The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Situation: You are doing a JV and a V game. During the JV game, coach A is ejected. IF coach A coaches both JV and V can he/she come back and coach the V game. Or is that not possible due to the coach having to sit out for next JV game which hasn't occured yet? Thanks
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Situation: You are doing a JV and a V game. During the JV game, coach A is ejected. IF coach A coaches both JV and V can he/she come back and coach the V game. Or is that not possible due to the coach having to sit out for next JV game which hasn't occured yet? Thanks
That would be a state rule, not an NFHS rule. Check with your state.

However, remember that is not a referee's responsibility. That's the responsibility of the school's athletic director. We just ref the game, we don't have to deal with that administrative stuff. Not your problem to worry about whether or not the coach is supposed to be on the bench for that game.

Z
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Smile

J Rut,

Help please!
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a player or coach is ejected in a JV game thay must sit out the next game at that level. ie. a JV game. As opposed to a varsity game the next JV game may not occur for a couple of weeks. In the meantime the player or coach may not participate in a varsity game until the suspension is served. This is my understanding of how it is handled in Illinois.

If the Varsity Coach is coaching the JV game you best not dump him/her. Not worth the grief that will follow you for the rest of your career.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

If a player or coach is ejected in a JV game thay must sit out the next game at that level. ie. a JV game. As opposed to a varsity game the next JV game may not occur for a couple of weeks. In the meantime the player or coach may not participate in a varsity game until the suspension is served. This is my understanding of how it is handled in Illinois.
That's also my understanding. That said, it's not up to us to enforce this rule.

I'd mention it to the coach, and I'd include whether s/he coached the V game in my report to the state.

Don't most places in IL play the Soph game before the V game? The JVs usually play on Saturday morning or Mondday (?) nights.

Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 10:15am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

That's also my understanding. That said, it's not up to us to enforce this rule.

I'd mention it to the coach, and I'd include whether s/he coached the V game in my report to the state.

Don't most places in IL play the Soph game before the V game? The JVs usually play on Saturday morning or Mondday (?) nights.

bob, I've seen a few different things tried. I've seen that one and I've also seen the Girls V play then the Boys V. Then both JV teams would play on another night (Monday/Thursday).
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 10:37am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

If the Varsity Coach is coaching the JV game you best not dump him/her. Not worth the grief that will follow you for the rest of your career.

Are you saying that if the Varsity Coach is coaching the JV team and he does something for which the penalty is to be ejected, you would not eject him because you have to think about your officiating career?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

If the Varsity Coach is coaching the JV game you best not dump him/her. Not worth the grief that will follow you for the rest of your career. [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you saying that if the Varsity Coach is coaching the JV team and he does something for which the penalty is to be ejected, you would not eject him because you have to think about your officiating career?

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yup. Assignors don't look kindly on this. Nor do the AD's If I were to eject it better be for an extremely, extremely, extremely good reason. Guys who have done it regretted doing it. If it does come to that it's probably my fault for not using good game management and nipping it in the bud. Incidently I've never come close to this occurring.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

When I have had to eject a coach I have always had a reason to do so. If not I would not have ejected that person. I could care less about the AD or Assignor questioning my judgement. If someone is acting that much of a fool in a JV game I can only imagine what an idiot they would be in a varsity contest. What I am saying is, if the deserve to get tossed then they are getting tossed regardless of who they are and how many teams they coach. Also, when I have had to toss someone it does not necessarily mean that I have done a poor job officiating that lead up to that point.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
When I have had to eject a coach I have always had a reason to do so. If not I would not have ejected that person. I could care less about the AD or Assignor questioning my judgement. If someone is acting that much of a fool in a JV game I can only imagine what an idiot they would be in a varsity contest. What I am saying is, if the deserve to get tossed then they are getting tossed regardless of who they are and how many teams they coach. Also, when I have had to toss someone it does not necessarily mean that I have done a poor job officiating that lead up to that point.
To paraphrase Bill Maher: You can be right and still be wrong.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

then you can question your judgement all night long then if you would like to
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
then you can question your judgement all night long then if you would like to
Not at all. You may win the battle but lose the war. Nuff said.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yup. Assignors don't look kindly on this.

[/B][/QUOTE]Better be more specific and make that assignors in Illinois. Or maybe your assignors in Illinois. I doubt very much that that is true in all circumstances. I can think of one specific case where it isn't true- me. And I have to say that it's not true with regards to any of the other assignors that I deal with either. If an official has due cause to eject a coach, then the official should be backed 100% if he does so, both by his association and the leagues that he officiates in.

It's a real shame that Illinois officials work under those restrictions.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

very good JR, that was what I was looking for. I am not in illinois but it is nice to know that you will stand behind your officials in this situations.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
very good JR, that was what I was looking for. I am not in illinois but it is nice to know that you will stand behind your officials in this situations.
Redhouse, if I don't, then I'm not going to have any officials. What sane individual is going to referee under the conditions where he has to worry that his officiating future may depend on his ignoring unsporting conduct?