The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   By The Book ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98837-book.html)

BillyMac Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:11pm

By The Book ...

I know that this topic has been discussed here on the Forum a while back, but I decided to resurrect it because it really happened in my girls varsity game tonight.

Before the pregame ten minute mark, both head coaches requested to have players' names added to the official book because they expected these players to eventually show up, but due to transportation issues, they would probably be late.

We allowed them to add the names.

By the book, as a written test question, were we correct?

PG_Ref Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 946707)
I know that this topic has been discussed here on the Forum a while back, but I decided to resurrect it because it really happened in my girls varsity game tonight.

Before the pregame ten minute mark, both head coaches requested to have players' names added to the official book because they expected these players to eventually show up, but due to transportation issues, they would probably be late.

10-1
ART. 2

A team shall not:

After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1:
b. Add a name to the team member list.

So, were you correct?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:13pm

Quote:

Before the 10-minute mark, they can erase the whole damn roster and replace it with another.

BigCat Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18pm

Quote:

as a test question i dont think it is correct. the team is to provide you with name and number of each "team member." team member is defined somewhere in the book as a player, in uniform, eligible to play.

technically speaking you may have to wait until they show up to add them to the book and then assess the T. i would have done what you did....

zm1283 Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:28am

I'm not making them wait until the player shows up to add them to the book. If they want to put them in the book, put them in there. That's not a booger I want to pick.

constable Sat Dec 13, 2014 05:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 946711)
as a test question i dont think it is correct. the team is to provide you with name and number of each "team member." team member is defined somewhere in the book as a player, in uniform, eligible to play.

technically speaking you may have to wait until they show up to add them to the book and then assess the T. i would have done what you did....

Rule reference please? I'm not seeing it.

Nevadaref Sat Dec 13, 2014 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 946711)

So if a team has two vans transporting the kids to a school and the coach/manager arrives in one of them 15 minutes before the scheduled tip-off and submits the roster and then learns that the other van got a flat tire and won't arrive until two minutes before the scheduled start time, are you saying that all of the names of the kids in the second van must have their names removed?
1. That's absurd. 2. There is no rule requiring that.

I had a JV game last week in which a kid forgot his jersey at home, so a parent went back to get it. He warmed up in a t-shirt and was listed in the book as normal with his jersey number. He simply didn't participate until after his parent arrived with his jersey. Now since he wasn't "in uniform" do you believe that he wasn't a team member at the beginning of that contest? He most certainly is a member of the team.

BillyMac Sat Dec 13, 2014 09:01am

Written Test Question ...

Remember, I'm not talking about realistic officiating here. I slept well last night after allowing those names to be added to the book.

I'm really interested in this as a by-the-rulebook written test question, like one of those tricky questions that the NFHS, or IAABO, comes up with every year.

Please continue discussing.

PG_Ref Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 946725)
Remember, I'm not talking about realistic officiating here. I slept well last night after allowing those names to be added to the book.

I'm really interested in this as a by-the-rulebook written test question, like one of those tricky questions that the NFHS, or IAABO, comes up with every year.

Ok, well article 1 states ...
ART. 1

A team shall not:

Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate ...

So, if they show up after the 10 min mark, and the official scorer already has their info, seems like they've met the requirement. Remember, the requirement is to provide the official scorer with the required information. Not make sure they are in the book by the 10 min mark.

Adam Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 946725)

Billy, if there's no rule against it....

StripedYooper Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34am

You handled it properly. The book can be modified up until the ten minute mark without any issue. Players can arrive late as long as their number and name are in the book there shouldn't be any penalty.

BigCat Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 946720)
So if a team has two vans transporting the kids to a school and the coach/manager arrives in one of them 15 minutes before the scheduled tip-off and submits the roster and then learns that the other van got a flat tire and won't arrive until two minutes before the scheduled start time, are you saying that all of the names of the kids in the second van must have their names removed?
1. That's absurd. 2. There is no rule requiring that.

I had a JV game last week in which a kid forgot his jersey at home, so a parent went back to get it. He warmed up in a t-shirt and was listed in the book as normal with his jersey number. He simply didn't participate until after his parent arrived with his jersey. Now since he wasn't "in uniform" do you believe that he wasn't a team member at the beginning of that contest? He most certainly is a member of the team.

HE ASKED IT AS A TEST QUESTION-- NOT REALITY--
Rule 3 says give names and numbers of all TEAM MEMBERS. TEAM MEMBERS are defined 4-34 as players in uniform eligible to participate. just based on these two things i could see a test question and an NFHS answer (absurd) saying players have to be in uniform before you can add them to book.

Adam Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 946732)
Rule 3 says give names and numbers of all TEAM MEMBERS. TEAM MEMBERS are defined 4-34 as players in uniform eligible to participate. just based on these two things i could see a test question and an NFHS answer (absurd) saying players have to be in uniform before you can add them to book.

That would surprise even me. There's no rule against it, it's normal practice (some coaches just submit a full roster every time even if players are sick or academically ineligible for the week), and no one really cares.

The NFHS can come up with some weird rulings, but I'd be shocked if this one ever came out. I'd eat my basketball belt.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 946732)

If the players aren't there, how do you know they aren't in uniform?

BigCat Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 946735)
If the players aren't there, how do you know they aren't in uniform?

the team member provision is included with the bench person reference. says i think team member IS in uniform and IS eligible to participate. if your not there your not on bench and your not eligible to go in...until you get there..

i have them put everybody down. i'm not arguing player has to be there...im just looking at those two provisions and saying i could see a goofy test question saying they all have to be there...there is the provision saying penalty to add a name to list after 10 minute mark. if you can write them all down to begin with you never have to add a name...

again, im just looking at this as a test type situation. i can see from these provisions that they could declare you have to be there in uniform....before name goes in book...that would be dumb, stupid and every other adjective...but i've seen dumb, stupid before....