The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.25 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Teddy Strikes Again!

Just wondering what everybody thought of Teddy V coming in and trying to overrule the foul call during the Florida game with a travel. It seemed like a strech coming from the opposit side of the floor to make that call.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes33
Just wondering what everybody thought of Teddy V coming in and trying to overrule the foul call during the Florida game with a travel. It seemed like a strech coming from the opposit side of the floor to make that call.
You'll have to provide time/sit - I know that Hightower tried to come from Trail across the flr and get a travel on a LSU player while the C (his coverage area) had a foul on UCLA approx. 1:20 into the game. After a quick huddle (where I imagine Karl Hess told Hightower - "I've got a foul first! Stay out of my area you ball-watchin' idiot!!!) the C took the foul to the table.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

That's exactly the situation I was talking about. He really made himself look bad on that play.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
I thought Hightower was lead on that play. When I hit rewind, it certainly look like the travel occurred first. But I wondered what Hess said to him. And of course it didn't help having the idiot commentator put in his "look at that overrule of an overrule"
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's exactly the situation I was talking about. He really made himself look bad on that play.
He also sounded bad on the play by blowing his whistle 9 or 10 times while running across the flr. to visibly and audibly demonstrate that his call was the better one.

That's just one example of why, IMO, Hightower did not have one of his better games. The beauty is that it didn't affect the outcome and the better team won. Congrats to him and the 9 others at the Final Four for an excellent year!
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Unhappy

Quote:
Stripes, you're gonna have to change the title of this thread now that we know you were referring to Hightower, not Valentine.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:06pm
Huck Finn

I'm amazed by the comments directed at Teddy - even though it wasn't him - and Hightower. When I mention a certain (career) U2, I catch a substantial amount of grief. I would say at least Hightower, Valentine and Hess aren't what I would consider a "safe" official. They don't mind going out on a limb every once in a while and calling something other than what everyone - including the parking lot attendant - can see.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The title should be "That black official." Considering that we all look alike, I guess it is hard to tell which official is who.

Peace
Amen to that!! Although, Teddy has a few, or even a lot, of pounds on Hightower.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
LOL I still see Senator Kennedy running the floor from Nevada's posts a few games ago. Can't remember the guy's name, but if I see him again, he will be Senator Kennedy [who I hope is not driving].
Senator Kennedy, that's pretty funny!

BTW...ya know all those girl's 8th grade games you worked this year? "Senator Kennedy" has worked more ncaa tournament games than that in his career. In fact, I would bet he's worked more D1 games than all the games you've ever seen.

Just sayin'. Carry on.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I would not prefer you call him anything. I do not think Higgins looks anything like Senator Kennedy at all. The only thing they might have a like is the same bad hair cut. Higgins and Kennedy at least have the same hair cut. Valentine and Hightower hair is not the same. One has a fade and the other has hair piece. Not sure that is the same thing.

Peace

Both hair styles scream "bald" to me.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
That's just one example of why, IMO, Hightower did not have one of his better games. The beauty is that it didn't affect the outcome and the better team won. Congrats to him and the 9 others at the Final Four for an excellent year!
Still got 40 minutes left. Hope you didn't speak too soon . . .

I don't remember what game it was, but earlier in the tournament Hightower was made a few multiple-tweet calls from across the floor too, so it's not like it wasn't apparent when he got assigned. I remember thinking that pretty much all of the time, he had them correct, for whatever that's worth.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Teddy Valentine. It's so hard to tell them apart sometimes.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Forgive me for being out of the loop, but have Hightower and Valentine kissed and made up?
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but have Hightower and Valentine kissed and made up?
All I can say is I have not seen them work together since that incident. You can draw your own conclusion from that.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Does anyone know if Hightower and Valentine are friends, acquaitences, or mere colleagues?

Oh wait, I think I may have asked this one already. tomegun???
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 12:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I doubt I could tell which white official was which in most games but I could tell that they were white. People get confused with unfamiliar people all the time if the two people have only minor similarities in their appearance...white or black. It has nothing to do with race, just that the poster doesn't know who is who.
Sh*t, I can't even identify Bobby Donato half the time and he played on the same HS basketball team with my father. And don't even get me to lying about who the short, chubby white guy is who always seems to be tossing the open jump, is it Higgins or Burr. I really didn't know until this post-season and will probably forget by the time next season starts.