The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
I could not disagree more with that. Turning professionally to attend to the penalty and the coach following you is not running.

Standing there and then whacking gives the appearance of baiting. Actually it is more than appearance it is baiting.
Actually quite the opposite. It puts the onus on the coach, after receiving his T, to turn around and end the yapping instead of continuing down the path that he/she is on.

Turning your back in this case is just dismissive. The coach hasn't ended his tirade and the message sent is that I give my T and run away so someone else can deal with the rest. I have partner/s that can get the players ready for the T. Baiting is egging him on. Standing and listening is standing and listening.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Actually quite the opposite. It puts the onus on the coach, after receiving his T, to turn around and end the yapping instead of continuing down the path that he/she is on.

Turning your back in this case is just dismissive. The coach hasn't ended his tirade and the message sent is that I give my T and run away so someone else can deal with the rest. I have partner/s that can get the players ready for the T. Baiting is egging him on. Standing and listening is standing and listening.
Maybe in a world where body language was meaningless....
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Tantrums are when people raise their voice, flailing their arms and continue with that actions. Stop it already. If you do not like someone stepping to you, that is fine, but let us not exaggerate. And if you just act like you cannot say anything, in my parts they will run over you. Sometimes they need to know you are right here. Teddy did not even appear to be mad, except for the stereotype that certain people cannot stand up for themselves without being threatening. And we know no one ever thinks of it that way.

Peace
First of all, I was responding to deecee's comments about tantrums. I never said Valentine threw a tantrum. Never even thought that. So maybe you need to stop telling people to stop exaggerating when they aren't exaggerating in the first place.

Secondly, what the hell are you talking about stereotypes for?

And lastly, Valentine has come out and said he was wrong for responding in the way he did. So I guess those of us who thought he was wrong in the first place are on the same page as him.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 06:29pm
NFHS Official

Just my opinion on this.

If the coach steps up to me in that manner, I'm almost guaranteeing a technical is coming. So, why should we as officials be allowed to approach a coach in that manner? I think TV was wrong, and in fact Cronin is right, I doubt he would ever to it to Coach K, or Boeheim.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
From Seth Davis:

After the game, Valentine called the AAC’s supervisor of officials and acknowledged that he should not have stepped toward Cronin in such an aggressive manner. “I was just totally wrong. I was out of place by walking into his space,” Valentine told me by phone on Sunday. “It was just one of those situations where I got caught up in the moment. I was out of bounds because I walked into his domain. That’s why I didn’t give him a technical because I knew I was wrong, and two wrongs don’t make a right. If it had been 15, 16 years ago, I never would have caught myself like that.”
And now the silence begins.

At least TV knows when he made a mistake. +1 to him. I have far more respect for a person who can make a mistake and admit it than someone who tries to twist what happened to come to an unsupportable conclusion.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 07:14pm.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 08:41pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Being a big dog doesn't give him the right to do what he wants.
Uh, that's the definition of a big dog.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

I still don't have a problem with what he did. His one mistake will have a lasting effect on Cronin's behavior towards officials.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with TV actions. I have always thought why do coaches get to act like idiots with officials just standing there to take it. Cronin is a wimpy wimp that is why Teddy needed to let him smell a little of what the Rock was cookin!