The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 03:24pm
Back from the DL

Behind the table, wrong number reported, fallout

There was a thread on the Facebook group that mentioned reporting the wrong number (shooter's number) to the table. I've been on both sides, reporting and behind the table. Here's what it looks like from the latter.

Two years ago, BV, my son's team (manager) is V, a #1 at #2 match-up. Full house. Three-man crew assigned.

Earlier that day, my son texts me to bring his shooting shirt, which he forgot. I arrive midway through the JV game, and he's keeping the visitor's book at the table. Due to the crowd and layout, I cannot reach the table, so like any good father, I balled up the shirt and nailed him in the head with a perfect throw. My penance: I had to finish keeping the JV book while he had managerial duties to fulfill.

It had been 30 years since I kept a book, but I caught on. At the JV game's end, I asked him if I could keep book for the varsity game, so he could watch from the bench. Sure, what could go wrong, right?

Second quarter, V-24 commits a shooting foul on H-10. U1 reports to the table the foul being on #10. My first thought: that's wrong. (My second thought: Hey, I've done that!) I stop the official scorekeeper and timekeeper (who posts the fouls on the scoreboard), saying he reported the shooter, not the fouler. U-1 is now the C, opposite table, when he realizes his mistake, and discreetly singles two and four fingers. The official scorekeeper sees #23.

I stop them again. First, that's wrong, and secondly, #23 is V's "star player," so I'm not going to let that happen. (I'd never hear the end of it, if I did.) We get so caught up in the discussion, we're not paying attention to the free throws. After the free throws, V has the ball, timekeeper hits horn. U1 comes over to confirm the foul on V-24.

We're not done. A minute goes by. Coach H wants to know why the scoreboard shows one fewer point than he believes he has. Game stopped to discuss. As it turns out, H-10 hit both free throws, but our discussion distracted us to the point that all three of us only remember one made free throw. R confers with U-1 and U-2. They also don't remember if one or two free throws were made. Without definite knowledge, the score stands, and H is charged a time out. Coach H in disbelief, H student section booing heavily. Table feeling sheepish.

V comes out with a 15-point win. I know, the error didn't affect the game's outcome, but still, it was a lesson learned on how distractions can hurt an honest effort.
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 04:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
... reporting the wrong number (shooter's number) to the table.
A few decades ago, our interpreter encouraged us to remember both the fouler's number, and the foulee's number, when charging, and reporting a foul.

I guess that the neuron synapses in my brain just don't have that ability to process something like that. After mixing up the two numbers on the way to the reporting area several times, I just gave up after a few games, and I have never tried it again.

I pregame with my partner that I will point to the shooter (foulee) if there could be a question, I may even know what he looks like, but I won't know his number.

There's another, related, problem that I have. When we have a double whistle for a foul, once I'm pretty sure that my partner is going to take the call, I immediately concentrate on the shooter (foulee), and if a split second later, my partner decides to let me take the call, I am usually at a loss to remember the fouler's number. I'll have the foulee, but not the fouler.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 15, 2015 at 06:04am.
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 09:44pm
Stubborn Member

How could none of the officials know if one or two free throws were made?
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

if you report the wrong number, go fix it. Sheepishly signaling 24 while across the floor is not fixing it. Blow the whistle, go over to the table and correct it.

Two reasons:
- you avoid the situation described in the op
- the coach saw you report the wrong number and believes that is what is going in the book. You better make sure he understands it is changing.
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

also, I remember both numbers and usually communicate both verbally at some point.

While walking to the table, to one of my partners: "10 is the shooter"

At the table, "white, 24, push"
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Lesson: when fixing table issues, stop the game! If you are an official, whistle, communicate with partners, and then address table issue. If you are part of the table crew, sound the horn, get an official to halt the action, then address the issue.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A few decades ago, our interpreter encouraged us to remember both the fouler's number, and the foulee's number, when charging, and reporting a foul.

I guess that the neuron synapses in my brain just don't have that ability to process something like that. After mixing up the two numbers on the way to the reporting area several times, I just gave up after a few games, and I have never tried it again.

I pregame with my partner that I will point to the shooter (foulee) if there could be a question, I may even know what he looks like, but I won't know his number.

There's another, related, problem that I have. When we have a double whistle for a foul, once I'm pretty sure that my partner is going to take the call, I immediately concentrate on the shooter (foulee), and if a split second later, my partner decides to let me take the call, I am usually at a loss to remember the fouler's number. I'll have the foulee, but not the fouler.
I'm with you on these. For some reason I have problems when trying to remember both numbers. I got tired of having to go to the table and make the correction...besides, it makes you look bad to EVERYONE in the gym. I don't really care about the fans personally, but if they start getting on the entire crew because I have a brain f@rt it may rattle a less experienced partner. I also don't want to just hand a coach more to complain about. I heard a HC at a very powerful program in our area make the comment along the lines of "I was thinking about suggesting to X (our assigner) that he should get better games but he seems to make a lot small mistakes during a game. He gets calls right, but I don't want to risk him getting rattled in a big game."

If one person is thinking about it, you never know who else is in the gym checking you out. I would much rather get dinged in a camp than get hurt with the guy that actually assigns me games.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I'm with you on these. For some reason I have problems when trying to remember both numbers. I got tired of having to go to the table and make the correction...besides, it makes you look bad to EVERYONE in the gym. I don't really care about the fans personally, but if they start getting on the entire crew because I have a brain f@rt it may rattle a less experienced partner. I also don't want to just hand a coach more to complain about. I heard a HC at a very powerful program in our area make the comment along the lines of "I was thinking about suggesting to X (our assigner) that he should get better games but he seems to make a lot small mistakes during a game. He gets calls right, but I don't want to risk him getting rattled in a big game."

If one person is thinking about it, you never know who else is in the gym checking you out. I would much rather get dinged in a camp than get hurt with the guy that actually assigns me games.
I always tell me partner that number x is our shooter. Then double check the back of the foulers jersy before going to the table and reporting the foul on Y.

THis way I don't have to think about both numbers and if there is a timeout or confusion then at least two officials know/should be able to remember who was supposed to be on the line.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Iaabo...

Yet another reason why IAABO needs to go. NFHS mechanics would've kept the calling official table side, eliminating the cross court miscommunication.
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 12:42pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Yet another reason why IAABO needs to go. NFHS mechanics would've kept the calling official table side, eliminating the cross court miscommunication.
Not sure what you're talking about. The IAABO reporting area IS tableside.

Old Sat May 16, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. The IAABO reporting area IS tableside.

He wasn't talking about the reporting area but where the official goes after reporting.