuccessful. During the rebound action for A1’s missed second free throw attempt A1 pushes B3 in the back causing B3 to roll an ankle. Team B is in the bonus. B3 is unable to immediately continue playing. Team B requests and is granted a timeout in order to allow B3 to recover from the ankle injury so as to remain in the game. B3 is still not able to play after the timeout has ended.

QUESTION: Can B2 return to the game to replace B3 and shoot B3’s free throw attempts? Or must B2 remain out of the game until the first opportunity for Team B to substitute after the clock has started and instead one of the four Team B players on the court at the time of B3’s injury shoot his free throws?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I'll side with Nevada on this one.

Of course, that probably means Mary will rule the opposite.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But in your situation, the substitution rules would not prevent Team B to play short-handed because of an injury. The rules require a team to have five players on the court as long as it have five eligible players available, not withstanding a player that is technically eligible but has become injured during the game and cannot return to the game. This rule would trump the subsitution rule. Use the same logic when a TF has occured after the ten minute mark before the start of the game and before the start of the game: The rules state that starter cannot be replaced unless he becomes injured or ill, but the rules also state that any player including an incoming substitute can shoot the TF's free throws. The TF free throws trump the changing of the starting lineup rule.
There's nothing that says one rule "trumps" the other, Mark.

I have no idea what Mary will say but the situation is simply not covered in the rule book.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Jan 18, 2008 at 09:06am.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

MTD,
Thanks for sending that play along.
Two comments:
1. I wish you have clearly stated in the scenario that the rebounding foul occurs BEFORE the clock runs.
2. I certainly hope that Mary's answer is faithful to the logic expressed in situation 5 from the 2002-03 Interps. Since the NFHS says that that player MUST leave in that situation after the coach was beckoned out and the team would continue with four since the substitution rule cannot be set aside. We must logically conclude that it is not proper to waive the requirements of the substitution rules in the situation posed by Snaqwells either. Perhaps you should have also included that citation in your email.