View Single Post
Old Thu May 14, 2015, 03:24pm
Back from the DL

Behind the table, wrong number reported, fallout

There was a thread on the Facebook group that mentioned reporting the wrong number (shooter's number) to the table. I've been on both sides, reporting and behind the table. Here's what it looks like from the latter.

Two years ago, BV, my son's team (manager) is V, a #1 at #2 match-up. Full house. Three-man crew assigned.

Earlier that day, my son texts me to bring his shooting shirt, which he forgot. I arrive midway through the JV game, and he's keeping the visitor's book at the table. Due to the crowd and layout, I cannot reach the table, so like any good father, I balled up the shirt and nailed him in the head with a perfect throw. My penance: I had to finish keeping the JV book while he had managerial duties to fulfill.

It had been 30 years since I kept a book, but I caught on. At the JV game's end, I asked him if I could keep book for the varsity game, so he could watch from the bench. Sure, what could go wrong, right?

Second quarter, V-24 commits a shooting foul on H-10. U1 reports to the table the foul being on #10. My first thought: that's wrong. (My second thought: Hey, I've done that!) I stop the official scorekeeper and timekeeper (who posts the fouls on the scoreboard), saying he reported the shooter, not the fouler. U-1 is now the C, opposite table, when he realizes his mistake, and discreetly singles two and four fingers. The official scorekeeper sees #23.

I stop them again. First, that's wrong, and secondly, #23 is V's "star player," so I'm not going to let that happen. (I'd never hear the end of it, if I did.) We get so caught up in the discussion, we're not paying attention to the free throws. After the free throws, V has the ball, timekeeper hits horn. U1 comes over to confirm the foul on V-24.

We're not done. A minute goes by. Coach H wants to know why the scoreboard shows one fewer point than he believes he has. Game stopped to discuss. As it turns out, H-10 hit both free throws, but our discussion distracted us to the point that all three of us only remember one made free throw. R confers with U-1 and U-2. They also don't remember if one or two free throws were made. Without definite knowledge, the score stands, and H is charged a time out. Coach H in disbelief, H student section booing heavily. Table feeling sheepish.

V comes out with a 15-point win. I know, the error didn't affect the game's outcome, but still, it was a lesson learned on how distractions can hurt an honest effort.