The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of the Knight incident, this man is an excellent referee. 6 Final Fours, 3 National Championship Games. He is not publicity hungry. The Big Ten should have backed him up in the Knight deal.

Last night, he gave Barnes the first T, heard him out and gave him a chance to be quiet. Barnes not only continued but clearly said the magic word. Teddy Valentine had no choice, he made the ejection signal and quietly walked away. Excellent officiating. Barnes was on their case the entire 2nd half.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I totally agree with you in how Ted V handled Barnes last night. He gave Barnes more then enough chances to get himself under control, but when push came to shove Valentine had no choice but do what he did, and it was the correct thing to do.

In regards to Knight incident, the Big Ten should have stood behind Valentine more in that situation. Plus, one of the other officials had a great opportunity to step in and help Valentine and passed on it, and thought that was not right either.

Plus, the other thing that I liked about last night in the way Valentine handled things was the way he administered the ejection and the 2nd "T" to Barnes. Valentine was not "show boaty" about it, nor did he try to show Barnes up either. Valentine just quietly signaled the 2nd "T" and calmly pointed Barnes to the locker room.

Good Job Ted on a job well done and correct route taken.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Stop defending him please

Valentine is quoted in newspapers all over the country this morning as saying to Mouton upon being quetion for the cause after the fifth foul

"Shut the F--- up, this isn't the NBA"

alternatively the quote is

"Shut up, this isn't the f------ NBA"

Now, let's assume that Valentine has never missed as call in his entire life nor ever been suspeneded nor ever had his call publicly criticized by a conference.

He should be banned for life from officiating anywhere for saying that to a player. Nothing less is adequate.

That, gentlemen, is an utterly unpardonable sin. He has repeatedly let his mouth get in his way over the years.

Now, it is time for him to go forever.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Stop defending him please

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge Roy

Now, it is time for him to go forever.
And hopefully the same will be with you.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Golly, was iIwrong to write out the

newspaper quote?

Do you condone his use of such language?

Was he right to say that? wow!

Should I go for telling the truth?
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Any player who talked like that to an official that way would be ejected. There is no reason to talk that way to players. I'm sure he would not let players talk to him that way and he should not talk that way to them.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming Mouton or so-called writer is telling the truth

First of all, Judge roy, don't get personal with me. Second, today is not only the first that I'm hearing about it, but whomever quoted Valentine must have bionic ears. Why? because CBS has made no mention of this in either game. In other words, either it didn't happen or somebody thought they heard something and it's a non-story. The former is clearly the case. Considering the reputation that Valentine has been given, if this was even remotely true, he would be fired immediately. No news outlet or paper has reported this. It's not even on the Internet. Don't waste my time with a fake news story. Bottom line, Barnes didn't give Valentine any choice and he used the magic words. Valentine did his job and walked away. Excellent officiating.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Don't put words in my mouth

I am an assistant high school basketball coach. We don't even allow our players to talk to the officials. So why would I condone officials cursing at my players? Clearly I wouldn't. But since our players don't say anything to the officials then they would never have reason to curse at one of our players right? If Valentine did it, clearly I wouldn't condone it. Not only, however, has no story been reported, it's not true.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

The Dallas Morning News quoted him as saying "Shut the [expletive] up, you're not in the NBA." You can read the article here http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....c53d278d.html.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Dear BushRef

That was that coach and that team, which was clearly undisciplined and OC. That's not us. And the rule is strictly obeyed on our squad. We assistants don't even talk to the officials. We play in the toughest conference in New Jersey (Watchung Conference). My first year, not only did we win the State Championship but we also won the Sportsmanship Award which was presented to us by the Local Referee's Board. Both the championship and sportsmanship banner hang up in our gym.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
The Dallas Morning News quoted him as saying "Shut the [expletive] up, you're not in the NBA." You can read the article here http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....c53d278d.html.
Uh, just because it was in the newspaper doesn't necessarily mean that it's true. Especially a hometown, biased newspaper. Probably the only two people that know for sure what was said were Mouton and Valentine. And I haven't heard Valentine's side (and probably never will). Until I do,......

Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:52pm
In Memoriam

Re: Dear Redoubtable1

Quote:
Originally posted by redoubtable1
That's not us. And the rule is strictly obeyed on our squad. We assistants don't even talk to the officials. We play in the toughest conference in New Jersey (Watchung Conference). My first year, not only did we win the State Championship but we also won the Sportsmanship Award which was presented to us by the Local Referee's Board. Both the championship and sportsmanship banner hang up in our gym.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:56pm
BBallCoach

Teddy's Comment

Assuming it is true that Ted V actually said that to Moulton what do you feel should happen to him?
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Dear BushRef

Quote:
Originally posted by redoubtable1
That was that coach and that team, which was clearly undisciplined and OC. That's not us. And the rule is strictly obeyed on our squad. We assistants don't even talk to the officials. We play in the toughest conference in New Jersey (Watchung Conference). My first year, not only did we win the State Championship but we also won the Sportsmanship Award which was presented to us by the Local Referee's Board. Both the championship and sportsmanship banner hang up in our gym.

Good job Coach.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:15pm
In Memoriam

Re: Teddy's Comment

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Assuming it is true that Ted V actually said that to Moulton what do you feel should happen to him?
Straight answer? I'd really want to know EVERY single word that Mouton used before I'd even try to answer that question. If Mouton was crying and whining at Valentine, maybe Valentine did him a favor by saying that to him instead of Ting him up. Anybody that thinks that today's D1 games don't have a lot of F-shots contained in them really hasn't been paying much attention, imo. As long as they're being used as adjectives, aren't screamed out, and aren't being used to belittle or denigrate an official, I think that they're pretty much accepted anymore. It's the old story. If they can't hear it in the stands, and you're not trying to make me look bad,.....