The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Someone already did. See post #14
Thanks, I noticed that, but that's only when we need to instruct to remove a player from the court. My comment was aimed more towards the coach choosing to remove a player from the court. I should have been more clear.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 720
That's saying that if the official directs the student-team member to leave, they must leave with an adult. It says nothing about an adult being required to leave with the student if the coach tells him/her to "get off my bench."

I'd guess that most schools have rules about leaving a student-athlete unsupervised in such a situation, but is it actually in the playing rules?
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:00am
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Thanks, I noticed that, but that's only when we need to instruct to remove a player from the court. My comment was aimed more towards the coach choosing to remove a player from the court. I should have been more clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
That's saying that if the official directs the student-team member to leave, they must leave with an adult. It says nothing about an adult being required to leave with the student if the coach tells him/her to "get off my bench."

I'd guess that most schools have rules about leaving a student-athlete unsupervised in such a situation, but is it actually in the playing rules?

Read Posts 2, 13, 14, and 17. Players/Substitutes are to remain under adult supervision at all times. If a Game Official sees a Disqualified Player leaving the Bench unescorted by an adult, it is the responsibility of the Game Official to see that the Disqualified Player is supervised by an adult at least within the visual confines of the Court.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Read Posts 2, 13, 14, and 17. Players/Substitutes are to remain under adult supervision at all times. If a Game Official sees a Disqualified Player leaving the Bench unescorted by an adult, it is the responsibility of the Game Official to see that the Disqualified Player is supervised by an adult at least within the visual confines of the Court.
MTD, Sr.
For me this is where the rubber meets the road. Once said player leaves the court I could care less where they go or who is with them. You can't manage this situation any further. Hopefully a major a$$ chewing is waiting for them wherever that may be.
__________________
"The soldier is the army."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:13am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I think we're on the same page here, I just wanted to be sure you wouldn't sit there and signal T after T in her face with each thing she did, that's the unnecessary escalation that I was referring to.
As much fun as that would be I doubt I'm ever gonna get my Tech-tacular! achievement. That's 5 techs in a row within 4 seconds of each other for you Halo fans.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Read Posts 2, 13, 14, and 17. Players/Substitutes are to remain under adult supervision at all times. If a Game Official sees a Disqualified Player leaving the Bench unescorted by an adult, it is the responsibility of the Game Official to see that the Disqualified Player is supervised by an adult at least within the visual confines of the Court.

MTD, Sr.
That's where I disagree in this discussion.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:23am
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
That's where I disagree in this discussion.

And you can disagree all you want. BUT, by Rule, as long as that Disqualified Player is within the Visual Confines of the Court, he/she had better be under the supervision of an adult. Thereby making it your responsibility to ensure he/sher is supervised by an adult.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:24am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And you can disagree all you want. BUT, by Rule, as long as that Disqualified Player is within the Visual Confines of the Court, he/she had better be under the supervision of an adult. Thereby making it your responsibility to ensure he/sher is supervised by an adult.

MTD, Sr.
As long as he's on the court, he is under direct supervision. If I can see him, the coach can see him.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And you can disagree all you want. BUT, by Rule, as long as that Disqualified Player is within the Visual Confines of the Court, he/she had better be under the supervision of an adult. Thereby making it your responsibility to ensure he/sher is supervised by an adult.

MTD, Sr.
It's not my job to make sure an adult is parked in the kids shorts. Like others have said if we can see them they are supervised.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Updated, player has been removed from the team and will be disciplined as a student also.
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 01:51pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Updated, player has been removed from the team and will be disciplined as a student also.
That is awesome.

Kind of surprised the school went that far, but I think that's exactly what they should have done!
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I think we're on the same page here, I just wanted to be sure you wouldn't sit there and signal T after T in her face with each thing she did, that's the unnecessary escalation that I was referring to.
Does anyone "T him/her in the face"? For any Technical, I'm moving a few steps away from the player, then sounding the whistle and indicating Technical Foul, and then proceeding to leave the area and report. And if I'm concerned about a fight, I will get the players separated first before calling a technical. After calling the technical and ensuring no escallation, I'm leaving the area and my partner(s) can assess whether or not a second T is warrented.

If the player is being led off and does something that I feel deserves a 3rd T, I'm taking a step away from the player and pausing for a second before sounding my whistle and signaling a technical. If it's bad enough to deserve a 3rd T, everyone in the gym will know what it is for anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ejection just another ref Baseball 15 Tue May 11, 2010 09:58pm
My First Ejection ... Al Softball 16 Tue May 02, 2006 10:57pm
Ejection tjones1 Basketball 31 Tue Nov 23, 2004 09:17am
Ejection JoeyMac323 Basketball 7 Mon Nov 08, 2004 08:19pm
My first ejection! buddha69 Softball 20 Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:51am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1