The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
But if I were to have seen it, or my partner, no matter what it's a T.
Do you mean that if your partner tells you he saw it and passed on it, you would call a T?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Do you mean that if your partner tells you he saw it and passed on it, you would call a T?
I would ideally like him to make the call, but yes I would discuss it with him and if he didn't posses the testicular fortitude I would do the heavy lifting. It's a T, and not a judgement call.

I would also make it clear to him that I would report the situation to the assignor, if after a discussion he didn't want to call the T, and that he would be CC'd on any correspondence as he would be completely neglecting his responsibility.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
+1. So what if you do see it? Doesn't pop the rim, just jumps up and grabs it and let's go. 4 tenths left. Anybody calling it?
Yes, that's an infraction. The rule states "grasp either basket" so that includes not only the ring, but the net, flange, and any braces too.

Stop fussing over whether or not a movable ring flexed or snapped. That is not part of or required by the rule.

Don't care about the time remaining or the score! Have the courage to make any call at anytime in the contest.

For the OP, if none of the officials observed it, it shouldn't be called.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 05:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I would ideally like him to make the call, but yes I would discuss it with him and if he didn't posses the testicular fortitude I would do the heavy lifting. It's a T, and not a judgement call.
I think every T involves a certain amount of judgment with regard to the context of the action. Do you call a T every time somebody on the bench makes a travel signal? "shall not attempt to influence an official's decision."
Would you call one if your partner told you he had seen this?

A brief show of exuberance for a kid who erroneously thought the game was over is unlikely to draw a T from me, let alone if I hear about it second hand.
jmo

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:23pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
I think every T involves a certain amount of judgment with regard to the context of the action. Do you call a T every time somebody on the bench makes a travel signal? "shall not attempt to influence an official's decision."
Would you call one if your partner told you he had seen this?

A brief show of exuberance for a kid who erroneously thought the game was over is unlikely to draw a T from me, let alone if I hear about it second hand.
jmo
This is my thought as well.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This is my thought as well.
Sometimes there is discretion in calling a technical foul and sometimes there isn't. For unsporting technicals, actions which everyone in the gym can see need to be dealt with according to the rules.
Passing on the action described in the OP would be wrong. There is a clear rule which the player broke and he did it in front of everyone.
Btw even if time had expired, if he did this before the officials left, he still gets penalized, so don't use the excuse that he thought the game was over.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Varsity level playoff game? Only two officials? If so, that may be one reason why the action wasn't seen by someone on the crew. Probably not the only thing the crew "didn't see" that night through no fault of their own. Just a thought.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
end of story
Exactly, I'm not going to ask non-officials if someone committed a foul or violation.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

If I see it, it's a T.
If my partner saw it, passed on it, and tells me he saw it, it's a T.

This is not a judgement call.

If neither of us sees it, there's NO CHANCE I'm asking the scorekeepers if they saw it, and certainly no chance I'm asking any players.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 01:51pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Btw even if time had expired, if he did this before the officials left, he still gets penalized, so don't use the excuse that he thought the game was over.

Let us know how the conversation with your assignor goes when you take the opportunity to call this after one of your games. I am sure your assignor will be pleased you got the rule right
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Let us know how the conversation with your assignor goes when you take the opportunity to call this after one of your games. I am sure your assignor will be pleased you got the rule right
Did you learn anything from the Arizona/Arizona St 2OT game earlier this year?
This kind of behavior needs to be penalized no matter what is on the clock.

Guess you are still part of the camp saying that the game has been decided, so leave this alone. How did that work out for that crew with the PAC12 assignor?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 03:29pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Did you learn anything from the Arizona/Arizona St 2OT game earlier this year?
This kind of behavior needs to be penalized no matter what is on the clock.

Guess you are still part of the camp saying that the game has been decided, so leave this alone. How did that work out for that crew with the PAC12 assignor?
The difference was that in the AZ vs ASU game time hadn't expired and the T should have been called. If the ASU player waited for the clock to run out and then dunked the ball and hung on the rim like that, not one person would have said a thing. Like I said in my previous post, good luck calling that after the time has expired. People will be impressed with you rules knowledge.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If I see it, it's a T.
If my partner saw it, passed on it, and tells me he saw it, it's a T.

This is not a judgement call.

If neither of us sees it, there's NO CHANCE I'm asking the scorekeepers if they saw it, and certainly no chance I'm asking any players.
Since this is not a judgement call, I think you have a obligation to confer with the scorekeeper and/or timer as they are part of your crew.

I see this similarly to a situation if neither official saw if a basket was made on a shooting foul. This is not a judgement call either, the ball either went in the basket or it didn't. I would hope you would confer with your table in that situation, because you should.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 04:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Since this is not a judgement call, I think you have a obligation to confer with the scorekeeper and/or timer as they are part of your crew.

I see this similarly to a situation if neither official saw if a basket was made on a shooting foul. This is not a judgement call either, the ball either went in the basket or it didn't. I would hope you would confer with your table in that situation, because you should.
The rules tell us we can confer with the table for some scoring issues. I would not consult the table for something like this.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The rules tell us we can confer with the table for some scoring issues. I would not consult the table for something like this.
Comparing this to a scoring ruling is ridiculous IMO.