The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 01, 2014, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

ncaa mens test

question 5.
On A-1's throw-in from Team A's front court, A-2 catches the ball in the air and lands first with a foot in the front court followed by the other foot in the backcourt. Ruling- Legal play. they say false.
they site 9-13.10
Art. 10. After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his front court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court. what am i missing?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
question 5.
On A-1's throw-in from Team A's front court, A-2 catches the ball in the air and lands first with a foot in the front court followed by the other foot in the backcourt. Ruling- Legal play. they say false.
they site 9-13.10
Art. 10. After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his front court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court. what am i missing?
Nothing as far as I can tell. The highlighted part of the rule makes the play legal.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

who would one contact about such an issue? questions about the test?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 09:26am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
who would one contact about such an issue? questions about the test?

send adams or hyland an email. did you pass the test, if so, does it really make a difference?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
send adams or hyland an email. did you pass the test, if so, does it really make a difference?
thought they might want to know they had a mistake on their test.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 12:36pm
beware big brother

that is why I gave you the names of the people to email before I made a flippant comment.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that is why I gave you the names of the people to email before I made a flippant comment.
everyone is a comedian
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 08:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I just did...in addition to the OP's question, there was also another incorrect answer on the test.

A-1 is in the act of shooting when A-2 fouls B-2 before A-1's shot is released. The shot is successful. Ruling- Do not count the goal and award B-2 the appropriate free throws if Team B is in the bonus. Otherwise, award the ball to Team B at a designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred.

a. True
b. False (my answer)
Explanation
6-5.1.f, 10-1 Penalty a.

The underlined portions make this answer FALSE, my answer was marked as incorrect.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just did...in addition to the OP's question, there was also another incorrect answer on the test.

A-1 is in the act of shooting when A-2 fouls B-2 before A-1's shot is released. The shot is successful. Ruling- Do not count the goal and award B-2 the appropriate free throws if Team B is in the bonus. Otherwise, award the ball to Team B at a designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred.

a. True
b. False (my answer)
Explanation
6-5.1.f, 10-1 Penalty a.

The underlined portions make this answer FALSE, my answer was marked as incorrect.
Agree....until the shot is released it would be a team control foul.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 11:32pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

a. True
b. False (my answer)
Explanation
6-5.1.f, 10-1 Penalty a.

I would be interested in their response, when and if they do respond.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Response per Arbiter:

1. On A-1's throw-in from Team A's front court, A-2 catches the ball in the air and lands first with a foot in the front court followed by the other foot in the backcourt. Ruling: Legal play.
The correct answer is TRUE. Rule 9-13.10.

2. A-1 is in the act of shooting when A-2 fouls B-2 before A-1's shot is released. The shot is successful. Ruling: Do not count the goal and award B-2 the appropriate free throws if Team B is in the bonus. Otherwise, award the ball to Team Bat a designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred.
The correct answer is FALSE. Rule 6-5.1.f, 10-1 Penalty a.

3. After being verbally abused by a fan along the sideline, A-1 leaves the court to confront the fan and verbally abuses the fan. Ruling- Since there was no physical contact with the fan by A-1, the officials should assess A-1 with a Class A unsporting technical foul. Ruling: The correct answer is that a flagrant technical foul should be assessed. However, since flagrant technical fouls are also listed under Class A Unsporting Technical Infractions in Rule 10-3, both TRUE and FALSE answers will be considered correct.

4. On a designated spot throw-in, the thrower-in must always keep at least one foot on or over the designated spot. T-F
The correct answer is FALSE. Once the ball is released by the thrower-in and crosses the plane of the sideline/end line, the designated spot restrictions are no longer in effect even though the throw-in may not have ended. Rule 7-6.8.c & .d.