The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Archival Jurassic Referee Comments ...

More fuel for the fire:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post510764

And this (below) is what's bugging me:

IAABO Refresher Exam 2005: Question 73. Squad member #45 missed the bus and is not present at the time the squad list and starting lineup must be submitted for team members. During the pregame warmup, the referee counts eleven team members of team A but while checking the book team A has twelve team members listed. Referee informs the coach that the squad member who is not present may not be placed in the book even if he/she will get to the game late. Is the referee correct? Answer: Yes Rule Citation: Rule 3, Section 2, Article 1; Rule 4, Section 34, Article 4

And, even though we allowed the names to be written in the book, I'm still going to sleep well again tonight. Like a baby.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 13, 2014 at 06:07pm.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 04:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not give a darn who is in the book as long as they are eligible to play as any other player that may or may not be there. And since I do not work for an IAABO organization, I do not care what their ruling is. Here if they have 11 players on the court and 15 are listed in the book, I do not care. I will not even ask other than to make sure that they have everyone listed that may play. I do not even get a coach that crosses off names of players that are injured the might have not have made the bus. Why would I care to know a player might not play?

Do not complicate the issue.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 04:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
More fuel for the fire:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post510764

And this (below) is what's bugging me:

IAABO Refresher Exam 2005: Question 73. Squad member #45 missed the bus and is not present at the time the squad list and starting lineup must be submitted for team members. During the pregame warmup, the referee counts eleven team members of team A but while checking the book team A has twelve team members listed. Referee informs the coach that the squad member who is not present may not be placed in the book even if he/she will get to the game late. Is the referee correct? Answer: Yes Rule Citation: Rule 3, Section 2, Article 1; Rule 4, Section 34, Article 4

And, even though we allowed the names to be written in the book, I'm still going to sleep well again tonight. Like a baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not give a darn who is in the book as long as they are eligible to play as any other player that may or may not be there. And since I do not work for an IAABO organization, I do not care what their ruling is. Here if they have 11 players on the court and 15 are listed in the book, I do not care. I will not even ask other than to make sure that they have everyone listed that may play. I do not even get a coach that crosses off names of players that are injured the might have not have made the bus. Why would I care to know a player might not play?

Do not complicate the issue.

Peace
I do work IAABO, and I now recall this horrid and useless interp from IAABO. Frankly, this is another one of those IAABO interps that makes me question their sanity.

Another one is the one Billy posted about the contact on the FT shooter being ignored unless it's flagrant or intentional.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 05:16pm
TODO: creative title here

If I see 12 players warming up but only 10 players in the book, I'll say something to the coach to make sure the book is correct.

If I see 10 players warming up and 12 players in the book, we're good.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Supposedly ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Another one is the one Billy posted about the contact on the FT shooter being ignored unless it's flagrant or intentional.
If the defender along the free throw lane line breaks the plane of the free throw line, a violation has occurred. Use delayed violation signal. Hold whistle until free throw is completed. If free throw is made, ignore violation; if free throw is missed, award a replacement free throw. (9-1-3-B)

If there is contact on the free throw shooter by the defender who breaks the free throw line plane, ignore contact unless intentional. (9-1-3-B)

According to Peter Webb, Coordinator of Officials for IAABO (International), these rulings supposedly came to him from the NFHS. I'm curious as to why the NFHS has not clarified these rulings in any way that I am aware of. When are NFHS mid-season clarifications usually published?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 13, 2014 at 06:12pm.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 06:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have admit I don't know that the NFHS has been much better about this. When the started to fiddle with the intentional foul rule a couple years ago, they seem to have issued conflicting directives to different states.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When are NFHS mid-season clarifications usually published?
The following season.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 01:02pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Before the pregame ten minute mark, both head coaches requested to have players' names added to the official book because they expected these players to eventually show up, but due to transportation issues, they would probably be late.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why this is so complicated. If there's a remote chance that team members would become players, what's the harm of putting them in the book in the first place? What's the harm of putting them in the book, even if they're injured and can't play?
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 01:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If the defender along the free throw lane line breaks the plane of the free throw line, a violation has occurred. Use delayed violation signal. Hold whistle until free throw is completed. If free throw is made, ignore violation; if free throw is missed, award a replacement free throw. (9-1-3-B)

If there is contact on the free throw shooter by the defender who breaks the free throw line plane, ignore contact unless intentional. (9-1-3-B)

According to Peter Webb, Coordinator of Officials for IAABO (International), these rulings supposedly came to him from the NFHS. I'm curious as to why the NFHS has not clarified these rulings in any way that I am aware of. When are NFHS mid-season clarifications usually published?
Ignore live ball contact unless it's intentional? Since when?
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why this is so complicated. If there's a remote chance that team members would become players, what's the harm of putting them in the book in the first place? What's the harm of putting them in the book, even if they're injured and can't play?
Billy asked if this were a test question would he have been correct allowing names to be put in book of players not present. there's no harm in putting names in early which is why we all allow it. however, when you read the provisions cited above, the definition of "team member" in the rules, there is an argument that players have to be in uniform and present before they can be put in the book. if you could put everyone in early there would be no reason to have a penalty for adding names after the 10 minute mark. again, it's dumb, no harm in it etc and im filing this right next to some of the multiple fouls. but if there's a test question i have a strong feeling that the correct answer would say players have to be present and in uniform before they can be put in book.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Players around here all wear warm-ups, so I don't go around checking to make sure each one has an actual uniform on underneath them.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Homeless In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why this is so complicated?
This (below) complicates it. I got it wrong nine years ago, and it still sticks in my craw.

Back in 2005, I would have bet my house that IAABO would make a correction on this question, and would change the correct answer to "No".

I'm now homeless.

And I still haven't lost any sleep (I sleep under a bridge) because we allowed the names to be added to the book Friday night.

Stupid IAABO. Who died and made them the king?

Last edited by Adam; Mon Dec 15, 2014 at 12:17pm. Reason: Moderation
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 02:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not The Officials, Hopefully ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Players around here all wear warm-ups, so I don't go around checking to make sure each one has an actual uniform on underneath them.
Players going commando? Interesting.

Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

This feels like a thread that would come up in June when we have nothing else to talk about.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 01:01pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
This (below) complicates it. I got it wrong nine years ago, and it still sticks in my craw.

Hmmm, never saw that before. I'd fall back on Roman Law.