The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it's just not fair

I am in my 14th year, it's near the end of the season. I am doing a 7th grade girls game. It's very sloppy play.

In the 2nd Q girl launches a 3 and jumps into the defender, no harm, no foul. She misses, I was lead now becoming new trail. As I pass the girls bench the ASSISTANT coach yells at me " WHERE"S THE WHISTLE" , looking ahead, I see the ball go out of bounds and I blow my whistle look at the assistant and said, " HERE'S YOUR WHISTLE" T

Sometimes, it's just too easy. Head coach comes to me and says "don't you have to warn us first?"

I explained nicely, "no, no we don't."
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:38am
Back from the DL

Some would call this inciting, but I believe others in your association would thank you for saving them hassle of hearing this AC.

I had a similar reply in my rookie year to, "Call the foul!" It was Y-league, so even his teammates were laughing at the kid.

Last edited by bainsey; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 01:38pm.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 11:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
For whatever reason, I've given out very few T's this season.

One however was in a Men's game. Less than ten secs left, team down by two and they call a TO. As I'm getting ready to report the TO to the table, one of the players comes by me running his YAP about our calls, or no calls! WHACK!

Player/coach comes up to me and states, "You can't call a T now." To which I replied, "I can call a T whenever it's earned."

Yeah, they lost.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I am in my 14th year, it's near the end of the season. I am doing a 7th grade girls game. It's very sloppy play.

In the 2nd Q girl launches a 3 and jumps into the defender, no harm, no foul. She misses, I was lead now becoming new trail. As I pass the girls bench the ASSISTANT coach yells at me " WHERE"S THE WHISTLE" , looking ahead, I see the ball go out of bounds and I blow my whistle look at the assistant and said, " HERE'S YOUR WHISTLE" T

Sometimes, it's just too easy. Head coach comes to me and says "don't you have to warn us first?"

I explained nicely, "no, no we don't."
Sometimes they tee it up and we just can't help ourselves. Don't know that I could have resisted, either, given the timing and level.

The T is a no-brainer, the commentary is what I couldn't have resisted.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:34pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

One however was in a Men's game. Less than ten secs left, team down by two and they call a TO. As I'm getting ready to report the TO to the table, one of the players comes by me running his YAP about our calls, or no calls! WHACK!

Player/coach comes up to me and states, "You can't call a T now." To which I replied, "I can call a T whenever it's earned."

Yeah, they lost.
"There's nothing in the rule book about when I can or can not give a technical foul, coach."
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Some would call this inciting, but I believe others in your association would thank you for saving them hassle of hearing this AC.
If no-calling marginal or incidental contact initiated by the offense is inciting, I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Yeah, they lost.
Last night had a mens make up game. Partner (Juco/Varsity) calls a foul on a team down 2 with less than a minute. Opposing team calls a time out. He YAP's at us. Yap's in his TO. Told to stop. Yaps as he comes out of his TO and my partner T's him. Yeah that lost the game for him...
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 02:52pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If no-calling marginal or incidental contact initiated by the offense is inciting, I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time!

Inciting refers to the "HERES YOUR WHISTLE" statement the official made to the coach in the OP, not the activity of the players.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

This was a MS level game, I would not say the same thing at the HS level, I doubt that an assistant at the HS level would have spoken to me the way this one did. It's a learning experience.

BTW, I was an assistant coach at the MS for 6 years and at the HS level for 5 years. In MS, I got a ton of T's, in HS, never 1.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:43am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Inciting refers to the "HERES YOUR WHISTLE" statement the official made to the coach in the OP, not the activity of the players.
Oh I know

Inciting (by definition) implies something that came before to cause a reaction. Saying "here's your whistle" came after the assistant yelled at Terrapins Fan. Unprofessional? Probably. Inciting? No.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
"There's nothing in the rule book about when I can or can not give a technical foul, coach."
Actually, there is. Look for jurisdiction of the officials.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:56pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
This was a MS level game, I would not say the same thing at the HS level, I doubt that an assistant at the HS level would have spoken to me the way this one did. It's a learning experience.

BTW, I was an assistant coach at the MS for 6 years and at the HS level for 5 years. In MS, I got a ton of T's...
Ah! Pay it forward!
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

When JH becomes my focus of my career, I will worry about what I say that incites them. And even JH in most cases has very little accountability to anyone. Honestly that is the best time to be a smart ass when you know you can be.

Peace