Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 03:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: Re: Not allowed there either.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
segeragated
What's "segeragated" mean? Is that like "regurgitated"?
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

In the early 80's, my HS had a smoking area where students over 16 were permitted to smoke. Chewing tobacco or whatever they call that stuff (Skoal, Copenhagen, etc.) was also very common around school and was permitted.

I'm pretty sure it was not illegal for the teams to have/use it during baseball or football. The stance on smoking has changed dramatially over the last 20 years.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
And Chuck, exactly how does one become an "Association hoe"?? Inquiring minds want to know...
I don't even know what an Association hoe is, let alone how to become one It doesn't sound good, tho.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Not allowed there either.

Quote:
I did xxxxxxx.
I will not stoop to vulgar insults, but if you truly did read my post, then you clearly did not understand it. My point was not that smoking was a problem at the HS level; merely that it was much more common to see football or baseball personell using tobacco products in the past than it is now.

Quote:
It was never acceptable in any rules I know of. It was not acceptable when I was in HS, it is not acceptable now. That is why I said, "I do not know where you get your information from." When was it acceptable Chuck, 1950?
Have you ever heard of Major League Baseball? Jim Leyland used to smoke in the Pirates dugout as recently as maybe 10 years ago. Players still use chewing tobacco regularly. Ever hear of the NBA? Red Aurbach [sp, sorry] made the "victory cigar" famous, while sitting on the Celtics bench. My point was only that the culture of some games was more accepting of tobacco than basketball was/is.

And finally, if you had read my post, you would've seen that I admitted that my hypothesis was just a guess. I'm not trying to say that's what happened. I'm only venturing a guess. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But your post doesn't help the discussion at all.

[Edited by mick on Sep 3rd, 2003 at 05:43 PM]
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink You can give it, but you cannot take it.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

I will not stoop to vulgar insults, but if you truly did read my post, then you clearly did not understand it. My point was not that smoking was a problem at the HS level; merely that it was much more common to see football or baseball personell using tobacco products in the past than it is now.
There was a time that someone tried to call my comments in question because I was not referring to HS ball. Well unless this is something going on in your state, as long as I have lived in my state, which is nearly all my life but 4 years, I have never seen that on a large scale with HS players or coaches. Not to say you never saw it, but it was not a common practice (at the HS level). If you were talking levels higher than the HS level, then we have another discussion. But like you always try to tell me, you should have made that clear, but you did not.

Quote:

Have you ever heard of Major League Baseball? Jim Leyland used to smoke in the Pirates dugout as recently as maybe 10 years ago. Players still use chewing tobacco regularly. Ever hear of the NBA? Red Aurbach [sp, sorry] made the "victory cigar" famous, while sitting on the Celtics bench. My point was only that the culture of some games was more accepting of tobacco than basketball was/is.
If you want to compare the Major Leagues with the NF, that is not a very good comparison. They still wear jewelry in the Majors and in other pro sports. The NBA has rules against that, but that has bigger liability issues to wear jewelry. But I think we have all stated at one time or another how different the pros are with their rules and their philosophy behind them. The pros are adults, not minors and children.

Quote:

And finally, if you had read my post, you would've seen that I admitted that my hypothesis was just a guess. I'm not trying to say that's what happened. I'm only venturing a guess. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But your post doesn't help the discussion at all.
That is why I said you were wrong. Your guess was way off. And yes it did add to the discussion, just like your posts add to the discussion when you claim to do the same thing with me. What I find funny, is you do not appear to like it when I point out your flaws or your posts that I feel are way off. But you always seem to want to tell me what I do not know, do not understand or what I think is crazy (in my own state mind you). If you can give it, take it when it is done to you.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Rut, I was gonna reply and point out the errors in your last post, and then I thought:

Juulie says my post helped her. . .
You say I'm way off. . .

Whose feedback do I actually value? So say whatever you want. I helped Juulie and that's all I was trying to do. I'm satisfied with that. Ta.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 09:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:

Juulie says my post helped her. . .
You say I'm way off. . .

Whose feedback do I actually value? So say whatever you want. I helped Juulie and that's all I was trying to do. I'm satisfied with that. Ta.
Remember that next time when you try to tell me what I should have said. But then again, you are Chuck Elias, you are a one sport official that knows everything.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Rut,

Can I ask you a serious question? Why do you stoop to personal insults and name-calling? I try very hard to respond to what you say, rather than make personal comments (although once in a great while, I admit, my frustration spills into my comments and becomes personal). Yet just in this thread you've called me a dumbxxx and a know-it-all. In another recent thread, you called me a fool.

