The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Fair????

What is it with some coaches Idea of fair.

Doing a mini AAU tourney 2 weeks ago and one team is a slapped together team from Utah, the other a set team from Nevada. Game underway about 2 minutes in and the Nev. coach asks for a time out. I grant it and he states to me that there are 2 #34's on the floor and "what are WE (meaning he and I) going to do about it???"

Mind you this is AAU summer ball, there is no advancement or trophy to be gained. This is just so the kids can maintain their skill set. So I look at the coach and say "nothing this is summer ball and we're just going to let the girls decide the outcome."

I Put the ball back into play and I don't charge a timeout to him and we play on. Well assistant coach runs to the site coordinator and complains. So he comes in and tells the scorekeeper to just make sure that they keep track of fouls correctly (ie backed me up). So I tell the coach at halftime that I didn't appreciate the fact that his assistant went and complained, to which he said that I'm here to enforce the rules.

So I ask, okay I'll put her (pointing to duplicate 34), on the bench, but numbers 7 & 8 from his team will be on the bench at the same time. To which he answers, this doesn't confuse the players on defense. So its not a probelm like duplicate numbers.

Man I love this game!!!!
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 03:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by garote
So I tell the coach at halftime that I didn't appreciate the fact that his assistant went and complained.....
You probably would have been better served not to have done this part. Site coordinator had already backed your decision so you had no need to say anything to the coach about it.

In fact, in the future, in these types of informal tournaments, you probably would come off better by noticing the illegal numbers first, get a quick word in with the site coordinator, then pulling both coaches together and saying "hey, we realize there are some illegal and duplicate numbers out here, but the coordinator says it's OK." Just a little preventive summer-time officiating, IMO.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Is this Shawn?

I think BNR is right, why go looking for trouble? Of course, if such behavior continues, then you need to tackle it. Or if he's somehow showing, or trying to show you up. But if Dad tells him "no" and Mom tells him "no," not a lot he can do at that point.

Too bad you didn't know he was going to be an irritating little ***** when you decided not to charge him the timeout.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad you did this now in summer league so hopefully, you won't do it again (go and tell a coach you didn't appreciate something he did).

I try to maintain good relations with coaches as best I can, but truthfully, if they don't want to do that, I couldn't care less and I'm not going to let them know about it. The only impact for me is that now, we (meaning the coach and I) are done talking -- i.e. I'm not going to give him the courtesy of explaining anything or trying to calm him down after a minor fit.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 09:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Davism for this:

See my signature.