The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The difference is that this violation can only occur at one location.....much easier to watch than 6 locations along the lane.

That said, I never bought that it makes a difference in watching for the violation. Either way, you have to determine if any player enters the lane before some independent event (shot released or shot hits).
For the release, I can stand at floor level and observe the players in the marked lane spaces as well as see the shooter with the ball in his hands and determine when it is released. All of this is easily within my field of vision.

For the ball contacting the ring or backboard, I cannot (especially from the Lead position) see that instant without having to look up and in a different location than where the players along the lane are. My field of view does not contain both of these.

The above is why I much prefer the release for judging FT violations as opposed to contact on the ring or backboard.

Again for the NFHS to now add a second moment which the L and C must observe in order to properly determine violations is poor.

I would offer that a mechanics change should be made to make this secondary violation the responsibility of the T in 3-man as the T is already taking the players outside of the 3pt line and their restriction is when the ball contacts the ring or backboard. For 2-man, I believe that the NFHS has given the officials an impossible task--observe two different timing points for violations in two different locations as well as clean up rough play in the rebounding action as the players enter the lane.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 12:15am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Had the ball gone through the basket?
Given that I said the ball was still live, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I was in camp and saw it from the Trail and called a personal foul on the defender. Coach wasn't happy, but the observers didn't even comment on the play.
Yeah I would call a common foul if I had a do-over. Not a tech though, that would surely piss the coach off more. I got enough flak for calling a tech this year after a defender jumped to block a layup and then pulled the offensive player to the floor by his neck. I knew the ball had gone through before the contact occurred (video back me up) so I called a tech instead of an INT. Got my first-ever call from an assignor about the play.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

Yeah I would call a common foul if I had a do-over. Not a tech though, that would surely piss the coach off more. I got enough flak for calling a tech this year after a defender jumped to block a layup and then pulled the offensive player to the floor by his neck. I knew the ball had gone through before the contact occurred (video back me up) so I called a tech instead of an INT. Got my first-ever call from an assignor about the play.
Had the shooter returned to the floor already?
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 01:03am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Had the shooter returned to the floor already?
Sure had.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

It is extremely late for a defender to be fouling a shooter when both the ball has cleared the basket and the shooter has returned to the floor.

Deserved whack!
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
One of the reasons that the NFHS gave when reverting to entering on the release was that it would be easier for officials to look first for violations and then be able to switch to looking for fouls. Yet with this additional restriction, the officials now have to look for a second violation at the same time that they are supposed to be looking for contact fouls amongst the rebounders. It isn't going to work well.
The mechanics need to be changed so T gets this. C has moved his/her vision to the first two players on the lane to watch for rebounding fouls.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I actually appreciate this clarification, but I still have questions. If a defender violates, and does so enough to be considered a common foul, do I have the option of calling the foul over the violation? or do I have to go with the violation since it happened first? But then wouldn't my foul then potentially be a dead ball foul? Would it depend on if the FT is good or not?

Hypothetical: FT shooter releases, defender crosses the FT line (violation) and slams into the shooters knees (enough for a common foul) while the shot is still in the air.
A) shot misses
B) shot is made

If A, then should we just call the violation and award another FT, but if B call the foul since the violation is waived? If contact is significant enough, could you potentially have a violation AND a technical on a miss? Because I can't call a violation AND a common foul can I?

For you guys that don't think this is an issue, you must not do much girls varsity. Girls are bad about this. At least from where I am.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 09:33am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I actually appreciate this clarification, but I still have questions. If a defender violates, and does so enough to be considered a common foul, do I have the option of calling the foul over the violation? or do I have to go with the violation since it happened first? But then wouldn't my foul then potentially be a dead ball foul? Would it depend on if the FT is good or not?

Hypothetical: FT shooter releases, defender crosses the FT line (violation) and slams into the shooters knees (enough for a common foul) while the shot is still in the air.
A) shot misses
B) shot is made

If A, then should we just call the violation and award another FT, but if B call the foul since the violation is waived? If contact is significant enough, could you potentially have a violation AND a technical on a miss? Because I can't call a violation AND a common foul can I?

For you guys that don't think this is an issue, you must not do much girls varsity. Girls are bad about this. At least from where I am.
I was going over this scenario with some friends last night.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post

A) shot misses
B) shot is made

Remember, when the defense violates during a free throw the ball remains live. Play continues. When the player who violates continues into the shooter while the ball is live it is a common foul unless you deem it intentional/flagrant etc.

If the FT is missed the violation is penalized--replacement FT with no one on line. (if the violation and foul were on first shot of two shot foul then also shoot the second one with no one on line.) Then penalize the foul. If the FT was made the violation is not penalized. Penalize the foul. thx

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Jun 10, 2015 at 09:55am.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 11:07am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Remember, when the defense violates during a free throw the ball remains live. Play continues. When the player who violates continues into the shooter while the ball is live it is a common foul unless you deem it intentional/flagrant etc.

If the FT is missed the violation is penalized--replacement FT with no one on line. (if the violation and foul were on first shot of two shot foul then also shoot the second one with no one on line.) Then penalize the foul. If the FT was made the violation is not penalized. Penalize the foul. thx
This was our consensus.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This was our consensus.
You also have to adjust it based on whether the contact was before or after the ball goes through the basket. If it's after, the contact would be ignored unless it's I or F.

or, you can just assume that if the violation happened, then the contact happened before the ball went through.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

That makes sense. Thanks.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 02:00pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You also have to adjust it based on whether the contact was before or after the ball goes through the basket. If it's after, the contact would be ignored unless it's I or F.

or, you can just assume that if the violation happened, then the contact happened before the ball went through.
Yes sir. Could possibly have nothing on the contact since it could be dead ball contact.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 02:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Yes sir. Could possibly have nothing on the contact since it could be dead ball contact.
I cannot think of a legitimate reason why someone would be initiating contact 15' from the basket after the ball goes through the net.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 02:39pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I cannot think of a legitimate reason why someone would be initiating contact 15' from the basket after the ball goes through the net.
It could feasibly happen, although not likely, most likely the contact would begin prior to the ball going through the basket.