The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Teddy Valentine

Watching the Michigan State vs. Wisconsin game, ESPN spent alot of time on Ted Valentine.
I guess he hurt his back by falling down some stairs at his house on Tuesday before the game.

Look like he was in a lot of pain!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

If that was the case why is he working the game...I know why $$$! If I did that with by supervisor she would fire me.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If that was the case why is he working the game...I know why $$$! If I did that with by supervisor she would fire me.
Maybe he's really only 26 years old.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe that's what he was having such a long conversation about towards end of game with Wisc coach. I don't think Izzo liked it very much.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

who cares what Izzo thinks?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

True...because I have never seen Izzo cry about a call.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Take Two Aspirin And Call The Game In The Morning ...

Sometimes you never know how you're going to feel until you actually get out on the court, run up, and down the court a few times, and make a few stops, and starts. You may feel fine at home, in the car, and warming up in the locker room, but you never know until you get out there.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BillyMac;714975]Sometimes you never know how you're going to feel until you actually get out on the court, run up, and down the court a few times, and make a few stops, and starts. You may feel fine at home, in the car, and warming up in the locker room, but you never know until you get out there.[/QUOTEA

But if Teddy can't work he leaves two officials on a Big Ten game...maybe it is best to be a professional and contact you supervisor and get off the game if there is any doubt...especially with a back injury. The game tape doesn't lie.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

He worked the Bama/S Carolina game tonight. The only noticeable thing was that he could not bend over to pick up the ball a couple of times. Other than that, he put on his usual circus act!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan10 View Post
he worked the bama/s carolina game tonight. The only noticeable thing was that he could not bend over to pick up the ball a couple of times. Other than that, he put on his usual circus act!
+1
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Things that make you go hmmm...

Snipped from the latest memo from the National Coordinator dated 1/12/11

3. A word about injuries. If you are injured, ask yourself this question before you decide to work the game. "Can I put forth the same effort that the kids will put forth in tonight's game?" If your answer is "I hope so" or "Probably not", then do the game a favor, and stay home until you are healthy.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
He worked the Bama/S Carolina game tonight. The only noticeable thing was that he could not bend over to pick up the ball a couple of times. Other than that, he put on his usual circus act!
You mean the kids don't just go and get the ball and hand it to officials?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 04:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Snipped from the latest memo from the National Coordinator dated 1/12/11

3. A word about injuries. If you are injured, ask yourself this question before you decide to work the game. "Can I put forth the same effort that the kids will put forth in tonight's game?" If your answer is "I hope so" or "Probably not", then do the game a favor, and stay home until you are healthy.

Also from the bulletin. This type of play was discussed in another thread a while ago. Don't have the inclination to find it:

2. Mechanics Clarification. In an effort to clear up a discrepancy caused by the Mechanics Manual, p. 48 and the contrary instruction given by some coordinators, effective immediately, The Center official has primary responsibility for drives to the basket initiating in his primary area of coverage provided the dribbler is guarded by a primary defender. The Lead official shall have primary responsibility for drives to the basket, originating in front of the C, that result in a block/charge play involving a secondary defender. The Center official is encouraged to signal a foul in both cases, as indicated by a raised fist (p. 78 MM) but to withhold a block charge signal on secondary defender plays in the Lead's primary area of responsibility until you have located the Lead and determined if he has a whistle on the play
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

My first time to hit the hardwood after injuring my back at work was a scrimmage with JV/V boys switched off. I rotated in when the varsity had taken the floor. They were taking me to the house, I was sucking wind and I could feel my back start to object. I pulled myself. I understand playing/calling through the pain, but why do it on such an injury such as the back that can have long term consequences?

I'm on the DL voluntarily, I didn't even ask my doc if I could call. If one can't move ways needed to on the court, why would you take the court at all? Thats just crazy talk to me.