View Single Post
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A few decades ago, our interpreter encouraged us to remember both the fouler's number, and the foulee's number, when charging, and reporting a foul.

I guess that the neuron synapses in my brain just don't have that ability to process something like that. After mixing up the two numbers on the way to the reporting area several times, I just gave up after a few games, and I have never tried it again.

I pregame with my partner that I will point to the shooter (foulee) if there could be a question, I may even know what he looks like, but I won't know his number.

There's another, related, problem that I have. When we have a double whistle for a foul, once I'm pretty sure that my partner is going to take the call, I immediately concentrate on the shooter (foulee), and if a split second later, my partner decides to let me take the call, I am usually at a loss to remember the fouler's number. I'll have the foulee, but not the fouler.
I'm with you on these. For some reason I have problems when trying to remember both numbers. I got tired of having to go to the table and make the correction...besides, it makes you look bad to EVERYONE in the gym. I don't really care about the fans personally, but if they start getting on the entire crew because I have a brain f@rt it may rattle a less experienced partner. I also don't want to just hand a coach more to complain about. I heard a HC at a very powerful program in our area make the comment along the lines of "I was thinking about suggesting to X (our assigner) that he should get better games but he seems to make a lot small mistakes during a game. He gets calls right, but I don't want to risk him getting rattled in a big game."

If one person is thinking about it, you never know who else is in the gym checking you out. I would much rather get dinged in a camp than get hurt with the guy that actually assigns me games.