The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 09:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Jack Del Rio - NFL Officials Should Use Common Sense

Jack Del Rio: NFL officials need to use more 'common sense' - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Is it possible he's half right?

Personally, the notion that the refs should throw out the book and use common sense instead is flat out stupid... everyone's "common sense" differs - asking for this is asking for anarchy.

I do believe the rule on the catch seems to defy common sense, but the rule is the rule. Go complain to the rules committee if you want.

However, I've thought the NFL celebration rules have been progressively more insane each year and nearly every year. They need to simplify. Either get rid of it a la NCAA ... or allow anything that is not directly taunting the opponents or delaying the game. This "can't use a prop", "can't touch the ground" stuff is ludicrous.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:23am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I'd like to see a little common sense injected into the officiating, allow our referees to use judgment.
And then when judgement comes back to bite him on the @$$, he'll be screaming that the official used poor judgment.

The NFL has it like they need it to be-its hard but its fair as an old coach of mine used to say.

This too, shall pass-another saying from an old co-worker.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

How about the players/coaches showing some common sense by not doing stupid stuff to cause the problems in the first place?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

You can thank instant replay for making this rule too technical and removing a lot of the common sense and judgment.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

I love the common sense part of this. Yes they should use common sense like they did before and coaches complained they were not getting the right calls. Rules are there because the rules before did not work. If you allow officials to decide what is or is not based on "common sense" and not some hard fast rules or judgments (which also must be stated has been reviewed visually in the NFL as well) then you will not have consistency which coaches claim they want the most. They cannot have it both ways.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I love the common sense part of this. Yes they should use common sense like they did before and coaches complained they were not getting the right calls. Rules are there because the rules before did not work. If you allow officials to decide what is or is not based on "common sense" and not some hard fast rules or judgments (which also must be stated has been reviewed visually in the NFL as well) then you will not have consistency which coaches claim they want the most. They cannot have it both ways.

Peace
Not to mention that the coaches are the ones that help come up with the rules, I believe.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
Not to mention that the coaches are the ones that help come up with the rules, I believe.
Yes they do especially in the NFL. If they do not like the rule they can change it. But do not be surprised when the next controversy is about what they came up with.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Im glad Osgood scored in his first game in JAX, I know him personally and we miss him in San Diego already, as for the rule not going to the ground to celebrate that is retarded but the officials enforced the rule properly
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 08:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
you can thank instant replay for making this rule too technical and removing a lot of the common sense and judgment.
+1
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 12:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Jack Del Rio clearly didn't use common sense when he said that officials should use common sense.