The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:29pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

Goaltending

Not that I'm remedial, but can one of you rule gurus please pass me the rule real quick for goaltending in HS where a shot cannot be blocked/deflected once it has already hit the backboard?

Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Check the back of your Rule book...(the chart, differences between NFHS and NCAA)...

what you are stating is actually a NCAA rule.

Goaltending

NFHS....."Player touches the ball during a try/tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight."

NCAA...."Same as NFHS and includes a ball that contacts the backboard when it is entierly above the ring level is considered to be on its downward flight."
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 08:10pm.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:03pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

B-Mac,

I'm talking about after the ball hits the backboard on an attempted shot and its on the way towards the cylinder, can a defender just come and slap it off with no goaltending being called?

And for reference, please DO NOT use the reference of what happened last night in the Gonzaga-Tennessee game -- that was blatant basket interference.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
B-Mac,

I'm talking about after the ball hits the backboard on an attempted shot and its on the way towards the cylinder, can a defender just come and slap it off with no goaltending being called?

And for reference, please DO NOT use the reference of what happened last night in the Gonzaga-Tennessee game -- that was blatant basket interference.

REALLY?

Says who?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Asked About Goaltending, Not Basketball Interference ...

Quote:
NFHS:
Ball on upward trajectory, outside cylinder: No violation
Ball on downward trajectory, outside cylinder: Goaltending
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
B-Mac,

You might want to check the thread about that game.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not that I'm remedial, but can one of you rule gurus please pass me the rule real quick for goaltending in HS where a shot cannot be blocked/deflected once it has already hit the backboard?
No, we can't. It doesn't exist.

Quote:
B-Mac,

Did the Tennessee player touch the ball? No.
Did the Tennessee player touch the basket while the ball was ON or WITHIN the BASKET? No.
Do you understand that a player is allowed to touch the basket while the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the basket? No.

Congratulations, it takes real effort to be so wrong twice in a single thread!

PS
I would welcome this newbie, but he likely won't be here long.

Unfortunately, we probably can't help him anyway. His beliefs seem to be quite firm. It's tough to teach someone the right way when his mind is closed and he is already SO committed to a misconception.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

I believe this could be tossed in as one of the most misunderstood rules. I graded our associations test and the question that matched this sitch was easily the most missed question.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
I believe this could be tossed in as one of the most misunderstood rules.
See post #3.

Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
B-Mac,

the difference is that in NCAA this year, if a defender contacts a shot after it hits the backboard (ball has to be completely above rim) it is to be considered on it's downward flight and therefore goal tending.

this rule interpretation does not apply to NFHS

Regarding the Gonz -Tenn reference you need to check the NCAA rule - it requires that the player reaching through the rim contact the ball for there to be BI which did not occur.