The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS vs. NCAA Mens

I am making the transition from HS to college ball (Mens) and what are the big differences to study between the two??

- Shot clock
- Technical Fouls (POI), except dead ball tech/flagrant
- No timeout with momentum carrying you out

Right now off the top of my head this is all that comes to mind. Any others?? Or pointers??
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 09:47pm
M.A.S.H.

There is a nice table with the major differences in the back of NFHS Rule Book.

That's where I started and it helped me out a lot.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 09:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

In NCAA-M, an airborne shooter who commits a common foul is not assessed a player control foul.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

• Restricted Area.
  • Flagrant Fouls (classifications)
  • Bleeding player

Actually there are a lot of differences. I think is better to read a lot of definitions and read the casebook. If you just rely on differences, you will screw up the many facets of a rule. There really are not shortcuts to learning rules at that level.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I am making the transition from HS to college ball (Mens) and what are the big differences to study between the two??

- Shot clock
- Technical Fouls (POI), except dead ball tech/flagrant
- No timeout with momentum carrying you out

Right now off the top of my head this is all that comes to mind. Any others?? Or pointers??
You need to master the NCAA rule book independently of the NFHS rule book. There are many small differences that turn out being huge.

The rules are different for an airborne player w/the ball who falls to the ground (ie: a player who jumps to catch a pass or rebound and then falls straight to the floor). The rules are different if a defensive player is laying (lying???) on the floor and A1 trips over him. You have the stopped clock in the last minute of the second half and OT on made baskets. Rules concerning substitutions in the last minute if you have an inadvertant whistle or correction to the score or time. Different categorization of technical fouls and whether or not they apply to the team foul count. Different rule concerning who may shoot the 2nd shot of a technical foul. Injured players who cannot shoot their own foul shots.

See what I'm getting at? Master the rules separately and then worry about what may be different or the same.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 07:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The rules are different for an airborne player w/the ball who falls to the ground (ie: a player who jumps to catch a pass or rebound and then falls straight to the floor).
They are? Isn't that sitch a travel in both rulesets?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
They are? Isn't that sitch a travel in both rulesets?
FED 4-44-5a: A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

NCAA 4-72-6: It is travelling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

AR 132 indicates that it is "virtually impossible" not to move the pivot foot when falling to the floor.

The rules are different, but 95% of the plays would be called the same.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 09:56am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAA 4-72-6: It is travelling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.
I actually knew that reference, but I guess I didn't think of that rule in reference to an airborne player. I always thought of it as a player standing with the ball and going to a knee. In that case, it would be pretty easy to maintain a pivot foot.

Re-reading it, I can see that would also apply to the airborne player. So, my bad. (But I think we could remove the word "virtually" from that AR.)