The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Injured Free Throw Shooter

Player A gets fouled while Team A is in the bonus. Player A twists an ankle and is hurt.

If Player A goes to the bench and a substitute comes in, is Player A allowed to return to the game after the clock has started or is there some restriction that states if Player A does not shoot the FT(s) they are disqualified?

I can't find anything in the NFHS Rule Book that states the player can't come back but my partner Saturday stated the opposite position.

Please advise...
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official
Player A gets fouled while Team A is in the bonus. Player A twists an ankle and is hurt.

If Player A goes to the bench and a substitute comes in, is Player A allowed to return to the game after the clock has started or is there some restriction that states if Player A does not shoot the FT(s) they are disqualified?

I can't find anything in the NFHS Rule Book that states the player can't come back but my partner Saturday stated the opposite position.

Please advise...
Try 3-3-4 and 3-3-5

3-3-4

A player who has been replaced or directed to leave the game shall not re enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been properly following his/her disqualification

3-3-5

A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bud...and I guess we can look at 8:2 also.

Question is, is a player disqualified if they do not shoot their FT's because of injury?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

The answer to your question is..... NO!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

NBA Rules require players to shoot own FT (unless fouled in a flagrant 2) and if he doesnt he is done for the game...
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Additionally, if the injured FT shooter is replaced...doesn't his sub have to shoot the FTs for him...it's not like a T where any player on the floor can shoot, correct....
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
The answer to your question is..... NO!
If the player comes out because of injury, but leaves on their own power, then 3-3-4 is used. If the coach comes out, 3-3-5 is used. If you think the player is unconscious, you use 3-3-7
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Additionally, if the injured FT shooter is replaced...doesn't his sub have to shoot the FTs for him...it's not like a T where any player on the floor can shoot, correct....

You are right the sub must shoot for him. The injured cannot come back in until time has came off the clock
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

So basically the only time a player can be disqualified is from 5 fouls, 2 technicals, flagrant technical, flagrant foul, having a concussion, blood on the uniform with no replacement uniform, etc, etc.

But not from not shooting the FTs.

Thanks Guys!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 01:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
So basically the only time a player can be disqualified is from 5 fouls, 2 technicals, flagrant technical, flagrant foul, having a concussion, blood on the uniform with no replacement uniform, etc, etc.

Thanks Guys!
A player, coach or spectator can also be disqualified if they start singing Barry Manilow songs. In fact, I'm sure a coach cannot only be disqualified, but shot. I don't remember the rule reference but I know it's in my rulebook.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
A player, coach or spectator can also be disqualified if they start singing Barry Manilow songs. In fact, I'm sure a coach cannot only be disqualified, but shot. I don't remember the rule reference but I know it's in my rulebook.

Are you using 2-3, The referee shall make decisions on any points not covered in the rules?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Concussion ???

Quote:
Good idea keeping a mental list of disqualifying acts. I don't know if your list is complete, but I do see an error. By rule, concussions don't keep a player out of the game. Also, by rule, a player who is unconscious must come out of the game, unless a written note by a physician says the he, or she, can play. Note that I said a physician, not a coach, not a trainer, not an EMT, not a paramedic, not a parent, not a firefighter, not a police officier, not a site director, not a school principal, not a dentist, not a priest, not a funeral director, etc.

The concussion issue came up last year. At first it appeared that officials were responsible to remove a player with a concussion from a game, but the NFHS came out with a clarification, that it was the coach's responsibility.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks Guys!
Stick with unconscious.

Having a concussion is much more difficult to diagnose.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Stick with unconscious.

Having a concussion is much more difficult to diagnose.
Yep, owing to the fact that the symptoms of concussion so closely mirror the symptoms of being a typical adolescent male.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks Guys!
A player with blood on the uniform may swap jerseys with another player if the referee is notified of the change. It is not necessary that the team have extra jerseys.