The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Goaltending during a FT

Its' goaltending (and a T) during a FT to touch the ball when it's outside the cylinder.

So, what if the ball is touched within the cylinder? What if a player reaches through the basket from below and contacts the ball outside the cylinder? By rule, these would seem to be BI, but then why would the penalty be less (no T)?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 11:25pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Its' goaltending (and a T) during a FT to touch the ball when it's outside the cylinder.

So, what if the ball is touched within the cylinder? What if a player reaches through the basket from below and contacts the ball outside the cylinder? By rule, these would seem to be BI, but then why would the penalty be less (no T)?
My understanding was that if a player was going to goaltend on a FT it was going to be a blatant lane violation typically on purpose. That is why a t is warranted for the goal tend. The BI with a ball bouncing around during a FT would usually be normal play and not warrant a T.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
My understanding was that if a player was going to goaltend on a FT it was going to be a blatant lane violation typically on purpose. That is why a t is warranted for the goal tend. The BI with a ball bouncing around during a FT would usually be normal play and not warrant a T.
also and maybe more so because you are not allowed to try to block or even touch a free throw attempt. In college it is a T also to goaltend FT. They don't have to violate lane provisions to do it because they could leave on release. Same now High school. Like you said it is because if you do it it has to be on purpose and egregious. The player who does it is being an a__thx
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

BI can occur from just playing the rebound a bit too eagerly before the ball clears the rim. There is no reasonable excuse to accidentally GT a FT. Touching the ball through the basket while the ball is still outside the cylinder should probably be worthy of a T but that is so incredibly rare, far more so than the still rare GT on a FT, I guess it is OK if it falls under BI and only gets a violation.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 06:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unannounced ???

I'm not trying to hijack anything, but the mention of basket interference, and goaltending, in the same thread gives me an opportunity to bring up one of my major NFHS pet peeves:

If you have a situation where a player touches the ball during a field-goal try, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, while the ball is in the cylinder, and the ball has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, then, by strict interpretation of the written definition, the official can call either a goaltending violation, or a basket interference violation.

The definition of goaltending did contain the requirement of the ball having to be outside of the imaginary cylinder through the 2003-04 season. For some unknown reason the rule was edited, without comment, or announcement, for the 2004-05 season and that part of the definition was dropped.

2002-03 NFHS 4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while: a) the ball is in downward flight. b) the entire ball is above the level of the basket ring. c) the ball has the possibility of entering the basket in flight. d) the ball is not touching an imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.

2012-13 NFHS 4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 07, 2014 at 07:03am.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The BI with a ball bouncing around during a FT would usually be normal play and not warrant a T.
I agree, once the ball has touched the rim. But, it's possible to BI before that, and, in my mind, should carry the same penalty as GT on a FT.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree, once the ball has touched the rim. But, it's possible to BI before that, and, in my mind, should carry the same penalty as GT on a FT.
I thinking BI is something that could easily happen and would be a hefty penalty for what is essentially a normal basketball play like any other type of shot. GT during a FT is not a normal basketball play.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 09:59am
Do not give a damn!!

For the record, this is what a GT during a FT looks like.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I thinking BI is something that could easily happen and would be a hefty penalty for what is essentially a normal basketball play like any other type of shot. GT during a FT is not a normal basketball play.

Peace
The BI that I am talking about is NOT a normal basketball play -- it's just as egregious as the GT and should, imo, have the same penalty.

Once the ball hits the rim, then I agree -- any BI is now a normal play and the 1-point penalty is sufficient.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

I guess I see your point Bob, but it seems to me that would be very difficult and rare to do such a thing in the first place. The ball would have to bounce right and the player would have to be in the perfect position.

As discussed in "our" meeting last night, the actions that I showed in this video, the team was doing it as a strategic action. They felt GTing the ball was going to give them a shot to keep the clock stopped and just get the ball back. The coach did not know it was a T and instructed his player to block the ball. In your situation, so much would have to bounce the right way (pun intended) to accomplish that goal (pun intended).

Peace
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ball would have to bounce right and the player would have to be in the perfect position.
Peace
I think Bob is saying that if the ball is "in the cylinder", even if it had not yet hit, it would normally be BI not GT. There would be no bounce in this scenario.

As BillyMac points out for NFHS, though, you might have some rule backing to call it GT and assess the T.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I think Bob is saying that if the ball is "in the cylinder", even if it had not yet hit, it would normally be BI not GT. There would be no bounce in this scenario.

As BillyMac points out for NFHS, though, you might have some rule backing to call it GT and assess the T.
But BI does not mean hitting the ball necessarily. Not sure how you get the ball in the cylinder without GT on a FT which does not require usually 4 points to have GT during any other shot. But in a FT situation, you do not need those 4 things to apply. Once you touch the ball on a FT on the way to the basket, you get the heavier penalty. Maybe I am missing how that is really possible in most cases.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure how you get the ball in the cylinder without GT on a FT
The definition of "GT on a FT" specifically says "outside the cylinder."

In the video you provided, what if the contact had been made a foot later (or whatever -- I didn't watch it again)? The ball would have been in the cylinder.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

In the video you provided, what if the contact had been made a foot later (or whatever -- I didn't watch it again)? The ball would have been in the cylinder.
I get you on this, but I do not think the rule's intent is to call BI if the ball already hit the rim or the backboard.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 07, 2014, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bob, under the rules as written it would not be a T. should be cause just as egregious but rule wording doesn't make that goaltending. GOALTENDING "occurs when player touches ball during FIELD GOAL TRY OT TAP while on downward flight above ring level….. Billy Mac points out with that definition a ball in the cylinder can now be BI or goaltending. But it is limited to field goal try or tap.

The goaltending definition relating to a free throw says it is goaltending if you touch the ball outside the cylinder. To have rule basis for the T it should say something like it is goaltending during a free throw if a player touches the ball before it hits the basket ring.