Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 02:19pm
Broadcaster

It should be common sense, but...

I saw this comment on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
In all honesty, this is something I would never cover with my partner during pre-game. It should be common sense...
This made me think...what instances have you had where you thought something was common sense, but in hindsight you should have covered with your partner(s)?
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 02:36pm
Stirrer of the Pot

One that happened to me recently was when I had a two-man partner who covered catch/no-catch from the A position on balls hit from F8 all the way to foul territory. He caught me totally unaware as I tracked a ball going deep into center that F8 failed to catch at the fence. I didn't see him until the ball landed on the ground.

Thank goodness that the defense didn't appeal the BR's touch of first base, because I had no clue.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 02:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
One that happened to me recently was when I had a two-man partner who covered catch/no-catch from the A position on balls hit from F8 all the way to foul territory. He caught me totally unaware as I tracked a ball going deep into center that F8 failed to catch at the fence. I didn't see him until the ball landed on the ground.

Thank goodness that the defense didn't appeal the BR's touch of first base, because I had no clue.
So he used proper mechanics, then.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Oh no...

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yeah, that ^^^

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure this exactly fits your topic, but most of the time, if partner agrees, when we're working long tourney's and it's hot (like, 6-8 games in a day, 2 on 1 off rotation), I tell partners doing plate that if we have a steal of 2nd on a passed ball, I'll rim the infield and take the play all the way to 3rd if it develops... saves them some running in the heat, and puts me in C when they don't go, which is most of the time.

So I go over this, partner agrees, and it happens... and I see him out of the corner of my eye as I'm saying SAFE (and selling it), he's saying out and starting to signal it. THAT was a mess.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 02, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are talking about the LF line , Right? i hope.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Everyone is reacting oddly to this one.

Do you really expect BU in A to cover the centerfielder moving back on the ball?

Rita
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 02:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Everyone is reacting oddly to this one.

Do you really expect BU in A to cover the centerfielder moving back on the ball?

Rita
Depends which way he turns. He turns towards me in A, I'm going out.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 07:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Perhaps. But the overwhelming majority of the partners I've had will only take catch/no-catch from F9 to foul territory. Until this particular game, I cannot recall a partner going out on a fly to dead center.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 07:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Perhaps. But the overwhelming majority of the partners I've had will only take catch/no-catch from F9 to foul territory. Until this particular game, I cannot recall a partner going out on a fly to dead center.
That is fine, but that is the mechanic and the option for the BU. Not sure why that would be hard to determine anyway. If my partner in the field goes out, I have everything on the diamond. It is really not that hard. It is one of the easiest mechanics to adjust to.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually Manny, U1 probably has a lot better angle and is much closer than you are from home. Usually, my pre-game goes like this , U1-"if I go out I will let you know" Me- "Thats fine I will be able to tell anyway because your the only one dressed like me however, if you do I have the bases.

I am not saying he was right in going out for your game but you should have adjusted. The game still moves on and if you see your partner is locked in to the catch, you have to adjust and picked up the bases yourself. When part of the Team screws up, the entire team looks bad.

Also, this is why you don't leave to common sense.

Last edited by jicecone; Wed Oct 03, 2012 at 07:43am.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 07:49am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is fine, but that is the mechanic and the option for the BU. Not sure why that would be hard to determine anyway. If my partner in the field goes out, I have everything on the diamond. It is really not that hard. It is one of the easiest mechanics to adjust to.

Peace
Exactly. If I see my partner turn his back and go, I know I've got everything unless we've pregamed differently. Pre-game is important and can help flesh out these things.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow. While that might be "normal" in your area, and you should definitely follow the "when in Rome" principle, this mechanic is not commonly used or taught.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not normal... but in any case, it's the PLATE umpire's responsibility to watch BU at the beginning of a fly ball to the outfield to see if he's going out. Many partners will say something if they go out, but that's often not heard anyway. YOU have to watch. If he goes out, he's got the fly ball and you've got, well, what you didn't get.

West Houston Mike