The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Your NCAA rules knowledge is a little off. Go do some research an post again once you've read the section on technical fouls and flagrant personal fouls.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "routine" technical foul in the rules book. What do you mean by that? It could mean different things to different people.
NCAAM 4-15.3d(1) Flagrant 2 Contact Technical. If I was off by one word, I'll accept that [very egotistical] correction. By the way, why would I have any reason to look up the section on flagrant personal fouls in this instance? This was clearly a dead ball foul after the held ball.

Then we move to NCAAM 10-3-1e + 10-3-1 PENALTY & 10-3-1 RESUMPTION OF PLAY. This is a Class A unsporting tech that qualifies as a Flagrant 2 Contact Tech. Tell me again how my rules knowledge is a little off? Seems like it was pretty spot on.

Lastly, the word "routine" is located nowhere in any basketball rule book. I'm pretty sure most people can figure that out. Are adjectives not authorized in this forum? I didn't get that memo.

NOTE: I didn't look up the NCAAW verbiage, and I know it's a little different, but the end result would be the same.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sun Feb 15, 2015 at 09:32am.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
For NCAA, yes. The OP was high school, so there isn't a POI tech (unless multiple)
Nope, a dead ball tech in NCAA men is not POI, so please refrain from confusing the situation with talk of POI.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but had this been a routine POI technical, the POI would have been the AP throw-in?
Quote:
For NCAA, yes.
Quote:
Nope, a dead ball tech in NCAA men is not POI, so please refrain from confusing the situation with talk of POI.
What if the dead ball tech is non-contact and not a flagrant 2? Would that not result in POI?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the dead ball tech is non-contact and not a flagrant 2? Would that not result in POI?
So would that then be an unsporting technical? If so, what difference does it make if the ball was live or dead?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Lastly, the word "routine" is located nowhere in any basketball rule book. I'm pretty sure most people can figure that out. Are adjectives not authorized in this forum? I didn't get that memo.
His point (a valid one) is that "routine" doesn't really tell us anything about what you were thinking on this, and does sort of leave us wondering what you meant. Can we guess? Sure, but it's a guess.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Umm... Yes it is. Before you go telling others to check the rules, you better be pretty sure yourself. The situation cc posted did NOT say dead ball contact. A "dead ball technical foul" written like that should be POI.

Quote:
So would that then be an unsporting technical? If so, what difference does it make if the ball was live or dead?
You're right about this, the ball being live or dead is irrelevant.

Cross country, am I correct in saying that your original question about a routine POI technical wasn't concerned with how the tech happened, but rather whether or not to go to the arrow after? That's what I would assume most reasonable people would gather from the phrase "routine POI technical." The point is the majority of technical fouls in fact ARE infractions that are resumed POI, and if a held ball was the last thing to happen before the technical foul, then we go to the arrow.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Contact" dead ball technicals are not POI in NCAAM. That word is important. Mouthing off during a dead ball is a class A and still POI. Dunking a dead ball is a Class B and still POI. Adding a player to the roster at the 6 minute mark..before the game..while the ball is dead is an administrative tech--POI.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 12:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Good advice for those who live in specific corners of Connecticut. Not so much for the rest of us.
The amount of misplaced pride in an area so clearly still in the mid-80s amazes me. 2-man, wearing belts, carrying an A/P binky in the pocket...

I started in the 1980s too. I've changed with the times.

Official opposite the table look when convenient. After all the crap is over. There's no hurry to signal direction, after all.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 01:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, At Least We Stopped Using Laced Basketballs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The amount of misplaced pride in an area so clearly still in the mid-80s amazes me. 2-man, wearing belts, carrying an A/P binky in the pocket.
The "Belt Era", in my little corner of Connecticut, may soon be over.

There was an unannounced change in the Handbook of IAABO (International) 2014-15. Please note the differences below:

Handbook of IAABO 2013-14
Page 2: IAABO Uniform
The approved official uniform established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
1) Long black slacks

Handbook of IAABO 2014-15
Page 2: IAABO Uniform
The approved official uniform established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
1) Long black pants (beltless, and not tapered)

This unannounced change is on our local board's agenda to be discussed at the next business meeting.

We're gonna party like it's 1999.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 15, 2015 at 01:44pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 01:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nevermore (Edgar Allan Poe) ...

Quote:
There's no hurry to signal direction, after all.
I once hurried this directional signal and popped a player right in the face.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I once hurried this directional signal and popped a player right in the face.
We've had previous threads on this forum discussing coaches who are out a step or two on the court during a live ball. Well an illegal screen (team control signal) by a table side C can remind them in a hurry that they are to be on the sideline!! I almost caught a coach clean on the jaw once, he actually leaned back, Matrix-style to avoid it, falling on top of his assistant coaches!! Needless to say, he did a pretty good job of staying back after that....
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Umm... Yes it is. Before you go telling others to check the rules, you better be pretty sure yourself. The situation cc posted did NOT say dead ball contact. A "dead ball technical foul" written like that should be POI.

You're right about this, the ball being live or dead is irrelevant.

Cross country, am I correct in saying that your original question about a routine POI technical wasn't concerned with how the tech happened, but rather whether or not to go to the arrow after? That's what I would assume most reasonable people would gather from the phrase "routine POI technical." The point is the majority of technical fouls in fact ARE infractions that are resumed POI, and if a held ball was the last thing to happen before the technical foul, then we go to the arrow.
Yes, it was.

Funny how I added an unnecessary word, and Nevada forgot a very important one, and between the two of us my simple question took about eight rounds of posting to resolve. All because of two words.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 03:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fine Young Cannibals ...

Quote:
All because of two words.
Two words can be just as important as one punctuation mark:

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 15, 2015 at 03:27pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 07:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The "Belt Era", in my little corner of Connecticut, may soon be over.
Please tell me IAABO has also banned members from mentioning the "b" word in online forums??
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 12:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Police - Internal Affairs Division ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Please tell me IAABO has also banned members from mentioning the "b" word in online forums??
Only if it's "tapered".

Quote:
... wearing belts ...
"We Didn't Start the Fire" (Billy Joel, 1989).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 16, 2015 at 12:15am.