The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw Shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99866-free-throw-shooter.html)

OKREF Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:58am

Free Throw Shooter

Just read this on the NFHS site.

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

Rule 9-1-3g was revised in 2014-15 to allow a player occupying a marked lane space to enter the lane on the release of the ball by the free thrower. As a result of this change, protection of the free thrower needs to be emphasized. On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line extended into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard. A player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is farther from the basket until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

I'm assuming this is a violation and will be treated as if someone entered the lane early. Or if there is contact it could be a foul?

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54pm

It'll be interesting to see where they put this, and how it's worded, in the actual rule. Given their recent record, I could see them simply making it a case play instead.

Raymond Mon Jun 08, 2015 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 963503)

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

I'm assuming this is a violation and will be treated as if someone entered the lane early. Or if there is contact it could be a foul?

I'm calling fouls.

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2015 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 963521)
I'm calling fouls.

I'm calling the violation, but if the defender actually fouls the shooter as well, we could have both.

Raymond Mon Jun 08, 2015 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 963522)
I'm calling the violation, but if the defender actually fouls the shooter as well, we could have both.

I'll treat it like we already treat throw-ins.

If there is illegal contact I'm calling a foul; no or marginal contact, I'll call the violation.

OKREF Mon Jun 08, 2015 01:55pm

At the very least it's a violation, and depending on the contact it may be a foul, I guess is how I am looking at it.

BigCat Mon Jun 08, 2015 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 963524)
I'll treat it like we already treat throw-ins.

If there is illegal contact I'm calling a foul; no or marginal contact, I'll call the violation.

I understand where you are coming from on throw ins. Guy breaks plane and fouls we call intentional foul. however, on FTs we have specific procedure. defense violates--arm out, delayed violation. If he continues and fouls then call foul also. If ball goes in then you are only penalizing foul. If it doesnt, then shooter gets another FT and then penalty for foul. We will see what they come up with in the book.

Nevadaref Mon Jun 08, 2015 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 963526)
I understand where you are coming from on throw ins. Guy breaks plane and fouls we call intentional foul. however, on FTs we have specific procedure. defense violates--arm out, delayed violation. If he continues and fouls then call foul also. If ball goes in then you are only penalizing foul. If it doesnt, then shooter gets another FT and then penalty for foul. We will see what they come up with in the book.

Throw-in: defender breaks the plane and contacts the ball or thrower = official calls the technical foul or intentional personal foul AND issues a team delay of game warning, if one has not already been charged. The inconsistency comes when this action occurs after a delay warning has already been charged. The official doesn't issue two technical fouls or one IPF and a tech on the same play.

Nevadaref Mon Jun 08, 2015 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 963503)

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

Rule 9-1-3g was revised in 2014-15 to allow a player occupying a marked lane space to enter the lane on the release of the ball by the free thrower. As a result of this change, protection of the free thrower needs to be emphasized. On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line extended into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard. A player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is farther from the basket until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

As I predicted, the ego of IAABO interpreter Peter Webb prevails with a ridiculous NFHS rule change.

Adam Mon Jun 08, 2015 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 963530)
As I predicted, the ego of IAABO interpreter Peter Webb prevails with a ridiculous NFHS rule change.

I've got a feeling they intended to make this change in the first place, reverting back to the way the rule used to be before they changed it the last time.

Again, I'll be mildly surprised if they don't just make it a case play and leave the rule alone.

crosscountry55 Mon Jun 08, 2015 02:58pm

I'll call it however they write it up in the case book, personal feelings set aside.

I will say that that this fixation on boxing out the shooter has become a bit absurd lately, especially in summer ball. So something does need to be done to clean it up. You rarely see this in college ball, so I'm not sure why it's such a coaching fascination in high school.

It would be nice if we also felt as obliged to clean up some of the garbage between players in the marked lane spaces, but for some reason we loathe calling fouls down there.

Raymond Mon Jun 08, 2015 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 963533)
I'll call it however they write it up in the case book, personal feelings set aside.

I will say that that this fixation on boxing out the shooter has become a bit absurd lately, especially in summer ball. So something does need to be done to clean it up. You rarely see this in college ball, so I'm not sure why it's such a coaching fascination in high school.

You don't see it in college ball b/c college coaches are smarter than HS coaches. There is no need for the topside defenders to actively "box out" the FT shooter; they should already have gained an advantageous position by stepping into the lane upon the release. If they simply do that, any illegal contact will come from the free throw shooter displacing the defender from behind.

BillyMac Mon Jun 08, 2015 04:29pm

Ridiculousness ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 963530)

I will agree with you that Mr. Webb's insistence on IAABO officials using this rule last year (in essence, making IAABO a rule making organization rather than a basketball official educational organization, as it's supposed to be) before the NFHS clarified this issue was totally ridiculous.

However, if you think that the actual rule is ridiculous, then why didn't you complain that it was ridiculous when it was in the NFHS rulebook back in the 1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rulebook, the year before they, again, changed release to hit?

AremRed Mon Jun 08, 2015 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 963537)
You don't see it in college ball b/c college coaches are smarter than HS coaches. There is no need for the topside defenders to actively "box out" the FT shooter; they should already have gained an advantageous position by stepping into the lane upon the release. If they simply do that, any illegal contact will come from the free throw shooter displacing the defender from behind.

Maybe the referees should all meet and release a "Coaching Points of Emphasis" like they do for us. :D

Nevadaref Mon Jun 08, 2015 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 963550)
I will agree with you that Mr. Webb's insistence on IAABO officials using this rule last year (in essence, making IAABO a rule making organization rather than a basketball official educational organization, as it's supposed to be) before the NFHS clarified this issue was totally ridiculous.

However, if you think that the actual rule is ridiculous, then why didn't you complain that it was ridiculous when it was in the NFHS rulebook back in the 1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rulebook, the year before they, again, changed release to hit?

Because I first became a HS basketball official for the 1997-98 season.