The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:14pm
#thereferee99

NFHS Rules book & case book on my phone.

Just downloaded the NFHS rules book and case book app to my Android phone. $5.99 avail at Android marketplace. Searchable content. Perfect!
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

What was the app called? Looking for it on my iPhone but I'm guessing apple doesn't have it.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 09:39pm
#thereferee99

I searched on NFHS

.... and that did the trick on the Android Market.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:40am
Official & Member

Does anyone have the 2011-12 rulebook in PDF format that they would be willing to share? Please send me a private message. I'd like to download to an ipad.

I tried getting access on the Fed site which now goes through arbiter. At that point, I got a message that access is restricted. Not sure why that happened as our local and state asociations are Fed members and I have successfully gotten access to rule books before.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I tried getting access on the Fed site which now goes through arbiter. At that point, I got a message that access is restricted. Not sure why that happened as our local and state asociations are Fed members and I have successfully gotten access to rule books before.
Exact same thing happened to me. I hope it is a site problem and becomes accessible later.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard they're moving to a searchable but non-downloadable format to prevent people from doing exactly what is being requested above. They want to protect their $$$.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:54pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I've heard they're moving to a searchable but non-downloadable format to prevent people from doing exactly what is being requested above. They want to protect their $$$.
That makes perfect sense. Make it MORE DIFFICULT to gain access to the most valuable items they provide. If I wasn't already PAYING to be a member, then I wouldn't have access to the site anyway. Eliminating the need for a paper copy has to be more cost efficient. I'd be willing to trade the paper product for the electronic.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 03:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Just got an email today saying there is a searchable rule and case book now available for smart phones and the such.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
What was the app called? Looking for it on my iPhone but I'm guessing apple doesn't have it.

The iPhone and iPad versions will be released soon.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Just got an email today saying there is a searchable rule and case book now available for smart phones and the such.
For a few more $.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
That makes perfect sense. Make it MORE DIFFICULT to gain access to the most valuable items they provide. If I wasn't already PAYING to be a member, then I wouldn't have access to the site anyway. Eliminating the need for a paper copy has to be more cost efficient. I'd be willing to trade the paper product for the electronic.
The problem was that paying members were downloading it and giving it to non-paying parties or even posting it on the internet for many to see.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem was that paying members were downloading it and giving it to non-paying parties or even posting it on the internet for many to see.
The problem is that they charge for an electronic copy in the first place. The rules ought to be freely available with a printed copy costing just enough to cover the printing. The goal should be the widest possible distribution of the rules, not turning the rules into a profit center.

The cost of the app ($5.99) is shocking especially as it is clear they intend to make you pay each year.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The problem is that they charge for an electronic copy in the first place. The rules ought to be freely available with a printed copy costing just enough to cover the printing. The goal should be the widest possible distribution of the rules, not turning the rules into a profit center.

The cost of the app ($5.99) is shocking especially as it is clear they intend to make you pay each year.
For the NFHS, the rule book sales (an now the electronic sales) is their primary source of revenue and is used to fund their operations. They can't give it away for cost or cost plus a little or they couldn't operate. They basically have no other way to collect money.

The NCAA does as you suggest....providing free downloadable versions. But, as is obvious, they make money from other sources far larger than they'd ever make in rulebook sales.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;796999]For the NFHS, the rule book sales (an now the electronic sales) is their primary source of revenue and is used to fund their operations. They can't give it away for cost or cost plus a little or they couldn't operate. They basically have no other way to collect money.

Do I understand this correctly and there is a downloadable version of the NFHS rule book? (other than the app) I looked and all I found was the hard copy. Im willing to pay just would rather have it on my comp. Thanks
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=kwatson;797002]
Quote:
Do I understand this correctly and there is a downloadable version of the NFHS rule book? (other than the app) I looked and all I found was the hard copy. Im willing to pay just would rather have it on my comp. Thanks
There was as one point for those that had an NFHS membership (which, by the way, is often paid for through your state association). But those paying members often passed it along to those that didn't have an NFHS membership I think they ultimately removed it in favor of a searchable reference which is not so easily transferable....as well as once the app was made available.