Frankly, I don't care about what you call me. I'm a firm believer in "sticks and stones" and all that. But I'm curious as to why you resort to this. It makes you seem petty. Is there some reason that you lower yourself to insults, maybe for emphasis, or something? I'm just curious. Again, this is a serious question in the hope of improving the level of dialogue here.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Don't bother asking, Chuck. He won't answer. He's incacapable of answering, especially when he has no answer. It's who and what he is, a bitter, bitter person.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Rut,

Can I ask you a serious question? Why do you stoop to personal insults and name-calling? I try very hard to respond to what you say, rather than make personal comments (although once in a great while, I admit, my frustration spills into my comments and becomes personal). Yet just in this thread you've called me a dumbxxx and a know-it-all. In another recent thread, you called me a fool.
Let me say that, if you claim that you have never called me a name, then we all need to stand back from our computers and watch out for the electric shock. I am just doing what you seem to condone and the way you seem to like to do it. If it is good for you and others, it is definitely good for me.

Quote:

Frankly, I don't care about what you call me. I'm a firm believer in "sticks and stones" and all that. But I'm curious as to why you resort to this. It makes you seem petty.
When you are telling me "your post was not helpful, because you did not say......," and you are calling me petty? Let us call a spade a spade here. Most of your post in response to me are extreamely petty, considering when they do not go along with your ideals or way of thinking. You have the gaul to try to tell me what I post is not helpful, because it does not answer a question you think should be asked. If you have not noticed, I hardly ever sugar-coat things. I do not answer questions like you, because I do not see the need skirt the issue. I tell it like it is, call it like I see it and I know very well that others do not agree or will never agree. That is who I am Chuck, if you like people that lie to you and give you half information, then you can find many guys here that do that every time they post. No different than if you were in a meeting with me or officiating with me. And you want to know something, that is why I am successful.

Quote:

Is there some reason that you lower yourself to insults, maybe for emphasis, or something? I'm just curious. Again, this is a serious question in the hope of improving the level of dialogue here.
I do not feel I am lowering myself to anything. I feel I am fitting in with the status quo that prevails on this and many other officiating internet sites. Especially when the many discussions that we have here or solely opinions to begin with. Someone sent me an email a couple of weeks ago about someone that responded to me and say, "it seems like you cannot just share an opinion anymore."

If you want to raise the level of dialogue, do these things. (Of course this is my opinion).

1. Understand that a post is a personal opinion shared.

Unless we are talking about something black and white in the rulebook, much of what is shared is a personal opinion and a phlosophy.

2. Opinions shared might work in their area, but not translate in your area.

If I have learned anything, what works in my area, does not necessarily work in North Carolina or Florida or Nebraska.

3. The level that the individual officiates might say something about their opinion.

This is the main reason most guys I know would never come to this or any other website for officiating information. No one cares what I say, you say, Tony says, or what Mick says, because our last name is not O'Neil, Hightower, Pamon, Michalek, or Markbreit. And because none of us share those last names in officiating, what we say means nothing to the general officiating public. Last time I checked Chuck, you have not accomplished anything these guys listed have, so what you say or what I say is only going to go so far in the first place. I have always understood that, but you seem to think no one but you can have an opinion and act like a man when reading it.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Sep 4th, 2003 at 12:35 PM]
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Don't bother asking, Chuck. He won't answer. He's incacapable of answering, especially when he has no answer. It's who and what he is, a bitter, bitter person.
What am I bitter of Tony? Am I bitter because I do not get games? Am I bitter because of what you and others think I should be? I seemed to get hired in every camp I have attended in the past few years. I must be doing something right in officiating, so I really do not see how that is being bitter.

I get it, I do not bow down to the Almighty "most respected" Tony Haire on officiating discussion boards. That has to be it. Now should I give my test scores, will that make you happy?

Peace
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No one cares what... Mick says....
Yer right.
I don't either.
Gimmee my 15V.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What am I bitter of Tony? Am I bitter because I do not get games? Am I bitter because of what you and others think I should be? I seemed to get hired in every camp I have attended in the past few years. I must be doing something right in officiating, so I really do not see how that is being bitter.

I get it, I do not bow down to the Almighty "most respected" Tony Haire on officiating discussion boards. That has to be it. Now should I give my test scores, will that make you happy?
Thanks for making my point.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Gimmee my 15V.
Yer what?
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote: