The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Last night, the table called me over and told me that all the numbers in the book were correct, but two of the names had been reversed. For example 40 - Jones, 41 - Williams, when it should have been 40 - Williams, 41 - Jones.

The numbers were correct, I did not T the offending team, becuase as I remembered the rules dealt with changing numbers not names. Was I correct?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I believe any change in the book is a T.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
Last night, the table called me over and told me that all the numbers in the book were correct, but two of the names had been reversed. For example 40 - Jones, 41 - Williams, when it should have been 40 - Williams, 41 - Jones.

The numbers were correct, I did not T the offending team, becuase as I remembered the rules dealt with changing numbers not names. Was I correct?
If Jones was wearing 41 and the book has him as 40, and Williams was wearing 40 and the book has him as 41, how can the numbers be correct?

The numbers are wrong. It's 1 technical foul when brought to your attention.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I fall on the side of "leave it alone". The rules cover numbers only for a reason, we do not know who these players are, so there is no reason to get invovled.

What if the visiting team comes to you and says home number 13 in the book says it is scrub player, but we know for a fact it is star player who go suspended last week.

Are you going get involved with that? If there is a body in a number, in the book, that is all I care about. The rest is for the ad's and state to sort out.

I think we will only get ourselves in trouble if we don't.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

While I see your point of view, when I read the rule book last night, the book covered situations where numbers need to be changed. I took that to be changing 42 to 41. I may be misreading the rule, or splitting hairs. But do we really care what name is next to a number?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

If the numbers are right, I couldn't care less whose name is next to them. The names are only important in the box scores and that's not my jurisdiction.

Z
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I agree about "we don't care," but the rule is still there. I had a coach come to me and say that he had accidentally written "Sarah Doe" for number 43 when it should have been "Rebecca Doe" who was Sarah's sister. Sarah was not playing, but had played last week or something and was in the book. The coach said, "I'll have to take a technical, that's okay." Shoot, I couldn't have cared less, but it wasn't the book that told me, it was the coach, for Pete's sake!!! So we had to give them the T. It didn't matter one little bit either way, but I felt stupid but what choice did I have?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker, can you reference the rule you are referring to?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
See BktBallRef's references above. The rule says, "moving the feet." I take sliding to be a form of moving.

However, I will not call sliding on a bad floor with poor shoes, unless it appears that someone calculates to use the slide to gain an advantage, which fourth graders certainly are not capable of.

Wow, another run-on sentence... I've got to find some time to get back to Jane Austen and Dorothy L. Sayer.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 12:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Although it may seem it's not important to have the name match the correct number in the book, since we call fouls by number and would have the correct player be Dairy Queened if they got 5, think about having the wrong name if you had to report a player who got ejected for fighting.

That could turn out to be quite a mess, especially if suspensions were involved.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
See BktBallRef's references above. The rule says, "moving the feet." I take sliding to be a form of moving.

However, I will not call sliding on a bad floor with poor shoes, unless it appears that someone calculates to use the slide to gain an advantage, which fourth graders certainly are not capable of.
Juules, did you get your posts crossed or something? I think Rookie was asking about the rule regarding changing the names in the book (as opposed to the rule regarding changing the NUMBERS in the book).

Quote:
Wow, another run-on sentence... I've got to find some time to get back to Jane Austen and Dorothy L. Sayer.
I am all over the Jane Austen reference, but who is Dorothy Sayer? Never heard that name before.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
10-1-1 "Name and number of each squad member" -- I think it's implied that they go together (not -- all the names are in column A, and all the numbers are in column B, but none of the rows match).

10-1-2c

3.2.2A "EACH player must wear the number indicated in the scorebook ...

3.2.2E "change a number in the scorebook ... so it corresponds to what the squad member is wearing ... a technical foul is charged."

That should be enough.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Is that NFHS?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

HS or College, it is the same. You make a change in the book, it is a T.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Not trying to be an jerk or anything, but I would like to see the NFHS rule that states, changing a players name (not number) is a T.